What are the Top Horn Speakers in the World Today? Vox Olympian vs Avantgarde Trio vs ???

caesar

May 30, 2010
I listen Avantgard trio many times,In Italian show,in Munich,in Italian shop,in one private system,
for me is one of the worst speaker,always found a terrible sound,confused,innatural,hard,and not well balanced

Hahahahahaha. Gian, I think you failed the audition to write for the dcs-wilson-phile and the analytical sound.

Do you remember what amps were used? Did any amps make them sound even more terrible, confused, hard, unnatural and unbalanced?

Reactions: Scatterbrain99

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I listen 3/4 times in Munich with their amp,4 times in Italy show,3 times with their amp and one time with Accuphase A 200 mono
1 times in one Milan shop with AN UK and 3 times from my friend that had with Audio tekne preamp 9501 and mono amp 9502
Everytimes never liked and more or less same impression,even if with Audio Tekne better.
My friend then sold and bought AT 8716 CB with supertweeter ALE 1750 DEP

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I listen 3/4 times in Munich with their amp,4 times in Italy show,3 times with their amp and one time with Accuphase A 200 mono
1 times in one Milan shop with AN UK and 3 times from my friend that had with Audio tekne preamp 9501 and mono amp 9502
Everytimes never liked and more or less same impression,even if with Audio Tekne better.
My friend then sold and bought AT 8716 CB with supertweeter ALE 1750 DEP
I too have not really heard the Trio sound like a top loudspeaker, even though I have now heard it many many times. I actually like the Duo Omega better (with Audiopax or Thomas Mayer amps they sounded very good). Even though the Trio does impressive dynamics I didn't find tonal balance natural and image size and soundstage are unnatural as well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
hi which FLH are you referring to?
It was a custom job in a club...literally the size of a big SUV. But it was remarkably controlled in a huge empty room while they were testing it and people we talking during setup.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very interesting to learn of the specifics in implementation and your incentive using the Velodyne in the first place, thanks. The "sense of foundation" and "instruments nailed to the floor" descriptions in particular reflect my own impressions and goal using subs.

Again, very important info and findings here. How often haven't I heard or read of the ridicule in audiophile circles aimed towards those using such large scale sub setups; saying it's way overkill, only there to lift off the roof over one's head, showoff, blur one's vision, for über bass heads, crazy cinephiles, etc. Not saying such "verbose frivolities" (sorry) couldn't be the outcome with massive sub systems, it's a possibility for sure, but it's really missing the point of their potential (well integrated with capable mains) to create an immersive, hugely scaled, inherently powerful and totally effortless presentation.

"Overkill" to some is just an approximation of sufficient headroom to others, and just because the subs capacity is there in abundance doesn't imply one needs to run it +10dB hot. And yet, I believe it's quite apparent how many gain themselves (as in: negative gain) out of bass issues, be that response irregularities throughout the listening room with boomy peaks or subs sounding strained and thereby more distorted (even if you wouldn't expect it); lowering the subs gain can be a symptom of issues more than striving for frequency response balance, and thus proper bass presence may actually be lacking. The cleaner and more well-integrated the bass, the more gain can be applied without the lower octaves becoming too noticeable to get that more natural fullness and foundation in music.

I would definitely encourage you to proceed with a large scale subs setup, whatever bass principle route you end up choosing.

Given your info here I'd focus on a dual sub setup placed in their respective corners symmetrically to the mains. FLH's are big, yes, but it's also about how they're shaped apart from their overall volume. Another question is availability. Horn subs (FLH's) aren't readily available, but the TH varieties (patented by Danley Sound Labs) on the other hand are offered from pro vendors in a range of options. For proper extension and physical shape the DTS-20 could be interesting. They take up little floor space, but are tall (~87"). A pair of those, on in each corner, would be a powerful and extremely well-sounding solution. The DTS-10's are even bigger and take up more space, but mostly along the sidewalls - if such could be accommodated. The Funk Audio 18.2's in pairs also sounds like a potent solution.
Hi Jagerst.

I am coming back to you on this. With only one viable location for sub in the room, we are contemplating going from a Velodyne DD18+ to something much more potent but still in a manageable size. Dual-opposing 24" horns, so large surface area but very little cone movement (ie, low distortion) to generate significant air displacement...optimized for performance BELOW 40hz and probably coming in under the main speakers around 33-38hz depending on in-room measurements. Heroically built and expected to perform in outdoor 2m testing, would appreciate any thoughts. Bigger than the Velodyne but not THAT much bigger given the fact that air displacement is literally increasing by 7-8x.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
those animals kick some serious ass!
but even Devor 30 or 40 does a phenomenal job in a more acceptable size
my sub towers are essentially Devor 23s before they rearranged the "packing" of the horn
I don´t understand why more HI END guys haven´t bought theese instead some of the Mickey Mouse solutions people settle for
If they´d hear theese they´d piss in their pants

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Hi Jagerst.

I am coming back to you on this. With only one viable location for sub in the room, we are contemplating going from a Velodyne DD18+ to something much more potent but still in a manageable size. Dual-opposing 24" horns, so large surface area but very little cone movement (ie, low distortion) to generate significant air displacement...optimized for performance BELOW 40hz and probably coming in under the main speakers around 33-38hz depending on in-room measurements. Heroically built and expected to perform in outdoor 2m testing, would appreciate any thoughts. Bigger than the Velodyne but not THAT much bigger given the fact that air displacement is literally increas
It was a custom job in a club...literally the size of a big SUV. But it was remarkably controlled in a huge empty room while they were testing it and people we talking during setup.
I imagine there are many ways to go deep successfully. One tried and true purveyor for us has been Ascendo. Their simply employed DSP has been very useful and their construction is excellent while their specs appear to be real. https://www.aia-cinema.com/products/subwoofers.html I don't know if this would work in your installation, but you may see if you can get an audition.
I imagine there are many ways to go deep successfully. One tried and true purveyor for us has been Ascendo. Their simply employed DSP has been very useful and their construction is excellent while their specs appear to be real. https://www.aia-cinema.com/products/subwoofers.html I don't know if this would work in your installation, but you may see if you can get an audition.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
SMSG24 looks very interesting for Lloyd’s purpose.

Reactions: Fred Crane

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
those animals kick some serious ass!
but even Devor 30 or 40 does a phenomenal job in a more acceptable size
my sub towers are essentially Devor 23s before they rearranged the "packing" of the horn
I don´t understand why more HI END guys haven´t bought theese instead some of the Mickey Mouse solutions people settle for
If they´d hear theese they´d piss in their pants
Yeah the Devor 23 is already fairly compact and pretty badass.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Devor represents an interesting pro-audio crossover product with applications for high-end audio using what appears to be novel HL technology. They look nice too!

Reactions: Fred Crane
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
and the dispersion pattern is a marvel......I attended a demo in Rainbow Studio in Oslo and they played on one Devor16 and it was amazing.....I then walked around it and behind it it was almost not detectable in comparison....a bonus when I installed mine...they act almost as a dipole and dont intereact with my room and trigger no room nodes

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
The Devor 16 is sold passive so you need both external crossover and amp.

The Devor 40/30/23 can be ordered passive ( see above ) or active. Active solution uses dsp based crossover.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Despite the heresy some Devor are used in high quality hifi systems with Powersoft amps ( yes with dsp ) ;)

Yakamozan

Jul 23, 2019
Owned the Avantgarde Trio LE26 with 4x Bass Horn and changed to Aries Cerat Symphonia LE just recently.
In 30+ years in this hobby, i haven´t heard anything that performs in the High/Mid/Mid bass like the Symphonia´s do. The level of realism coming out of these beauties is simply mind bending.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
As I have stated previously, while I have not heard the Symphonia's and am sure they are special, the Destination Audio Vista's treated me to a truly unforgettable musical experience. A must hear in top end horn systems.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing