What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

Let there be light... :b

TA.jpg

Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish | Soundsmith Strain Gauge

Let there be light... :b

TA.jpg

Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish | Soundsmith Strain Gauge

That's one cartridge [the Soundsmith] I've wanted to hear in my system :)

Hey, all. Could anybody explain the lights? Common sense would tell me for tracking the grooves in dim light or seeing dust/particles on the LP but is there any other reason for them besides the cool factor?

BTW, Blam! It sounds like you have assembled a great system.

Dear Myles,

This is definitely a good idea. :) At first , the Soundsmith cartridge sounds very ... different, but you will love it: Very broadband, very detailed and yet coherent.

Dear treitz3,

afaik, the lights haven't any reason besides the cool factor (and you can even turn them off. :D)

Is it all a question of blue? (no, it is not Kind of Blue) :)

Attachments

• aa1..jpg
    aa1..jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 702
Dear Myles,

This is definitely a good idea. :) At first , the Soundsmith cartridge sounds very ... different, but you will love it: Very broadband, very detailed and yet coherent.

Dear treitz3,

afaik, the lights haven't any reason besides the cool factor (and you can even turn them off. :D)

Well will have to wait a little longer :) Have hopefully an Atlas and Ikeda are coming in the near future :) Am very curious about the Ikeda since haven't heard it since Jeff Rowland imported it then as the Complement cartridge.

Hey, all. Could anybody explain the lights? Common sense would tell me for tracking the grooves in dim light or seeing dust/particles on the LP but is there any other reason for them besides the cool factor?

BTW, Blam! It sounds like you have assembled a great system.

I have talked to Peter from Soundsmith and it is a cool eye candy thing. That is hands down the best cartridge I have ever heard.

Dear Myles,

are you still wating for the new version of Ikeda cartridge? The new one with a real cantilever?

I think it's the 9TT?

Quite happy with my newest find: Empire EDR.9 (MM). Very fast and moving coil-like. Shibata profile.

Also B&O MMC2 (very natural across the board and nicely defined highs). NOS with the sapphire tube cantilever and line contact tip.

Denon DL-103R Soundsmith ruby canty and line contact. Nuded w/custom graphite top plate.

Dear jdza,

please help me, whats cartridge is this?

It is a custom built Blue Angel designed for use on EMT tonearms . Notice the somewhat shorter (front to back) design to fit the tight EMT type head shell.It uses a totally different design to the Mantis but using lessons learnt in that design. It has taken 4 months to perfect and even has its normally reserved designer all excited. It should meet it's custom built EMT type head shell later this week.

This has been waiting quietly for it:

thorens.jpg

Last edited:
About the thread,
I just found my new (to me ) Grace Ruby and I love it. After 10 yrs with MC, I am now a MM convert. Heaven helpgraceruby.jpg me.

Haven't seen on of those in 20 years. Are they still making the Ruby?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing