Visit to Audiophile Bill to hear his horns project

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have not said I don't like wood. I like your highs, Markus klug's wooden Altec, uni highs, tune audio Anima timbre, Tang's highs, and I dislike some plastic and wood horns. In the ones I like I can hear balances in all, nothing to make an universal judgement about to say an ideal horn will always be a particular material and the other is inferior. That's all that I am saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: kodomo

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The problem is that the dual woofer FLH with bass horns would have to play up to 350hz to cross over to the Uni's mid JMLC horn

That's very easy, Altec and Leif play up to 550. But I don't want to digress. My point was I wouldn't change the mids and the highs of unis I have liked them for 4 years now

Reactions: christoph

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
He hasn't heard it in person, just my videos. Tbh uni has one of the best mids and highs I know, I wouldn't change it one bit, to make an even better horn, add a dual woofer FLH with bass horns.

Is there a plastic sound when I hear or the first time each time? Yes for the first ten minutes or so before I settle down, but then wood horns have a wood color that I can hear as well.

actually I heard the original uni not the latest one

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
He hasn't heard it in person, just my videos. Tbh uni has one of the best mids and highs I know, I wouldn't change it one bit, to make an even better horn, add a dual woofer FLH with bass horns.

Is there a plastic sound when I hear or the first time each time? Yes for the first ten minutes or so before I settle down, but then wood horns have a wood color that I can hear as well.

EVERYTHING has colour. It isn’t about colour being there or not. It is about which colour is more natural / realistic. I can assure you plastic is neither.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
The problem is that the dual woofer FLH with bass horns would have to play up to 350hz to cross over to the Uni's mid JMLC horn

Yes that is the problem with such an approach but you can argue it is a strength if you like the “dual woofer” sound in those frequencies and the crossover is transparent.

Other problem, is that you have reflex bass below 100hz with the Altec type approaches so you either don’t have the reflex component and cross to a bass horn like Leif or accept that compromise.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
The material alone does not mean a thing, it is always dependant on the specific application. I myself use composite horns by autotech on my multiway horn system however In my new design wood works better. If I was to go with a clone of my multiway system, I would have gone with composite.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
2014 at a show?

Yes indeed so.

So again please refrain from persistent misquoting me as I have heard Universums despite your attempts to the contrary. It is unacceptable and antisocial behaviour Ked.

There is no need to post about new iterations as you have done so a thousand times previously on this forum before - please post that on the uni thread not my thread, thanks.

Reactions: Amir and marmota

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
That's very easy, Altec and Leif play up to 550. But I don't want to digress. My point was I wouldn't change the mids and the highs of unis I have liked them for 4 years now
That should make an even better speaker of the Unis, then :cool: :D

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes indeed so.

So again please refrain from persistent misquoting me as I have heard Universums despite your attempts to the contrary. It is unacceptable and antisocial behaviour Ked.

There is no need to post about new iterations as you have done so a thousand times previously on this forum before - please post that on the uni thread not my thread, thanks.

Sorry Bill, you are reacting very angrily to me disagreeing. That 2014 show (which you didn't state) is a very unfair claim to "having heard them"

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
actually I heard the original uni not the latest one

Before and after 2016
That is a huge difference :oops:

I haven't heard the 2020 interation, though.
Birdparis is the only one I know with the 2020 Unis

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Sorry Bill, you are reacting very angrily to me disagreeing. That 2014 show (which you didn't state) is a very unfair claim to "having heard them"

Nonsense. The question is - did or did I not hear the Universum. The answer was I did.

I get angry for consistently misquoting me - it isn’t common decency.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The material alone does not mean a thing, it is always dependant on the specific application. I myself use composite horns by autotech on my multiway horn system however In my new design wood works better. If I was to go with a clone of my multiway system, I would have gone with composite.

Exactly. Autotech has been around for donkeyses Decades, and universum, silvercore, Berlin horns, Leif, all use them and they are excellent

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Before and after 2016
That is a huge difference :oops:

I haven't heard the 2020 interation, though.
Birdparis is the only one I know with the 2020 Unis

I don’t want to discuss Uni here, Chris. Happy to discuss on Uni thread though.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Sorry, Bill
I posted a lot about the Unis in this discussion before coming to this posting of yours asking not to do so :oops:
I can delete my postings if you wish

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Exactly. Autotech has been around for donkeyses Decades, and universum, silvercore, Berlin horns, Leif, all use them and they are excellent

They are a car manufacturer body work facility. It is easy cost of production as said.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Sorry, Bill
I posted a lot about the Unis in this discussion before coming to this posting of yours asking not to do so :oops:
I can delete my postings if you wish

Hi Chris,

No need - I am sorry that this has become about uni. I have enjoyed the recent vids a lot. Do I think a wood uni could be better - absolutely :)

Reactions: christoph

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

the geometry of the horns is what it is - the plastic manufacture is fine for production purposes.

Reactions: Tim Link

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing