What are your "go to" recording(s)

Definitely worth having on CD and still available are the Stereophile test cds 1,2 and 3 (well I knew they were available up to last year, if I can remember the shop here in the UK will post a link for those interested but a search should find some places anyway) - goodness knows how many they purchased because these are legit CDs.
For LP there is but difficult to get hold of the HifiNews one.
Cheers
Orb

the hi-fi news test LP is in print, Chad has it. the original hi-fi news test Cd is OOP and worth seeking just for the infamous banging on the garage door track - guaranteed to break your lease!

Speaking of test CDs, the current IsoTek one is very good. The imaging tests will have the OCD among us going crazy. In addition to left, center, right, it also has half-left and half-right and also outside-left and outside-right.

I used it to good effect in both the Toronto AV show (setting up someone else's speakers) and at CES setting up my own. Have to say that imaging and soundstage was spectacular with both demo systems as a result - even some reviewers said so!
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/01/19/ces-2013-yes-the-genesis-g2jr-will-fit-through-your-door/

the hi-fi news test LP is in print, Chad has it. the original hi-fi news test Cd is OOP and worth seeking just for the infamous banging on the garage door track - guaranteed to break your lease!

Thanks Rob,
the one I am thinking of is the out of print HiFi News LP, something about the quality of the LP I think or something made it rather special (no longer have turntable so long forgotten doh).
I think this is where I purchased my CDs from if in the UK.
http://british-audio-test.mybigcommerce.com/test-cd-sacd-dvds-and-cd-care/
Cheers
Orb

Speaking of test CDs, the current IsoTek one is very good. The imaging tests will have the OCD among us going crazy. In addition to left, center, right, it also has half-left and half-right and also outside-left and outside-right.

I used it to good effect in both the Toronto AV show (setting up someone else's speakers) and at CES setting up my own. Have to say that imaging and soundstage was spectacular with both demo systems as a result - even some reviewers said so!
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/01/19/ces-2013-yes-the-genesis-g2jr-will-fit-through-your-door/

Yeah have that as well :)
Still think overall CD2 and CD3 of the SP are the best in terms of flexibility, but that is just me.
As you do a lot of setting up due to all those shows; what do you like about the IsoTek over the CD2 and CD3, I assume one is speed of setting up?
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:
Yeah have that as well :)
Still think overall CD2 and CD3 of the SP are the best in terms of flexibility, but that is just me.
As you do a lot of setting up due to all those shows; what do you like about the IsoTek over the CD2 and CD3, I assume one is speed of setting up?
Cheers
Orb

On the IsoTek disc, I only use the imaging tracks. There are lots of tools I use for setting up in strange rooms - laser rangefinder, warbles, gated pink and white noise, music, etc. The first couple of hours after I get to a show-room, you don't want to be in the room with me.

On the IsoTek disc, I only use the imaging tracks. There are lots of tools I use for setting up in strange rooms - laser rangefinder, warbles, gated pink and white noise, music, etc. The first couple of hours after I get to a show-room, you don't want to be in the room with me.

Makes sense.
Thanks
Orb

If appreciate some of those Peter McGrath recordings played in the WA demos, the Harmonia Mundi ones can be found here:
http://store.hmusa.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=McGrath
If in the UK can match those to the following UK shop list:
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/ll/Harmonia+Mundi/medium-CD

Heck is the Audiofon Records business still going?
If so most of these but see bracketed comment.
http://audiofon-records.com/main.htm (ignore those with a 'c' next to featured artist apart from CD 72018 and CD 72060, going by what Debby Wilson has said in the past on another forum)

Cheers
Orb

garage door is on a STS digital cd , have them all new if anybody wants to buy any ( STS to many to list - test cd/sacds/vinyl )

STS Digital 6111109 Dynamic Experience, Volume 1

Dynamic Experience, Volume 1.

They say: This is the most dynamic CD STS Digital has ever produced, with the help of the MW Coding Process. Heavy stuff - and one warning, this CD is not very suitable to play on small bookshelf loudspeakers, but a big fun on large loudspeakers.

- this is one fantastic CD. Great tracks from well known artists, re-mastered to sound AMAZING! Also try Volume 2.

Tracklist:

Earth and Fire Orchestra - Frames
Grace Jones - Don't Cry It's Only
Yello The Eye - Don Turbulento
Victor Wooten - Live in America
Gary Boyle - Grumble
The Sheffield Drumrecords - Jim Keltner
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Roughest place
Hans Theessink - Missing you
Aquamarine - My Blue Star
Matthijs Dekker - Soundfield Microphone

Okay we listed some go to disks. What are some of the thinks we should look for?

1. Let's take the Beatles recording of Come Together. it does not appear to be complicated, What i get is they are trying to replicate the sound of a rotary telephone dial. The initial Shoosh followed by drum beat imitating the return,. or the electronic buzz of the electric guitar

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing