What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

L. van Beethoven: String Quartet in F Major, Op. 135

61PFMVoytsL.jpg

This new acquisition is knocking my socks off! In addition to absolutely marvelous performances, the choice of venue and the way the sound engineer has captured every tiny detail in stunningly realistic perspective is unlike anything I've ever heard.

J. S. Bach: 'O Ewigkeit, du Donnerwort ', BWV 20

250.13_cd13_frontcover.jpg

Thanks, it sounds like it's worth checking out. Was this a CD or download? It doesn't seem to be available on Amazon...

I'm trying to learn K.397, so it's nice to have a masterful performance to inspire me.

51VDGBfNwQL._SS500.jpg

Thanks, it sounds like it's worth checking out. Was this a CD or download? It doesn't seem to be available on Amazon...

It was a FLAC download from eclassical.com.

I listened to the Symphony today. I'm not a fan of vocal works, but the baritone singing a Keats sonnet in the last movement is effective. Overall, the piece has a strong Schoenberg feel to it--somewhere between his Pelleas und Melisande and Variations for Orchestra.

81cgDxaeA4L._SL500_.jpg

Very well played and recorded.

71my63thzcL._SL500_.jpg

Yes, René Möller (assistant engineer is Martin Nissen).

No.31, 35, and 38.

71CZpZ4aGUL._SL500_.jpg

W. A. Mozart: Don Giovanni

41ft4G1LLDL._SL500_.jpg

Stefan Wolpe: Quintet with Voice (1957) for bass-baritone, clarinet, horn, harp, piano and cello

1132905.jpg

Anthonello de Caserta, et. al.

415I1La-sVL.jpg

Superb performance. Very close, detailed recording perspective.

91Q7hXiAl7L._SL500_.jpg

Brilliantly played and recorded. In fact, the mics pick up his vocalizations! HIPsters may not like like his dramatic and personal interpretations, but I do. Interestingly, he arranges them by key, not chronologically. Today I listened to disc 1, the "A" works. (He has also color coded the discs according to key, and has given the Sonatas fanciful names!)

81d1h377crL._SL500_.jpg

81582yeKWwL._SL500_.jpg

I listened to the Sinfonia today. It doesn't seem to be recorded or played very often, which is too bad since it is such a powerful piece--very dark, angsty, and densely scored. BIS' SACD audio lets one hear all the details, and will give your woofers something to think about! Very well played.

81tgjOq-APL._SL500_.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing