What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

I listened to the Sinfonia today. It doesn't seem to be recorded or played very often, which is too bad since it is such a powerful piece--very dark, angsty, and densely scored. BIS' SACD audio lets one hear all the details, and will give your woofers something to think about! Very well played.

81tgjOq-APL._SL500_.jpg

was just listening to that last weekend! Agree...will have to check out this version. do you have more than one version of this piece? Any favorite?

was just listening to that last weekend! Agree...will have to check out this version. do you have more than one version of this piece? Any favorite?

That's my only recording of it. Since I read only positive reviews, I went for it!

It's not just that this perfromance by Riebl and the Florestan's is terrific, which it is, but the Hyperion recording team have gotten the sound just right putting the ensemble about 8-10 feet in front of you in your listening space with just the right bloom and air to make it so that at the final chord of the last movement I had to restrain myself from beginning the applause.

Robert Schumann: Piano Quartet in E flat, Op. 47

51sWUsHWPXL.jpg

I started with Suite No.1 from this new set. It's Murray Perahia playing Bach--nothing else need be said! The sound is superb--very rich and reverberant (but not too much.) I have to say that DG's piano sound has certainly improved over the years. It's a shame that Emil Gilels, for instance, never had such good sound.

71508eOGl%2BL._SL500_.jpg

I started with Suite No.1 from this new set. It's Murray Perahia playing Bach--nothing else need be said! The sound is superb--very rich and reverberant (but not too much.) I have to say that DG's piano sound has certainly improved over the years. It's a shame that Emil Gilels, for instance, never had such good sound.

Great feedback...my current favorite below:

Bach - Bernard Roberts - French Suites.jpg

Arcangelo Corelli: Sonatas for Violin and continuo, Op. 5

attachment.php

Much too reverberant for me. I want to be closer to the piano and hear details.

I normally prefer a closer perspective, too, but for me, this one works.

I listened to it again last night and I think I now agree with you.

After reading so many positive comments about this set on this as well as other forums, I thought I'd give it a try. Wow--she has it all: the technique, temperament, and musical understanding to due justice to Scriabin--at least in Sonatas 1-4 that I listened to today. Wonderful sound, too. A close perspective but not dry.

818P5SnLKQL._SL500_.jpg

I'm amazed at your rate of consumption, Bachtoven. Are all of these focused listens or are some of them playing in the background?

I'm amazed at your rate of consumption, Bachtoven. Are all of these focused listens or are some of them playing in the background?

Most are focused listenings. The Bach/Beethoven/Bach marathon was during a car trip!

Totally agree! Have had this set for years! Enjoy!

The imaging is a little off on this first disc--the musicians seem huddled in the center and right--not a lot of direct sound in the left channel. Since so many venues were used, it will be interesting to see how the sound changes.

Last edited:
Wonderful playing and sound. I really like this guy's Bach: he makes full use of a modern grand piano's resources, but he doesn't pound the music into the ground either!

51B5mGgFh5L.jpg

51IQ7Rcz3yL.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing