Donald Johanos DSO: Rachmaninoff Sym dances – APO turnabout reissue 45 rpm
Alexander Gibson: Bizet Gounod faust ballet – Clarity 200g 45 rpm
Iyuko Kamiya: Beethoven Appassionata – RCA Japan 45 rpm direct-to-disc
Tsuyoshi yamamoto: red gardenia – Philips Japan direct-to-disc
Bill Berry: For Duke – M&K direct-to-disc
Eagles: Hotel California – DCC steve Hoffman
Dick Hyman: From the age of swing – RR 45 rpm
The kings singers: Lollipops – EMI uk emc-3093
Chico freeman: spirit sensitive – India navigation (original press)
Sonny Boy Williamson: keepin’ it to ourselves – APO reissue

CD/Digital:
Jean Guillou: Mussorgsky pictures at an exhibition – Dorian recordings
Oue/MNO: Exotic dances from opera – RR HRX DVD-R
Jen chapin: revisions – chesky 24/192 1:1 copy
Jimmy cob quartet: jazz in the key of blue – chesky 24/192 1:1 copy
Roger waters: amused to death – mastersound SBM gold disc
Bozzio, Levin, stevens: black light syndrome – magna carta

Last edited:
I don't know that I have any 'go to' records these days. Over the years, I have had my 'favs' but I like to listen over a wide range of stuff. Sometimes, those 'killer' recordings are just too overdone to really hear what the system is doing: for example, while I like Janis Ian's 'Breaking Silence,' i think it is too pumped up. I think 'Between the Lines' is actually a more natural sounding record (and the standard issue stuff on Columbia). Same thing with Shelby Lynne's "Just a Little Lovin'- it is a cool recording, but it sounds jacked up. Among recent records that I have used as a reference, I'd include the London Mazel of Sibelius' 2d Symphony, the Johanos, of Rach's Symphonic Dances, the above mentioned Janis Ian record, sometimes, the Classic Records Neil Young Greatest Hits (side with Heart of Gold) and the 45 of This One's for Blanton (although the bass is a little too closely miked here, I'm listening to the piano). The Satchmo St. James Infirmary is another one.
One's I used to use also included the 'hand clapping' sequence on JT and Rickie Lee Jone's first album (side two).
I've given up on Flamenco Direct to Disc records as a reference.

I don't know that I have any 'go to' records these days. Over the years, I have had my 'favs' but I like to listen over a wide range of stuff. Sometimes, those 'killer' recordings are just too overdone to really hear what the system is doing: for example, while I like Janis Ian's 'Breaking Silence,' i think it is too pumped up. I think 'Between the Lines' is actually a more natural sounding record (and the standard issue stuff on Columbia). Same thing with Shelby Lynne's "Just a Little Lovin'- it is a cool recording, but it sounds jacked up. Among recent records that I have used as a reference, I'd include the London Mazel of Sibelius' 2d Symphony, the Johanos, of Rach's Symphonic Dances, the above mentioned Janis Ian record, sometimes, the Classic Records Neil Young Greatest Hits (side with Heart of Gold) and the 45 of This One's for Blanton (although the bass is a little too closely miked here, I'm listening to the piano). The Satchmo St. James Infirmary is another one.
One's I used to use also included the 'hand clapping' sequence on JT and Rickie Lee Jone's first album (side two).
I've given up on Flamenco Direct to Disc records as a reference.

I'm seeing some very interesting choices. This is what I had in mind for this thread. I wonder if we should put together a "Super Disc List" for the WBF?

I'm seeing some very interesting choices. This is what I had in mind for this thread. I wonder if we should put together a "Super Disc List" for the WBF?

Some of HP's list is really good, some - maybe it's just me, but it's more about the sonics than the music. I think if you are confining it to sonic marvels, that's probably safer, otherwise, you are going to get into a lot of subjective issues over whether the music has merit. A couple of examples, which I've probably mentioned in other threads: the Decca Head 6 of The Plague is a brilliant recording, but not something you'd want to listen to frequently given its subject matter. The original Mercury (and the Classic reissue) of the Ansermat Ballet music is also a brilliant recording, but frankly, it's snoozeville for me, musically. Both are highly ranked on HP's list. Tea- which pressing? I haven't heard the latest Chad reissue- my best sounding copies are early Island pink label and pink rim. I haven't heard any CBS 1/2 speeds I've liked sonically (and have quite a few) , but don't have the WYWH, so I can't comment on that one (and I trust Christian's and your ears).

Last edited:
Some of HP's list is really good, some - maybe it's just me, but it's more about the sonics than the music. I think if you are confining it to sonic marvels, that's probably safer, otherwise, you are going to get into a lot of subjective issues over whether the music has merit..

Agree, I was thinking of just the sonic marvels-- some of which have been suggested already. The label and pressing probably should be a factor.BTW, in regards to the Tea LP, I think that your original Pink label is FAR superior to Chad's reissue. ( which IMHO is pretty much a joke!)

I like a few "go to" recordings for their ability to test the system.

They include: MFSL 200 gram Getz Gilberto, MFSl 200 gram Muddy Waters-Folk singer, AP 180 gram Waltz for Debby, M&K For Duke, Opus 3 Depth of Image and Timbre, Dire Straits- Love over Gold on US pressing, Sheffield Lab My name is Makowicz and Still Harry after all these years, Sheffield Labs Track and Sheffield Labs Drum LP's.

On CD: Kirkelig Kulturverksted 30 years fidelity, MFSL Soultrane, Jimmie Lee Robinson Remember Me, Rickie Lee Jones-Pop Pop, Reference recordings- HDCD Sampler, Fi/Analogue Productions Sampler and Burmester CD-03. There are others, but these are the main one's that come to mind.

What are your " go to" recordings to test your system?

------ Right now (I just discovered this thread), just too many to list (on CDs, SACDs, and DVD-Audios, and on Blu-rays too). ...Sorry, no analog LPs, no R2R tapes, no cassette tapes, no 8-track tapes.

And my guess is that half of my selections would be unknown by most members here.

* I would have to put some serious time to make a dignified list of some of my favorites
(100 or so). ...Less than that and it wouldn't be fair to leave some out.
So, I simply cannot name just a few. ...And if ever I'm up to it, I'll be back. :b

Oh heck, that sounds so out-of-me; here's a super-quick one out of my head:
Virginia Rodrigues | * Sol Negro * ...It is right there in front of me, on my coffee table.

-- Here's the front picture cover:

-- virgi_.jpg

Last edited:
1. Mysterious World of Bernard Herrmann - PFS catalogue prefix.
2. Saul Goodman - Mallets Melody and Mayhem - Columbia 6 eye stereo.
3. Pigs Eye Jass - Insight Records
4. Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries- Windham Hill Records
5. Carol Kidd - All My Tomorrows - Aloi Records UK
6. Prof. Johnson Sound Show - RR7 (The Kronos cuts on side 2 is stunning as ever)
7. Mountain Dance - Dave Grusin - Nimbus Supercut UK
8. Don Shirley Trio - Water Boy - Cadence Stereo
9. James Newton Howard & Friends - Sheffield Lab
10. For Duke - M&K Realtime

Phil, I had forgotten about the Carol Kidd LP's on Aloi and Linn...they are superb.

Yes Davey, I've been playing then since the 80s. The imaging is quite eerie too. Plus Kidd's voice is full of emotion when she sings.

IMO your favorite records should sound good on your system.
If you want to evaluate your system, get a test record. lol.

So, are your "go to" records only test records...if so, which ones?
IMO, you don't need test records to evaluate your system, many of the already suggested pieces will do the same.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing