Visit to Audiophile Bill to hear his horns project

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Great job!
You are using Supravox field coil woofers as well, correct?
I can’t believe the sound now that I have a proper crossover!
Hi Surge,
No Supravox field coils yet. I have the fixed magnet Supravox woofers but they are for a separate project using a dedicated mid bass horn channel. I am using some vintage Tesla woofers in this and modern Eminence too. There is a new 15” Supravox with ideal t/s parameters so might get some of those in new year too.

Best.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Great job!
You are using Supravox field coil woofers as well, correct?
I can’t believe the sound now that I have a proper crossover!

Please tell me about your crossover developments - sounds interesting indeed.

Best wishes.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Reactions: cal3713

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Please tell me about your crossover developments - sounds interesting indeed.

Best wishes.

Yes! I finally found an expert to come to my media room and voice the speakers to design a proper passive crossover. What a difference it made! But the original crossover was never properly designed (as some here have pointed out), so I suppose it’s not a surprise that this new one is so good. It’s a 1st order for the midrange (RCA 1443 on a conical maple horn) and upper bass (Supravox EXC-2000 in a LaScala style folded horn) and 2nd order for the Tweeter (Fostex t500aMkII). The transmission line sub has its own active crossover.
We achieved response within 4 dB across the range from ~20 - 20k. And more importantly, it sounds great. I’m now getting Humble Homemade HiFi to rebuild the crossovers with the best components. The crossover engineer is a genius, but “doesn’t believe in” high-grade components.

One interesting thing is that stuffing the upper-bass cabinets with Dacron has smoothed out the response. I’m not sure not new to many of you, but I had never thought of it.

Attachments

• A449495B-554F-4E8A-95AB-36227D8DA2AB.jpeg
    A449495B-554F-4E8A-95AB-36227D8DA2AB.jpeg
    662.3 KB · Views: 16

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Yes! I finally found an expert to come to my media room and voice the speakers to design a proper passive crossover. What a difference it made! But the original crossover was never properly designed (as some here have pointed out), so I suppose it’s not a surprise that this new one is so good. It’s a 1st order for the midrange (RCA 1443 on a conical maple horn) and upper bass (Supravox EXC-2000 in a LaScala style folded horn) and 2nd order for the Tweeter (Fostex t500aMkII). The transmission line sub has its own active crossover.
We achieved response within 4 dB across the range from ~20 - 20k. And more importantly, it sounds great. I’m now getting Humble Homemade HiFi to rebuild the crossovers with the best components. The crossover engineer is a genius, but “doesn’t believe in” high-grade components.

One interesting thing is that stuffing the upper-bass cabinets with Dacron has smoothed out the response. I’m not sure not new to many of you, but I had never thought of it.

Sounds a great result. Love your choice of drivers and approach tbh. Even though I haven’t heard it, I can well envisage what you have. Enjoy Surge!

Reactions: Zeotrope

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Thanks! Next step is to replace the voltage regulated power supplies with proper current regulated supplies. I went with Wolf Von Langa. It’s actually quite a challenge to find proper high voltage supplies - most field coils are low voltage ~<25V. The RCA1443 are 110-115V.

BTW, here’s a good video on the RCAs (even though I really can’t stand Jonathan Weiss at OMA - I would not encourage my worst enemy to deal with him), the video is good:

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks! Next step is to replace the voltage regulated power supplies with proper current regulated supplies. I went with Wolf Von Langa. It’s actually quite a challenge to find proper high voltage supplies - most field coils are low voltage ~<25V. The RCA1443 are 110-115V.

BTW, here’s a good video on the RCAs (even thought I really can’t stand Jonathan Weiss at OMA - I would not encourage my worst enemy to deal with him), the video is good:

Thanks for the vid link - yeah my field coil motors are the lower voltage (higher current) ones which does make it a little easier.
What happened in your dealings with Weiss?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Thanks for the vid link - yeah my field coil motors are the lower voltage (higher current) ones which does make it a little easier.
What happened in your dealings with Weiss?

The problem with Weiss at OMA is that he's built his business by stealing the ideas of the DIY community. That would be fine, if he gave them credit; but he's not. Recall that he used to host "Tastings", which were events where he invited all the experts from around the world, pumped them with fine wines and food, and got them to share their ideas for how to build the best horns, amps, crossovers, etc.

He then took those ideas, hired a designer, and built a business around it. There's nothing illegal about this if the information was not confidential, but it's in very bad form.

My issue was that he's selling vastly underpowered amp/speaker combinations: I was ready to buy the OMA Mini and his "entry level" amp, the Parallax PD1. The PD1 is woefully underpowered for the Minis - even in my tiny 12'x13' room, it would not be able to drive them to reference 85db+20dB levels. Weiss is marketing the Minis as "highly efficient" - that's just not true.

When I asked him about this, he became incredibly rude, condescending, and dismissive! Really incredible 180 turn, as we had been super cordial and friendly until that point, and I was about to spend about $65k with OMA.

Still, I have to thank Weiss, as he sparked my journey to design and commission my own horns, based on the driver he calls "the best midrange in the world" the RCA1443. And the best part is I have spent a fraction of what he is charging.

On my journey, I have shared this story with quite a few dealers, speaker designers, and enthusiasts. The interesting thing is that everyone I spoke to had similar negative comments to make about Weiss. He's just not a good/nice person. There are many other companies that you should spend your money with.

There you have it ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

BTW, here’s a good video on the RCAs (even thought I really can’t stand Jonathan Weiss at OMA - I would not encourage my worst enemy to deal with him), the video is good:
I like what he says about those FLH bass horns. Unfortunately I did not get to hear these as they were not there during my visit

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Would make a cracking fruit bowl Bill ;) Seriously tho … Fabulous Horns, enlève ma casquette

I do that too lol. Here is a spalted burr beech platter last weekend.

C4485997-700A-454E-8D94-EC923FC944A3.jpeg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bill, I can just visualise a pair of your horns adorning an apartment in the Hoover Building :cool:

I do love my Art Deco - it is a big inspiration tbh. I didn’t go as far as to do sun burst style baffles but was tempted at one point lol.

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
The problem with Weiss at OMA is that he's built his business by stealing the ideas of the DIY community. That would be fine, if he gave them credit; but he's not. Recall that he used to host "Tastings", which were events where he invited all the experts from around the world, pumped them with fine wines and food, and got them to share their ideas for how to build the best horns, amps, crossovers, etc.

He then took those ideas, hired a designer, and built a business around it. There's nothing illegal about this if the information was not confidential, but it's in very bad form.

My issue was that he's selling vastly underpowered amp/speaker combinations: I was ready to buy the OMA Mini and his "entry level" amp, the Parallax PD1. The PD1 is woefully underpowered for the Minis - even in my tiny 12'x13' room, it would not be able to drive them to reference 85db+20dB levels. Weiss is marketing the Minis as "highly efficient" - that's just not true.

When I asked him about this, he became incredibly rude, condescending, and dismissive! Really incredible 180 turn, as we had been super cordial and friendly until that point, and I was about to spend about $65k with OMA.

Still, I have to thank Weiss, as he sparked my journey to design and commission my own horns, based on the driver he calls "the best midrange in the world" the RCA1443. And the best part is I have spent a fraction of what he is charging.

On my journey, I have shared this story with quite a few dealers, speaker designers, and enthusiasts. The interesting thing is that everyone I spoke to had similar negative comments to make about Weiss. He's just not a good/nice person. There are many other companies that you should spend your money with.

There you have it ;)
It is pure insanity that people in such a tiny world do business in this way.

Coincident (Canada) and owner Isreal Blume is the same way. If you lie about and mis-represent your products, try to screw people over to make a quick profit, or otherwise mistreat your customers, word is going to get around... and you'll be put out of business. And deservedly so.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
100% @cal3713 !

Crossover question for some of you experts:
For my new crossovers, I’m contemplating for the midrange copper-foil Jantzen Amber Z-caps vs Alumen Z-caps. Huge, ~3X price delta. I know it’s hard to answer if it’s “worth it” or not; but what are your thoughts?

My pre-amp and amp use silver caps, wiring, and transformers (Kondo Japan), so it’s probably worth it to get the Amber caps for mid and high? Silver caps would be even more expensive, and I have to draw the line somewhere!

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
100% @cal3713 !

For my new crossovers, I’m contemplating for the midrange copper-foil Jantzen Amber Z-caps vs Alumen Z-caps. Huge, ~3X price delta. I know it’s hard to answer if it’s “worth it” or not; but what are your thoughts?

My pre-amp and amp use silver caps, wiring, and transformers (Kondo Japan), so it’s probably worth it to get the Amber caps for mid and high? Silver caps would be even more expensive, and I have to draw the line somewhere!
Some information you didn't ask for...

I tried Jantzen silver-z caps as my preamp coupling cap and did not like it at all. It was for a bass/midbass output and I lost all sorts of bass impact vs the mundorf supremes I had in previously.

Never went back to Jantzen after that.

(I use Duelund casts, but presume those are out of budget).

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Also, just a random suggestion.

Might be nice to have the crossover built with screw downs for the caps. They just all sound so different to me, I think making easy swapping is super useful.

You can always do final soldering later after you've bought yourself a few experimental presents.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

I tried Jantzen silver-z caps as my preamp coupling cap and did not like it at all. It was for a bass/midbass output and I lost all sorts of bass impact vs the mundorf supremes I had in previously.

100% @cal3713 !

I couldn’t afford the Duelund cast so opted for Miflex KPCU-1 bypassed with Duelund 0.01uf Tin/Copper caps. Jantzen foil inductor. Good enough for me.

NB. The Miflex are BIG!

Blue58

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada

The Jantzen Amber are a lot more expensive than the Silver… I’ll ask about the Duelunds, they are more than the Amber, but not much more. They are huge! Not sure I have room, as I need 32 uF and 15 uF … that’s about 8 of those per side.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing