upgrade parasound JC1 to boulder 1060 or Lamm M2.2?

Thetiminator

Apr 20, 2015
The three amps you mention will all sound quite different. I have had the JC1's and now have the 1060.

It all depends on what you're looking for? They are both excellent at what they do. The Boulder being slightly less creamy with tighter bass, better dynamics, not as good soundstage and is generally more vivd. (but by no means bright!!)

The 1060 does need to be on a few hours before it smoothes out (if it's off for more than 24 hours - much longer than that). If you like powerful bass don't go for the Boulder, it majors on tone and punch rather than fullness.

I love mine and in the process of upgrading, the Boulder stuff is just soooo good, relaible and trouble free too. At the end of the day, the Boulder is in the ultra high end where I wouldn't count the other two as quite being in the same league. Good luck!!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
actually the boulder is back to my list
I only turn on my system for no more than 2 hour each day, sometime only one hour or less
I need my system be ready in short time, my current system need 30 minutes warm up time, so the new amp should be less
I under the impression boulder need 4 hour to warm up and sound good. to me it is deal breaker
further discussion I found that the 1060 idle power only 75W, which mean I can leave it on idle 24/7
from idle, it should require almost no time to sound good. if this is the case, it will be ideal

I just listen to a system with Sasha 2 + audio reaserch big tube mono amp + the latest dCS gear
it did not impress me at all.
my current system, sound so good. it really make me wonder if the upgrade is necessary at all

I was going to go with the Lamms, but when you mentioned your listening habits, I'll have to go with the darTZeel.
It's good to go within 2 minutes!
It uses an ingenious scheme, where it's always energized, even when fully turned off! Of course, it's using only 2W off the wall, so your energy bill won't suffer :) But it's enough to keep everything nice and warm, and most importantly, ready to go when you want to listen!

alexandre

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard the viola bravo are better from someone who had heard both those and the 1060, and used price for the viola is slightly higher. I have heard neither

taoh2

Mar 13, 2015
The three amps you mention will all sound quite different. I have had the JC1's and now have the 1060.

It all depends on what you're looking for? They are both excellent at what they do. The Boulder being slightly less creamy with tighter bass, better dynamics, not as good soundstage and is generally more vivd. (but by no means bright!!)

The 1060 does need to be on a few hours before it smoothes out (if it's off for more than 24 hours - much longer than that). If you like powerful bass don't go for the Boulder, it majors on tone and punch rather than fullness.

I love mine and in the process of upgrading, the Boulder stuff is just soooo good, relaible and trouble free too. At the end of the day, the Boulder is in the ultra high end where I wouldn't count the other two as quite being in the same league. Good luck!!

do you mean even if I keep the boulder on around the clock but play no music, and I still need a few hour of music before it sounds its best?
if so, that is deal breaker.

tao

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The boulder 1060 will probably sound better a few hours on the juice , but even on cold start up you will hear its qualities versus other SS units , i owned it for a couple of years
Another tip stop following other audiophiles or reviewers or one might be running in circles for a long time , i Always buy a unit or trade one in , after a few months you get an idea how it sounds sound in your system , no speaker is the same , same goes for preamps .
IMO the boulder has tremendous basscontrol i compared it extensively against the Krell evo 400 amps , the krells might be famous for it but the boulder crushes the krells in that regard even if it has 100 watts less and the krells have bigger monaural powersuplies.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing