What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Tonight on the Ascona Neo?:

Beethoven Piano Sonatas - Pathétique And Moonlight.

A Direct Cut Recording - Piano Played By - John Lenehan.
Produced By - Mike And Françoise Valentine.

/ Jk
8BF3581C-EFA3-4D76-81E9-2451F6DB87F4.jpeg

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
On the Ascona Neo at the moment?:

Aaron Copland - Fanfare / Third Symphony.
Eiji Oue - Conducts The Minnesota Orchestra.

It was orginally released in 2000.
This reissue however is also half-speed mastered,180g vinyl , at 33/rpm. A reference mastercut from Reference Recordings, from 2015.

Copland’s ”Fanfare For The Common Man” premiered at the first time on 12 March, 1943.

Behold ;) !

/ Jk
BF609955-96E6-4A31-94C4-8BDFCA6EE2E9.jpeg 0EABF292-793B-4CB6-91FC-EBC7987DFA29.jpeg

rando

Sep 22, 2019
In the eighteenth century, the serenata, as a vocal genre, was a dramatic cantata performed – or more rarely staged – in the open air (under a clear sky, hence the term ‘serenata’) and by torchlight. Intended to celebrate festivals, anniversaries and events of a political, dynastic or private nature (weddings, births, birthdays, name days, state visits and so on), it involves a number of allegorical characters, usually drawn from classical mythology or from the world of Arcadia, and a rudimentary plot, devoid of incidents and coups de théâtre, as befitted its festive and celebratory dimension.

Serenata a tre.jpg

rando

Sep 22, 2019

• Love
Reactions: Johan K

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Currently taking a listen to Grieg: Piano Concerto & Incidental Music to "Peer Gynt" as suggested by a member of this forum. Each time it sounds as amazing as if it was the first :)

• Love

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
the impressive partnership of Isabelle Faust and Alexander Melnikov in two very different contexts - -

Dmitry Shostokovich: Violin Sonata in F major, Op. 134
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiODAwNTA3My4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZS...jpg

Carl Maria von Weber: Piano Quartet in B flat, Op. 8
Isabelle Faust, violin
Alexander Melnikov, fortepiano
Boris Faust, viola
Wolfgang Emanuel Schmidt, cello
R-10217066-1493563508-5046.jpg

• Love

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
1680423742226.png

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Works for lute by Weiss played by Konrad Junghänel

R-23830262-1657361431-9981.jpg

Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber: Fidicinium Sacro-Profanum (1683)
Les Plaisirs du Parnasse - David Plantier

R-19628482-1627291655-6326.jpg

RCanelas

Dec 28, 2021
Lisbon, Portugal
cinnamonaudio.com
In gorgeous multichannel!

After Andolink's reference to Biber's Fidicinium I searched Tidal/Qobuz for the available versions. I came across this one from Letzbor, but seems to prefer this one by Consort.

1681746668414.png

The presentations are completely different, with the Letzbor somewhat more distant and richer than the Consort recording. In Baroque I'm always more attracted to the more spartan, leaner, smaller presentations, I see it as a more fitting setting for the liturgic nature of this music. Not that the continuo in the Consort version is anything but an all-filling, harmonically rich power trip. But even the interpretation seems less flowery, more to the point.

Really curious about Plantier's version that Andolink listed. Can you provide some pointers Ando (assuming you have access to these?)
I would also be very curious to hear the Letzbor in a multichannel setup, alas, 2 channel is the rule in this house.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
After Andolink's reference to Biber's Fidicinium I searched Tidal/Qobuz for the available versions. I came across this one from Letzbor, but seems to prefer this one by Consort.
I never look at ratings.
The presentations are completely different, with the Letzbor somewhat more distant and richer than the Consort recording. In Baroque I'm always more attracted to the more spartan, leaner, smaller presentations, I see it as a more fitting setting for the liturgic nature of this music.
I lean the other way but for the same reason. ;)

RCanelas

Dec 28, 2021
Lisbon, Portugal
cinnamonaudio.com
Made a typo there, I wanted to say '..but I seem to prefer...'. What ratings? :)

It is very curious our (all of us) different approaches to baroque. I've had people almost call me names by preferring somewhat 'wet' interpretations of Pergolessi stabat mater, while at the same time people complaining that the recording I chose was so austere it was too much for them, they needed something a bit sweeter. Go figure o_O

• Wow

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Can you provide some pointers Ando (assuming you have access to these?)
I've had the Clemencic Consort version in my collection for over 30 years and prefer Plantier's version for its more detailed/revealing sound.

It's always tough with chamber music to achieve an ideal balance between a close, intimate sound and a sound that picks up the ambience of an appropriate venue (ie. church in this case). I think neither of these recordings is ideal with the Clemencic losing detail in favor of ambience and the Plantier being very detailed and intimate but sacrificing a realistic church ambience.

I haven't heard the Letzbor version but, based on what I've heard of his group in a number of recordings I do own, I'd be surprised if his Fidicinium recording was anything other than excellent.

Last edited:

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Anton Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 in E major
Wiener Symphoniker - Yakov Kreizberg

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiNzkzODA5MC4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZS...jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing