Usher BE-20 dmd or Vienna Acoustics 'The Music'

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I've had the Ushers since new years day and have gotten a pretty good feel for them in fact I really enjoy how they sound, but ever since The Music came out and my appreciation for VA's less ambitious Beethoven speakers i'm really interested in what you guys can say that would give me am impression how they sound compared to the Ushers. I know these aren't mainstream products and don't expect much feedback, but any will be appreciated.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hi Steve,

I did not compare directly models you are mentioning but i had Usher mini diamond 2 for quite some time which i changed for VA imperial Liszt. Usher for sure is the great bang for the buck but VA is just soooo musical and seductive and i preffer them much more than diamond 2. So my wild guess would be that same story might happen to bigger brothers....

Cheers,
G

Reactions: steve59

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Thanks for posting. My concern goes back to my experience with the salon 2's. They sounded right in the system I heard them, but in the 9 months I had them I couldn't recreate the session and everything was a compromise. When U spend +$10k on a pair of speakers they need to sound good because they're the last piece in the puzzle. The hegel h360 is musical and powerful enough for my room size so if a speaker needs an arc welder to drive it I got to pass.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I own The Musiks, and it’s the only component I have never even think to replace

I would only replace with their successors

Reactions: steve59 and CDC77

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Thanks for posting. My concern goes back to my experience with the salon 2's. They sounded right in the system I heard them, but in the 9 months I had them I couldn't recreate the session and everything was a compromise. When U spend +$10k on a pair of speakers they need to sound good because they're the last piece in the puzzle. The hegel h360 is musical and powerful enough for my room size so if a speaker needs an arc welder to drive it I got to pass.
I drive mine with ARC ref75 and they are fairly an easy load so the amp does not even sweat properly. With your Hegel i would say would be the same story maybe even easier to drive them...for Ravel I’ve heaed different stoy - like the one you are mentioning..

Reactions: steve59

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Can you say the environment you got to hear each and what specifically you heard and preferred about the VA's? I don't doubt they're a better speaker but as i'm learning even at high prices there is still a compromise in the chain and source components can alter results so if you have some time to share what specifically stood out it would help me understand if they would be better for my application.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I know George K and I have listened to his system. He has one of the most beautiful and professionally treated dedicated listening space with the right architectural lighting. Is exactly the space where I fell in love with Gryphons, EMM, Aurender but mostly with the Vienna’s.

After the first auditioning there I went immediately for the Musik.
The mids and bass are the sexiest I had experienced. The realism and organic sound they offer it’s unthinkable.

I had later listened to WIslson Alexia series 2 and still I would go again for the Musiks.

My Musiks are paying in a totally untreated space and they sound fantastic

Reactions: CDC77 and Golum

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I wonder how different they would sound in my room with my gear? hm I shouldn't have let the pair on AG get away.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I know George K and I have listened to his system. He has one of the most beautiful and professionally treated dedicated listening space with the right architectural lighting. Is exactly the space where I fell in love with Gryphons, EMM, Aurender but mostly with the Vienna’s.

After the first auditioning there I went immediately for the Musik.
The mids and bass are the sexiest I had experienced. The realism and organic sound they offer it’s unthinkable.

I had later listened to WIslson Alexia series 2 and still I would go again for the Musiks.

My Musiks are paying in a totally untreated space and they sound fantastic

I have just the same comments about my Imperial Liszt VAs - I just love them.
I'm wondering if you tried or had a chance to listen to Music with tube gear as I believe VAs just love tube gear...at least mine does :).

Cheers;
G

Reactions: christoph

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I doubt that the Musiks can shine with tubed power amps, as they require plenty of current.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
The speakers I was interested in were a couple thousand miles away and while I hear often if somebody's going to spend 5 figures on a pair of speakers it's worth the investment on a flight to hear them. I suppose if you're the income of being able to build a system around those speakers that makes sense, but the speakers are the last piece of the puzzle here and I let them get away at a price that had they not played to their best I could have recovered my investment. Without comparing the 2 I can say the ushers are dynamic and my hegel has no trouble handling them so I listen and believe they're delivering their best. I the Music presents as difficult a load as the salon2's did I wouldn't reap the benefits anyhow. I sent a local shop an email request to demo the music loudspeakers but haven't heard back yet.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
The Musiks are not that difficult to drive but they need current. I used to own the Pass Labs XA160.8 and they were for sure unsuitable for this speakers.
In contrary the Mephisto drives them with ease.
I now understand that Pass Labs are not as used to be or advertised

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
You have a very impressive system, the purchase of my hegel h360 made me a bit nervous. and that wouldn't even cover the sales tax on a single Gryphon piece you have.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Thank you Steve

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I own the BE20Ds and have heard the older Viennas at RMAF about 5 years ago. Asuming the new Viennas like the Musik sound similar to 5 years back they are revealing and true to the source, and very slightly on the warm side. The Ushers with the stock xovers are much more forgiving and warmer sounding. I can't speaker for the Viennas in terms of amp requirements but the Ushers, while ~90DB and about a 4-5 ohm load nominal really wake up with good higher power SS amps. My dealer had stated they match well with Pass Labs amps and from a power providing standpoint, I agree. I have mine bi - amped with a dedicated 250W / ch MF amp on the woofers, they truly came alive. An option if you are willing and able would be to upgrade the Ushers' crossovers which changed their tonality (much less warm, significant detail retrieval + the woofers respond much faster being crossed over at ~200 rather than ~400Hz). GR Research is who I used for the xovers, highly recommended as the owner / designer Danny Richie designed crossovers for Usher and many other mfrs. If you are anywhere near the Austin area feel free to come by and hear mine. In the end, only you can decide and I highly recommend driving or flying to hear options especially when spending 5 figures. I hope this helps.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I contacted gp research and got a quote for the xover update. A pair of dsp8000's came up locally and I couldn't resist the chance to own a pair of $65k speakers... That put me over the limit and currently i've listed 3 pair of full range floorstanders on usam and I need 2 of them to sell the Strauss then either the meridians or the ushers. If the meridians sell i'll keep the Ushers and do the xover, and if the Ushers sell i'll dig even deeper and upgrade the dsp8000's. The VA's I was pining for were nearly 2000 miles away and they sold. I do still have that pair of beethovens that I use in a 2nd system and they seriously can hold their own against anything I bring home.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
FWIW, I'm likely selling my Ushers BE20Ds already upgraded. Feel free to stop by if you want to listen to the upgraded Ushers, they are something special IMO.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
If the weather breaks before i'm called back to work i'll jump on the gtl and zoom out there.

CDC77

May 26, 2021
Chicago
www.cdcaruso.com
I have just the same comments about my Imperial Liszt VAs - I just love them.
I'm wondering if you tried or had a chance to listen to Music with tube gear as I believe VAs just love tube gear...at least mine does :).

Cheers;
G
My Vienna Acoustics the Musics love my Lampizator Pacific and can’t wait to meet the Horizon.

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing