UltraAnalogue Recordings releases 5 new tapes from star violinist Alena Baeva & pianist Vadym Kholodenko.

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I put in my order for all five tapes today! Ed is producing more classical music content on 15ips 2 track than anyone else. He has consistently found superb young artists, most of whom have been major prize winners in the big international competitions. Alena and Vadym fit that mold to a tee. His home studio, with top notch recording equipment and super acoustics, have been the source of some of the very best sounding tapes around, both in their audio and artistic qualities.

Larry

Reactions: Steve Williams

Deepender

Feb 2, 2017
Congratulations Ed

Your tapes are always top shelf

Top shelf indeed! Ed’s tapes stand alone at the apex of open reel source material, as these most recent five releases will attest. This “embarrassment of riches” continues apace ... Enjoy!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I had a marathon tape playing session this weekend, playing all five of Ed's new tapes featuring Alena Baeva, violin and Vadym Kholodenko, piano. The tapes combined both parts of a live concert that Alena and Vadym performed at Ed's home studio/concert hall and recordings that Ed did of them without audience.

As usual, the acoustics are magnificent. Ed has been able to consistently capture the sound of of the instruments playing in a real acoustical space, both with really fine electronics (engineered by Tony Ma) and a very direct connection to his Studer tape machine, no multitracking or mixing.

So my comments will focus on the artists. Both Alena and Vadym are in their early 30's (she from Kazakhkstan and he from Ukraine). Both have won first prizes at four international competitions each, including the Wienawski competition for Alena and the Van Cliburn competition for Vadym. The recital was composed of violin-piano (or in some cases piano-violin) sonatas and other pieces from Mozart to Schubert, that is late classical to early romantic. Here the issue is musicality over virtuosity. You can tell that Alena and Vadym have played together before with the subtle interplay between them - sometimes the piano imitating the violin and sometimes the reverse. Virtuosity is clearly evident hearing Alena playing the Milstein Paganiniana, a tour de force of violin playing, with Milstein's arrangement of Paganini even more difficult than the original Paganini. Vadym has a similar level of performance in four Rachmaninoff preludes including the famous g minor. You will also get to hear the Purcell Ground, a delightful short keyboard piece that Vadym plays. Ed recorded it twice, once in the concert and once without audience. They are on two different tapes.

If you were to buy only one to start, I would suggest the Mozart tape which also includes the Milstein Paganiniana and the studio version of the Purcell Ground, so you get to hear the two artists together and each playing a solo.

You can decide for yourself, since Ed has posted on Youtube (accessible from his website) the concert featuring the main pieces on the tapes.

https://ultraanaloguerecordings.com/new/i-am-very-excited-to-release-these-5-new-tapes/

Larry

Reactions: bonzo75

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I received 2 of Ed Pong's 5 recent tape releases and finally got a chance to listen to these tapes.

Ed continues to amaze me with the talent that he finds for his recording sessions . Not only are they superb musicians but the music picked has always been new treasures for me as I find myself listening to his tapes countless times and hearing something new with each listen.

The quality of the recordings are second to none and at last count I have 18 of Ed's tapes. Each and every one of them continue to occupy top shelf in my tape collection

These last 2 bring two new artists Alena Baeva on violin and Vadym Kholodenko on piano

I thought both tapes were excellent but I especially liked the Schubert Rondo recorded live at Ed's famous recording studio at his home outside Toronto

I found that both performers brought with a totally different style than the two Ed has previously recorded over the past few years. Narita was my favorite violinist but listening to Alena play it was simply beautiful

Both these tapes should he heard if you are a classical music fan. Ed has enlightened my senses and knowledge of Classical music and for me this is a very good thing

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I am 4 tapes short of Steve's on Ed's tapes.
Just read Larry's comment above on Paganiniana. I need to get that one.

@Steve Williams @astrotoy . You both own the Doshi tapepre. Did you change the 12AX7 to Telefunken?

Kind regards,
Tang

Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Hi Ed

I can honestly say that each tape for me is brand new music. That plus the fact that the musicians are excellent and the quality of the recording is off the scale. Then add the little things as to how well these tapes are packaged to go anywhere safely in the world. Your wife must do that as the packaging is exceptional ;)

Put those all together and for my collection your tapes all occupy top shelf

Kudos Ed

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Steve

Absolutely, I'm working on a piano trio concert with Alena, Narek & Vadym....
I'm also trying to book these soloists with a major orchestra in Canada to play the Beethoven Triple Concerto... that will be very cool...

Actually, Amy looks after all the food, after the concerts... (have a look at these recent pics on the website..)
https://ultraanaloguerecordings.com/new/gallery/

There's a saying in Chinese... the literal translation is: "one foot kicking..." which means I do everything.... (except the cooking!)

Without Amy... UltraAnalogue Recordings would not exist...!

Kudos to her!

Ed

Reactions: Steve Williams

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
I will record the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto...on September 21, albeit, with a piano reduction for the orchestra part with violinist
Xiang Yu... to hear the violin part thru these tubed electronics & tape will be fascinating....

Nov 3, I will have Van Cliburn winner, Vadym Kholodenko play a solo piano recital at my place...

Look forward to tapes from these 2 sessions!

Ed

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing