Visit to Audiophile Bill to hear his horns project

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Surge, you don't wanna be showing this stuff to Bill. He has a bad tendency to eat, sleep and dream all of this.
Bill, totally open to your feedback. One thing I’m wondering about is if the vibrations from the upper bass are making their way to the midrange. You can feel them through the metal frame.
However, the RCA drivers are very solid, heavy, and robust. I have opened and serviced them.
And Jeff Jackson used a metal frame for his $300K(?) flagship horns:

Attachments

• IMG_3123.jpg
    IMG_3123.jpg
    742.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Jeff Jackson stand horns III.JPG
    Jeff Jackson stand horns III.JPG
    653.7 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: the sound of Tao

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
$300k for the horns in the lowest photo? Not his more complete version w the big butterfly literal barn door-sized baffles?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
$300k for the horns in the lowest photo? Not his more complete version w the big butterfly literal barn door-sized baffles?

Don’t quote me on the price, but it was something like that…well into the 6-figures. Probably worth it, since Jeff is a rare master. Only other horns that come close are the $1M Vox Olympian.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Don’t quote me on the price, but it was something like that…well into the 6-figures. Probably worth it, since Jeff is a rare master. Only other horns that come close are the $1M Vox Olympian.

Vox is 400k. Have you heard either Jeff's or the vox?

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
If you get the full Vox setup, with the bass units, it’s close to $1M, retail.

I have not heard the Vox but have heard Jeff’s horns with the big wooden baffle.
I'll take yours instead, thanks.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you get the full Vox setup, with the bass units, it’s close to $1M, retail.

I have not heard the Vox but have heard Jeff’s horns with the big wooden baffle.

Did you hear Jeff's with the type 50 amps?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Did you hear Jeff's with the type 50 amps?
You mean his amps?
It was the wall amp that’s pictured above. The problem was it was in a store in Soho NYC, not ideal for listening. I’m sure anything Jeff creates sounds great, in the right environment.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Surge, do those huge wooden baffles on Jeffrey's Wheel Fi horns house open baffle subs? Or are they just a variation on acoustic wave guides?
Is Jeffrey's ?$300k? package for these horns w baffles, or the baffle-less horns in the metal frame stands?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Surge, do those huge wooden baffles on Jeffrey's Wheel Fi horns house open baffle subs? Or are they just a variation on acoustic wave guides?
Is Jeffrey's ?$300k? package for these horns w baffles, or the baffle-less horns in the metal frame stands?
I have no idea, sorry. As I recall, there are no subs behind them. The lower horn provided all of the bass. But don’t quote me on it.

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks! The good news is that you can get these built, like I did, for a lot less!

If you are prepared to take the time and effort, and tap into the right expertise, you can build your own for about 1/10th of what you might pay for commercial.

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
If you are prepared to take the time and effort, and tap into the right expertise, you can build your own for about 1/10th of what you might pay for commercial.
Indeed, this is clearly the way to go.

Especially with the ability to use something like a minidsp to dial in crossover slopes and points before committing to a hardware solution... or just copying existing designs that people so kindly share in order to improve music for everyone else. Thanks everyone for sharing their expertise.

Reactions: christoph

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The cross-over is 1st order, with David Slage(sp?) auto-formers to adjust the high and mid-levels, to better tune the speakers to the room.

View attachment 80921

Also note that the angle of the RCA midrange can be adjusted, as can the position of the tweeters, to achieve time-alignment at the listening position. Very important!

One of those inductors need to be rotated 90* so the fields are interaction as much as possible.

Reactions: Zeotrope

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
One of those inductors need to be rotated 90* so the fields are interaction as much as possible.
As little as possible??

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
As little as possible??

Crossover 101, you don't want the fields interacting of inductors. In order to avoid this you don't have their fields congruent with each other. I'd rotate the small so it's standing up so the field will be perpendicular, and not counter or additive to the same motion.

Attachments

• external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 15

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Crossover 101, you don't want the fields interacting of inductors. In order to avoid this you don't have their fields congruent with each other. I'd rotate the small so it's standing up so the field will be perpendicular, and not counter or additive to the same motion.
A useful picture, thanks.

(And I'll note that my above comment was just to fix your typo from "as much as possible").

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Thank you! Not sure how this escaped Josh’s eye! Appreciate it!

Walnut Horns

May 11, 2015
Bill, totally open to your feedback. One thing I’m wondering about is if the vibrations from the upper bass are making their way to the midrange. You can feel them through the metal frame.
However, the RCA drivers are very solid, heavy, and robust. I have opened and serviced them.
And Jeff Jackson used a metal frame for his $300K(?) flagship horns:
These are my horns and they are definitely not $300K, but they do use a field coil midrange driver. Since I do not have room for the butterfly wing baffles in my installation, Jeffrey built me folded baffle subs each with an 18" driver that blend seamlessly with the horns. Otherwise, they're identical to Jeffrey's large horns. Jeffrey's butterfly wings are open baffle and I believe each wing has two 18' drivers for a total of eight. I have heard his system multiple times in two locations (once as recently as two weeks ago) and it's by far the best system I have ever heard on any type of music. The amp on the wall uses GM70s in a SET configuration and weighs 200 lbs. It's magnificent.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
These are my horns and they are definitely not $300K, but they do use a field coil midrange driver. Since I do not have room for the butterfly wing baffles in my installation, Jeffrey built me folded baffle subs each with an 18" driver that blend seamlessly with the horns. Otherwise, they're identical to Jeffrey's large horns. Jeffrey's butterfly wings are open baffle and I believe each wing has two 18' drivers for a total of eight. I have heard his system multiple times in two locations (once as recently as two weeks ago) and it's by far the best system I have ever heard on any type of music. The amp on the wall uses GM70s in a SET configuration and weighs 200 lbs. It's magnificent.
Which ones are yours?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing