Visit to Audiophile Bill to hear his horns project

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Yeah I saw those before too. If they were in U.K., I would likely have been interested lol. They belong to John Kalinowski.

It was morbid curiosity since they were suitable for up to 8” full range drivers. They are so big, it would have needed to be an outdoor or converted stable type thing.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So Bill, even your wide imagination can't quite go that w-i-d-e?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
So Bill, even your wide imagination can't quite go that w-i-d-e?

My imagination can go wider but can’t house the contraptions I dream about. Maybe if we move :p

• Haha
Reactions: rando and christoph

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That's pretty relevant Lol.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Not much you can do with those horns.

david

Except use the exact same drivers Bill is currently using, lol... except they are large enough woofers wouldn't be needed. I'd bet they would be better vs the BLH Pnoe.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
My custom designed 3 way field coil horns. Over 100 dB sensitive, can reach over 105 dB at listening position with the 7W Kondo Souga. Active transmission line sub is not pictured.
Bill Woods conical horn in maple.
Suravox 11” field coil upper base in LaScala style walnut horns.
Fostex t500a MkII super-tweeter.
First-order crossover with Slage autoformers to fine tune high and mid-range.
Field coil is the way to go, especially with horns (if you can find the drivers). The midrange is the RCA 1443, which goes from about 300 hz to over 7000 hz! Nothing sounds like it, especially with vocals.
Also pictured are the vacuum tube power supplies (not shown in the first photo, which uses solid state PSUs).

Attachments

• Restomod horns.jpg
    Restomod horns.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 87
  • TubePSU_v1.jpg
    TubePSU_v1.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 82

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
My custom designed 3 way field coil horns. Over 100 dB sensitive, can reach over 105 dB at listening position with the 7W Kondo Souga. Active transmission line sub is not pictured.
Field coil is the way to go, especially with horns (if you can find the drivers). The midrange is the RCA 1443, which goes from about 300 hz to over 7000 hz! Nothing sounds like it, especially with vocals.
Also pictured are the vacuum tube power supplies (not shown in the first photo, which uses solid state PSUs).
These are just so beautiful.

Reactions: Zeotrope

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
These are just so beautiful.
Thank you!

I posted here in case the Bill in this thread is Bill Woods. I don’t think so, because Jonathan Weiss of Oswalds Mill has literally forbidden him from sharing his insights - the insights that Jon himself has taken credit for… but that’s another story!

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Bill Woods conical horn in maple.
Suravox 11” field coil upper base in LaScala style walnut horns.
Fostex t500a MkII super-tweeter.
First-order crossover with Slage autoformers to fine tune high and mid-range.

These look stunning!

Please post more photos and details.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thank you!

I posted here in case the Bill in this thread is Bill Woods. I don’t think so, because Jonathan Weiss of Oswalds Mill has literally forbidden him from sharing his insights - the insights that Jon himself has taken credit for… but that’s another story!

Hi Surge1,

Loving your speakers - very awesome build and design. Love to see more pictures and details if you get a mo.

I am another “Bill” indeed - not Bill Woods :)

Best regards.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Thanks guys.
This journey started when I read about and heard how well designed horn speakers can do everything well. I used the Living Voice and Oswalds Mill horns as inspiration.
Oswalds Mill (OMA) used to host DIY events, where talented speaker and amp designers would gather and share ideas. One of the meets discussed the RCA 1428/1443 midrange field coil driver from the 1930s. The unanimous consensus was that it’s the best midrange in the world, with a very wide useable range of approx 300-7500 hz.

What really intrigued me was that they were (relatively) affordable: I paid about $5K for mine on eBay and a few thousand for the Bill Woods conical horns. So for under $10K, I had what many experts consider the best midrange in the world.
These were better than the OMA AC1 and Imperia horns, in the critical midrange. Those speakers cost about $80K and $400K, respectively.
RCA 1428.jpeg

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Thanks guys.
This journey started when I read about and heard how well designed horn speakers can do everything well. I used the Living Voice and Oswalds Mill horns as inspiration.
Oswalds Mill (OMA) used to host DIY events, where talented speaker and amp designers would gather and share ideas. One of the meets discussed the RCA 1428/1443 midrange field coil driver from the 1930s. The unanimous consensus was that it’s the best midrange in the world, with a very wide useable range of approx 300-7500 hz.

What really intrigued me was that they were (relatively) affordable: I paid about $5K for mine on eBay and a few thousand for the Bill Woods conical horns. So for under $10K, I had what many experts consider the best midrange in the world.
These were better than the OMA AC1 and Imperia horns, in the critical midrange. Those speakers cost about $80K and $400K, respectively.
View attachment 80899

That's great, I've heard these drivers in an OMA speaker at RMAF many years ago. They were at another level vs almost everything else there. So were the speakers, which had a 15" woofer and ribbon tweeter in a Cherry wood cabinet.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
To complement the RCA 1443s, I went with the Fostex t500a MkII horn super-tweeters, for no other reason other than this is what Jeff Jackson used in his Experience Music flagship horns. Those horns had a similar, but modern replica midrange as the RCA, so I knew the tweeter would pair well.

Note the wall mounted field coil power supply and amp, very cool!

EA9E340B-3885-410A-9CBE-81F0473AA1D1.jpeg

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
My media room is small (~13ft. X 14ft), so I definitely didn’t have room for upper bass horns that are not folded. Hence, I chose a LaScala style enclosure, since it was tried and tried true and looks good. We used a modern Supravox 12” field coil driver.

Josh Stippich at ElectronLuv was the master builder. He really does amazing work. It’s a shame he doesn’t do this full time.

IMG_3502.JPG my horns 2.JPG my horns 1.JPG IMG_3498.jpg

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
The cross-over is 1st order, with David Slage(sp?) auto-formers to adjust the high and mid-levels, to better tune the speakers to the room.

IMG_3501.JPG

Also note that the angle of the RCA midrange can be adjusted, as can the position of the tweeters, to achieve time-alignment at the listening position. Very important!

Last edited:

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
To complement the RCA 1443s, I went with the Fostex t500a MkII horn super-tweeters, for no other reason other than this is what Jeff Jackson used in his Experience Music flagship horns. Those horns had a similar, but modern replica midrange as the RCA, so I knew the tweeter would pair well.

Note the wall mounted field coil power supply and amp, very cool!

View attachment 80915
Gorgeous horns

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Surge, you don't wanna be showing this stuff to Bill. He has a bad tendency to eat, sleep and dream all of this.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing