What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Alessandro Piccinini: Libro Secondo di Intavolatura di Liuto
Francesca Torelli

Today I wasn't much active so I dit not experience any issue.
But couple days ago yes, and I reported it too. That was a first for me, a Fatal error was displayed few times (perhaps a dozen times total) while trying to access the site. I took couple snapshots and posted them.

And recently too, about a week ago I was logged out few times (@ least twice) in few days for some unusual glitch. Those I didn't report them, thinking it's no big deal and others didn't report them either.[...]

Looks like your fatal error is related to the XenForo forum software not able to connect to the backend database. Don't know the exact layout of the forum infrastructure, but the most likely causes are either the MySQL database crashing or network problem between the web/app and the database server. And the SQL statements in your report specifically mentions user_id 945, which is you. Probably some kind of profile lookup of an already logged in user.

I have come across 2 types of glitches in the past little while, not related to your fatal error:
  • Frequent bursts of timeout while interacting with the forum—initial landing page, following link to a different page, editing a new posting etc. Doesn't matter if I'm logged in or not. Once started, the timeout persists for a little while, only going away in say 5-10min.
  • Twice I've been told my IP address has been blacklisted right in the middle of the login process. I should go away or contact the site admin to justify my existence. Try logging in again immediately did go through fine however.
Now I don't usually obfuscate my internet IP address using anonymity network so it clearly resolves to a North American location. And the IP's been quite stable over time. I've been using instance firewall rules to limit all my public virtual machines in Amazon Web Services to talk to my IP only. I've been using the same set of rules for a long time and they're always willing to talk to me.

Doing a reverse look up of whatsbestforum.com's DNS IP results in an entity called cloudproxy10110.sucuri.net. So WBF is sitting behind some kind of Web Application Firewall by Sucuri. This WAF certainly does DDoS screening, but looks like it's doing more on login requests. What it takes into account to decide who to block is hard to say, but the overall effect seems to be rather heavy handed...

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
We are just reporting the facts, only the facts ... very nice piano playing ...

* In regards to "Fatal error"; I must have read dozen of articles on its causes and fixes.
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix-fatal-error-4689477

As for the issue you recently encountered John, I just don't know.
It might have happened to me too in the past but not recently; my recent issues were different.

Thx to accwai & rando for the technical feedback, and Manesp for the positive classical outlook.
Because music matters

Last edited:

andolink

Jul 28, 2016

andolink

Jul 28, 2016

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
No. 21-23. The more I listen to it the more I like it..

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
John (Bachtoven); this might be useful to you and anyone else ...
You previously mentioned ...
I constantly get an "Oops, we ran into a problem" error message. Does that happen to anyone else?

Depending of the sources of the picture covers you want to post, some won't work.
I occasionally have the same message, or similar and it's normal.
Solution: Try another source for the picture cover, most I find (99%) work.
It's a very small minority that doesn't.

For example I just got a similar message few minutes ago as the one you had before.
I simply got another source and voilà, issue resolved.

Like this link for example; it just won't work ...
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91y4Ei7RLnL._SX522_.jpg

If I try to post the image directly I get this message ...
[Something went wrong. Please try again or contact the administrator.]

Last edited:

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Good tip--thanks, Bob!

Let me put it to the test:

That one worked. Well, at least I know a work around. By the way, that's a wonderful recording...and I did listen to it today!

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I just copied it and pasted it without the "Drop Image" feature.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Windows 10 PC.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Nope! That doesn't even work for me!

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Bachtoven, the usual suggestion is to clear your browser cache/downloads/cookies and make sure you are running the latest version of your browser. That and resetting your router clear up a lot of issues, normally.

Drag and drop has never worked for me (W10). Url or folder location work 99% of the time as stated above. Android has some small behavioral quirks as well. Browsing around makes it quite clear batch uploads of large file size photos are well optimized here. Maybe something could be done to optimize 100kb - 500kb hosted files.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
He said that he just copied it and pasted it, directly; that's even more simple than the way I do it, by using the small picture icon.
The main thing is that it worked, one way or another. We are only mentioning this right now because John has recently encountered the "Oops, we ran into a problem" (error message). ...A temporary small glitch. ...Seems ok now John?

* Good tip also on having the browser up to date, in particular when things are getting slower or glitchier.

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Will be working my way through the 4 discs of Handel’s sublime Chandos Anthems over the coming week - -

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
[...] I occasionally have the same message, or similar and it's normal.
Solution: Try another source for the picture cover, most I find (99%) work.
It's a very small minority that doesn't.

For example I just got a similar message few minutes ago as the one you had before.
I simply got another source and voilà, issue resolved.

Like this link for example; it just won't work ...
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91y4Ei7RLnL._SX522_.jpg

If I try to post the image directly I get this message ...
[Something went wrong. Please try again or contact the administrator.]
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81Gf49qfQuL._SX522_.jpg

That's the link of your above picture cover; it sure works when inserting it directly as an image using the "Drop image" feature.

There is likely a difference in the cross-origin resource sharing (CORS) policies betwen the two sources. The second one is open access, but the first one might have a block on cross domain references. The hostname for the second one is owned by Amazon Legal Department, but the first one is more telling—the name ecx.images-amazon.com is an alias of d1ge0kk1l5kms0.cloudfront.net. CloudFront is a Content Delivery Network component of the Amazon Web Services. So the image file in question is likely an object in the Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3). Read access is chargeable in S3 and fine grained CORS configuration is offered specifically to cut down on unwanted access charges. Neat trick eh :)

As for how to drop image links into WBF, cut and paste the link is always tricky as it depends on the post editor correctly interpreting the text as a link URL. Using the Insert Image button at the top is more explicit and therefore more reliable. And worst comes to worst, the forum seems to support BBCode so you can put the link in directly. For example, this

is from this
Code:
[img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91y4Ei7RLnL._SX385_.jpg[/img]
In fact, it's even possible to wrap an outgoing link around the image so clicking on the image would send people to the corresponding Amazon product page, for example:
Code:
[url=https://www.amazon.com/Lemony-Snickets-Unfortunate-Events-Blu-ray/dp/B06XX5K8Y1][img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91y4Ei7RLnL._SX385_.jpg[/img][/url]
The image above is wrapped this way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing