Holo May vs Lampizator

WildPhydeaux

Mar 18, 2024
SK, Canada
Mine is an all-digital system. All my CDs and SACDs have been ripped to FLAC and DSD and are stored on a NAS in my utility room. I use Roon Rock on a dedicated machine also in the utility room. The Roon interface is on a notebook by my listening chair. Queued music is streamed from Rock to a Holo Red via wired network.

Both USB and I2S are enabled on the Red with the former feeding the Lampizator and the latter to the May. I have both of those endpoints grouped in Roon, so they both get the same feed. Roon is not set to upsample anything and I do not employ HQPlayer. The May is set to NOS mode.

The DACs are connected to adjacent single ended inputs in my preamp. I can toggle back and forth between them and there is essentially no delay between hearing one and then the other.

If I get what you're saying, upsampling could be employed and possibly tweaked to "tune" the sound to my ear. I'm totally fine playing around with that and indeed have thought of trying HQPlayer as it's supposed to be "the best", or at least much better than Roon for upsampling. However, this is an avenue leading away from the current reality that tube changes in the TRP make all but no difference in its sound.

I can look at upsampling options in the future, but right now I am focused on what, exactly, the Lampizator brings to the table. So far my impression is its a great sounding DAC that will make many different types of vacuum tubes glow, none of which make an appreciable impact its excellent sound.

Cheers,
Robert

Reactions: Stefan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing