What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

Dear Lord, most definitely Vance.

Good deal. It'll make a world of difference with your vinyl pleasure. ;)

Dear audio - friends!

The cartridege I use?

Mainly one: van den Hul - The Colibri XPW Grenadilla Platinium ... a little singing bird...

Last edited:
Dear audio - friends!

The cartridege I use?

Mainly one: van den Hul - The Colibri XPW Grenadilla Platinium ... a little singing bird...

I'm aware of the Colibri but what did AJ cook up for you? ;)

Dear Myles,

nothing special, only one small bird, as he built already many:

This is a XPW a colibri with platina coils and grenadilla wood body, an african very hard wood which is used for instruments like a clarinette.

Last edited:
VDH - XPW Colibri @ Grenadilla Wood Body - Platinum

Tom, this looks like a serious high quality cartridge build uniquely for best performance,
and without any frivolity.

Dear NothStar,

hm perfect? What's this? Is it possible that a cartridge is perfect? Is there anywhere out there a perfect cartridge?

I think there are many other very good cartridges out there. But I don't believe that anyone is perfect.

Also the colibri XPW isn't perfect.

But I have much joy and pleasure with this colibri.

I never was so releaxt when I listen to the musik like the day I got this colibri, few weeks ago.

I know what the the famous sharp needles out from the netherlands able to do, I owned many others of AJs little wonders before this one.

They make my sound. A sound like poisen. If you listen one time to this cartridges, you will never listen any of them, or like me, you will never listen without them.

The XPW - Grenadilla Platinium is the best cartridge of the dutch master whom I ever listened to.

I love it very much.

Last edited:
Dear NothStar,

hm perfect? What's this? Is it possible that a cartridge is perfect? Is there anywhere out there a perfect cartridge?

I think there are many other very good cartridges out there. But I don't believe that anyone is perfect.

Also the colibri XPW isn't perfect.

But I have much joy and pleasure with this colibri.

I never was so releaxt when I listen to the musik like the day I got this colibri, few weeks ago.

I know what the the famous sharp needles out from the netherlands able to do, I owned many others of AJs little wonders before this one.

They make my sound. A sound like poisen. If you listen one time to this cartridges, you will never listen any of them, or like me, you will never listen without them.

The XPW - Grenadilla Platinium is the best cartridge of the dutch master whom I ever listened to.

I love it very much.

What's the output of the vdH GP? Also, what's the difference between yours and the "standard" Colibri?

Dear Myles,

What's the output of the vdH GP?
This one has an output of 0,35mV at 5 sec. Is is a low output cartridge in vdHs ranking.

Also, what's the difference between yours and the "standard" Colibri?

A standart Refference Colibri is made with a polycarbonat - body and with copper or gold coils.

The colibri with platinium coils is only on demand but usually build on a plastic body.

The next step is build the colibri with the wooden body. But I think this body is out of production now.

It was a limited edition.

If you interested in this body, you should ask if there is a last one in stock.

This Colibri is made with platinium coils and a grenadilla wood body .

Collected a dramatic improvement results in relation to the very good standard colibri.

The platinum coils were for a long time sell off. The manufacturer of van the Hul it referred, an old japanese, died some years ago. For about two years there are new platinum coils, and they are very good.

As said, there are these coils only on demand. On the homepage are not registered they.

Last edited:
Dear Myles,

nothing special, only one small bird, as he built already many:

This is a XPW a colibri with platina coils and grenadilla wood body, an african very hard wood which is used for instruments like a clarinette.

It looks like an exotic cousin of my Black Beauty XP - congratulations!
I can not imagine how the Mozart clarinet concerto K622 sounds with this great looking cartridge. :)

Dear Myles,

This one has an output of 0,35mV at 5 sec. Is is a low output cartridge in vdHs ranking.

A standart Refference Colibri is made with a polycarbonat - body and with copper or gold coils.

The colibri with platinium coils is only on demand but usually build on a plastic body.

The next step is build the colibri with the wooden body. But I think this body is out of production now.

It was a limited edition.

If you interested in this body, you should ask if there is a last one in stock.

This Colibri is made with platinium coils and a grenadilla wood body .

Collected a dramatic improvement results in relation to the very good standard colibri.

The platinum coils were for a long time sell off. The manufacturer of van the Hul it referred, an old japanese, died some years ago. For about two years there are new platinum coils, and they are very good.

As said, there are these coils only on demand. On the homepage are not registered they.

Thanks Tom!

But I infer that the cartridge is then very light? Or does AJ add mass in some way?

Dear microstrip!

The Black Beauty was a great cartridge, I owned also one a few years ago.

@ Miles: Please underestimates the weight of grenadille not, it is more heavily than one thinks and no light wood.
I didn't compare the wood body with an other one, but the attitudes of the tonearm are not very different to a metal body colibri I used before.
And no, vdH didn't add anything tho the colibri to make it more heavy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing