Lampi Golden Atlantic Dac: deciding to go unbalanced or balanced ? that is the question ??

newbiecapri

Dec 20, 2019
hey guys, hoping you can chime in.
Im definitely decided to go with the GA Dac as my dac of choice.
I currently have a Berkeley REF Dac in my system A and have decided t0 order a GA for my 2nd system.
Both of my systems are actually balanced.
System A has a pre-amp going into a power amp. System b in which I plan to use the Lampi will have its own vol control direct to a power amp which can do both balance and single ended.. And at times ill use an integrated amplifier.
I was rally bent already on doing the balance Lampi with VC. However,
One of my good friend here recommended that I go single ended with the Lampi for the following valid reasons:

a.) tube rolling with 4 match tubes is expensive especially when you get to NOS = which I agree!
b.) no sonic difference between balance and single ended connection ( my longest interconnect run is 2m only so I tend to agree.)
c.) save a good EURO1500-EURO2000 going single ended over balance option.

For many years most of my source have the option of going balance and single ended but I always choose balance as I have many good XLR cables..

Is there a good reason for me to stay with a balance Lampi Dac with VC or I can just get away with single ended and save $ on tube rolling with two tubes instead of 4 tubes ?

I have a few days to decide on this before placing the final order...

Im hoping that by going single ended , there is no sonic deterioration in sound.

My power amp includes a Mcintosh solid state, Vac tube amp = both are fitted with single ended and balanced.

Merry xmas & looking forward to some insights....
best.
C

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi,

I guess the best way is to try both out if you can. Many members here including my good friend, Bonzo, insist SE is the way to go for all the reasons cited by you and including the fact that somehow it’s even more dynamic than balanced.
Having said this, I have a balanced lampi Big 7 which I recently upgraded to mkII ( by the way, to fantastic results) because Lukasz recommended I go balanced given my system is true balanced all the way.
Irrespective, you have a world class DAC to enjoy.

I guess you need to be mindful of the input impedance of your power amp and match the lampi output impedance to it. While I am not technically competent to comment, I am given to understand that balanced route does increase the out put impedance of the lampi, which could exacerbate the issue.

Hope this helps

Sujay

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing