vsrrr

Sep 21, 2022
NYC
I just pulled the trigger a Merason DAC1 MK1 into my setup, as I was intrigued by its rep for a smooth yet dynamic, tonally rich sound. The big question mark for me is whether the Merason might sacrifice too much resolution in its pursuit of "musicality".

I will be A/B'ing it against the Holo Spring 3 KTE, which has been a fantastic match with my Gryphon integrated and Nola speakers.

In fact, the Spring has been such a great match that I've decided to skip the May KTE (which is too small a step up from the Spring, IMO), and instead search for an upgrade that's generally more resolving, and most importantly gives at least as much (but hopefully more) tonal density and realistic timbre. Ideally looking for something smoother and more extended in the highs, and more able to keep up with complex passages. I know this is possible to achieve, but I don't know how much more $$$ it'll cost me to get there. I'd love to hear the MSB Discrete or Mola Mola Tambaqui in my system, but they are financially out of reach. I'm really hoping the Merason DAC1 MK1 is the answer!

emergency

Jul 25, 2023
I feel is time to upgrade my amp and not easy to make a choice.

Currently playing MSB discrete and Linn LP12 through Vitus RI-101 mkII with TAD ME-1.

Beside the wish for an overall improvement, I’d like to improve dynamics and details at low volume, let’s say 70db.

I like Vitus sounds and it seems I have two main options:
- going for the RL102 preamp and either the RS101 power amp or my RI101 mkII as power amp
- replacing the RI101 mkII with the upper tier integrated SIA025

Any advice from Vitus owners or folks knowledgeable with the brand?

TAD C2000 with M2500 too far from my budget.

Attached picture of my listening space.

View attachment 122696
I use SIA-025 on my TAD R1 last week. Best ever I heard from my R1 so far.

Bretson

Jun 28, 2020
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I was at Southwest Audiofest over the weekend and it confirmed to me that I'm on the right path. There were only a few there that i would like to live with "more" than what i am currently sporting. The avantgarde Duo GT's were outstanding imo. I really enjoyed YG acoustics demos but not so much their peaks series. AGD and Rosso Fiorentino were very inviting.

I just plugged in an Octave V80SE with KT150's into my system with the MSB and it is sounding very ethereal. Honestly, the sound is similar to what i was getting with the Merason and Vitus. It certainly doesn't possess the sense of endless power of the Vitus though. The CR1's are out for the time being and the Dyn's are in. I'm loving the naturalness of things right now.

I hope you enjoy your time with the merason. I think it is a very "easy to love" unit.

Reactions: vsrrr and Ricco275

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Anyone can compare Audionet to Vitus? Which Audionet amp would be better than the Vitus RI-101 mkii? Power amp ideally as I have just bought a passive preamp from Music First Audio.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Anyone can compare Audionet to Vitus? Which Audionet amp would be better than the Vitus RI-101 mkii? Power amp ideally as I have just bought a passive preamp from Music First Audio.
Maybe ask music first what they recommend, as passives need to be carefully matched with power amps.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Maybe ask music first what they recommend, as passives need to be carefully matched with power amps.
They say anything works.

CJmooney

Feb 5, 2021
I'm biased, but dont' rule out a DarTZeel integrated. The Phono preamp is also very good.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
I'm biased, but dont' rule out a DarTZeel integrated. The Phono preamp is also very good.
Out of budget and keen on more discrete options

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
@Bretson today I have received my Merason DAC1 mk2. I have replaced my MSB discrete with redender V2 with the Merason. I connected via usb to the nucleus as I don’t have a dedicated streamer and so the comparison is not Apple to Apple. However, I find the MSB way more detailed, with higher clarity and sense of space, more brilliant, without being analytical. The Merason is said to be more analogue sounding. To me is like the typical feeling of heaving a heavy blanket thrown on the speakers when compared to the MSB discrete. It’s warm but hiding details. Maybe the lack of a streamer is impacting? Not sure can impact that much. And at low
Volume the MSB is better with my Vitus RI-101mk2 and TAD ME1 speakers, I’m certain about it. I guess every components makes
a difference so it’s hard to compare.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
I just pulled the trigger a Merason DAC1 MK1 into my setup, as I was intrigued by its rep for a smooth yet dynamic, tonally rich sound. The big question mark for me is whether the Merason might sacrifice too much resolution in its pursuit of "musicality".

I will be A/B'ing it against the Holo Spring 3 KTE, which has been a fantastic match with my Gryphon integrated and Nola speakers.

In fact, the Spring has been such a great match that I've decided to skip the May KTE (which is too small a step up from the Spring, IMO), and instead search for an upgrade that's generally more resolving, and most importantly gives at least as much (but hopefully more) tonal density and realistic timbre. Ideally looking for something smoother and more extended in the highs, and more able to keep up with complex passages. I know this is possible to achieve, but I don't know how much more $$$ it'll cost me to get there. I'd love to hear the MSB Discrete or Mola Mola Tambaqui in my system, but they are financially out of reach. I'm really hoping the Merason DAC1 MK1 is the answer!
I had the spring 3 kte 2 years ago. Moved to MSB discrete and just magic. This thread got me curious and I have bought a Merason DAC1 mk2. Yes it sounds fuller and more analogue than the MSB Discrete, definitely losing a lot of clarity, precision, width of soundstage. My Linn LP12 sounds more dynamic and with pinpoint clarity than the Merason. As always it comes to taste and systems. I’m not into analytical sound, but I need to carefully evaluate if the Merason is what I’m after. The comparison is not apple to apple with MSB as the Discrete as the renderer v2 module to stream and talking to Nucleus core via Ethernet. The Merason is without streamer and connected straight to the nucleus core via usb. I’ll spend the weekend with Merason and might return it after Easter.

shawnf

Jan 1, 2022
@Bretson today I have received my Merason DAC1 mk2. I have replaced my MSB discrete with redender V2 with the Merason. I connected via usb to the nucleus as I don’t have a dedicated streamer and so the comparison is not Apple to Apple. However, I find the MSB way more detailed, with higher clarity and sense of space, more brilliant, without being analytical. The Merason is said to be more analogue sounding. To me is like the typical feeling of heaving a heavy blanket thrown on the speakers when compared to the MSB discrete. It’s warm but hiding details. Maybe the lack of a streamer is impacting? Not sure can impact that much. And at low
Volume the MSB is better with my Vitus RI-101mk2 and TAD ME1 speakers, I’m certain about it. I guess every components makes
a difference so it’s hard to compare.
My experience in my system is that the MSB Pro ISL/USB module sounds better than the Network Renderer V2. Yes, I had the opportunity to extensively demo both and easily preferred the Pro USB.

The next thing is finding a good USB-based transport to partner with. Having had the good fortune to play with both an SoTM and Antipodes CX - tested with LMS/Squeeze versus Roon - I discovered very good synergy with both but with the Antipodes edging out the SoTM, especially when set on local file playback with LMS and Squeeze. As close to a CD transport sound I have ever gotten.

YMMV as always.

Reactions: Ricco275

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
My experience in my system is that the MSB Pro ISL/USB module sounds better than the Network Renderer V2. Yes, I had the opportunity to extensively demo both and easily preferred the Pro USB.

The next thing is finding a good USB-based transport to partner with. Having had the good fortune to play with both an SoTM and Antipodes CX - tested with LMS/Squeeze versus Roon - I discovered very good synergy with both but with the Antipodes edging out the SoTM, especially when set on local file playback with LMS and Squeeze. As close to a CD transport sound I have ever gotten.

YMMV as always.
The antipodes is out of range for now. I’m planning to replace the renderer with the pro usb and get an Innuos Zenith to act as streamer and Roon core. I will ditch the Roon nucleus as a core to have less units around.

Reactions: shawnf

Bretson

Jun 28, 2020
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Hi Ricco,

I think your experience is more or less in line with my ownership of the merason. I don't find it to be a wet blanket on the sound but i do find it to be full and analog. I do agree that it does not have the clarity of the MSB and yet it worked better with my Vitus equipment than with other DAC's i had tried. If you've lived with the MSB, it is hard to go back. As I mentioned, my experience was that the MSB did not play well with the Vitus for whatever reason.

I am currently running the MSB to the Audionet Watt, Dynaudio Confidence 30, Rel No31, Siltech 770 cabling and it pretty much gives me everything i need. I have thrown in an Octave V80Se for fun and it really delivers also. I also find that the Pro-USB sounds better than the renderer. I tried streaming Roon through the renderer direct from a (Melco S100 with Plixir Linear Power Supply) VS My homemade Silent PC with JCAT NetCard and USB to the Pro USB module and i prefer it 10/10 times over the renderer.

All this is fun, but i see all these videos on youtube of guys praising the Playback designs MPD8 and its calling my name and i really want to try it as well, lol. I had considered upgrading the MSB but then the jump to the MPD8 is only another jump from there. What to do? In the meantime, i have really been enjoying things on my system so all is good in audioland.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Hi @Bretson ,
I didn't know the MPD8, gosh.
Yesterday I have added the passive preamp from Music First Audio in the chain and everything has changed. The MSB became too detalied and dynamic, too fatiguing on most music genres. In comparison, the Merason brought a new level of clarity and precision, still with that warmer analogue tone. Beautiful.
My next step will be replacing the Vitus with The TAD M1000 power amp. We never really know what the next change will bring to any system, but reading differences between Vitus and TAD amps, and my experience so far, I should be quite satisfied with Merason, Music First Audio and TAD amp and speakers.
Let's see. Indeed it's a fun game.

Reactions: tom539 and shawnf

shawnf

Jan 1, 2022
Hi @Bretson ,
I didn't know the MPD8, gosh.
Yesterday I have added the passive preamp from Music First Audio in the chain and everything has changed. The MSB became too detalied and dynamic, too fatiguing on most music genres. In comparison, the Merason brought a new level of clarity and precision, still with that warmer analogue tone. Beautiful.
My next step will be replacing the Vitus with The TAD M1000 power amp. We never really know what the next change will bring to any system, but reading differences between Vitus and TAD amps, and my experience so far, I should be quite satisfied with Merason, Music First Audio and TAD amp and speakers.
Let's see. Indeed it's a fun game.
A friend of mine also recently used a Benchmark HPA-4 as a preamp for his MSB Discrete DAC. According to him, when he listened to this setup, he felt the MSB lost some of its 'romance' compared to the built-in preamp.

Given what MSB say about the quality of their DAC's preamps, I'm wondering how much more one has to pay to get a quality preamp with good synergy.

Reactions: Ricco275

NC Lee

Oct 23, 2014
NC
I feel is time to upgrade my amp and not easy to make a choice.

Currently playing MSB discrete and Linn LP12 through Vitus RI-101 mkII with TAD ME-1.

Beside the wish for an overall improvement, I’d like to improve dynamics and details at low volume, let’s say 70db.

I like Vitus sounds and it seems I have two main options:
- going for the RL102 preamp and either the RS101 power amp or my RI101 mkII as power amp
- replacing the RI101 mkII with the upper tier integrated SIA025

Any advice from Vitus owners or folks knowledgeable with the brand?

TAD C2000 with M2500 too far from my budget.

Attached picture of my listening space.

View attachment 122696
I have the 101-2 and have auditioned the SIA025. For me, it was not as dynamic, like it rounded the front corner of the notes.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
I have the 101-2 and have auditioned the SIA025. For me, it was not as dynamic, like it rounded the front corner of the notes.
Makes sense. I’m most likely replacing the Vitus with the TAD M1000 to hopefully have synergy with my TAD ME1 speakers.

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
@Ricco275

See my comments on your other thread.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing