TotalDAC D1-Switch Listening Impressions

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
I have just recently had the chance to audition the new TotalDAC D1-Switch in my system. This is the first high end audio switch that I have tried and I must say, the magnitude of the sonic improvement that the D1-Switch provided to my digital front end was quite surprising to me.

My digital front end consists of the TotalDac D1-Twelve MK 2 DAC's, TD D1-streamer MK2, TD D1-digital reclocker MK2, and the TD D1-player. So for me, the new TD D1-switch was an obvious product to try.

I powered the TD D1-switch with a Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord and connected it to my Belkin router (which is already powered by a high quality Paul Hynes linear power supply). I then connected my TD D1-streamer mk2 and TD D1-player to the correct ethernet connections on the rear of the D1-switch. I also burned in the D1-Switch for about 2 weeks before I started to do any critical listening with it but it sounded very good within a few days of setting it up in my system.

With all of my listening with the D1-switch in the system, it was obvious to me how much better the TD D1-Twelve digital front end sounded with the D1-switch, but it wasn’t until I did a listening comparison of with and without the D1-switch was I able to really understand how much better it sounded and why. I would say the following:

1. With the D1-switch, music is presented in a much more coherent and elegant manner than without the switch. The key aspects of what I heard was that without the switch, the music is pushed forward in the soundstage and is very much a two dimensional presentation. But with the D1-switch, the music is pushed back about 4-5 rows deeper into the soundstage and with an overall more three dimensional soundstage. When this happens, it feels like the musicians are performing much more in their own space and more effortlessly within the soundstage.

2. Another very key improvement to the sound with the D1-switch is that it felt like the music was presented with a much better sense of timing and flow which contributed to a better overall sense of ease to the sound. Without the switch, it became obvious to me that the music sounds quite a bit more forced and less coherent. In addition without the d1-switch the performers sound less elegant with what I would call "a little roughness around the edges" type of sound.

For me, and in my system and with my sonic preferences, there is no question that the D1-switch is a significant sonic improvement for me. The bottom line is that once I heard how music sounded with the D1-switch, it would be very difficult to listen to my digital front end without it!

Thanks,
Arnie

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
I have just recently had the chance to audition the new TotalDAC D1-Switch in my system. This is the first high end audio switch that I have tried and I must say, the magnitude of the sonic improvement that the D1-Switch provided to my digital front end was quite surprising to me.

My digital front end consists of the TotalDac D1-Twelve MK 2 DAC's, TD D1-streamer MK2, TD D1-digital reclocker MK2, and the TD D1-player. So for me, the new TD D1-switch was an obvious product to try.

I powered the TD D1-switch with a Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord and connected it to my Belkin router (which is already powered by a high quality Paul Hynes linear power supply). I then connected my TD D1-streamer mk2 and TD D1-player to the correct ethernet connections on the rear of the D1-switch. I also burned in the D1-Switch for about 2 weeks before I started to do any critical listening with it but it sounded very good within a few days of setting it up in my system.

With all of my listening with the D1-switch in the system, it was obvious to me how much better the TD D1-Twelve digital front end sounded with the D1-switch, but it wasn’t until I did a listening comparison of with and without the D1-switch was I able to really understand how much better it sounded and why. I would say the following:

1. With the D1-switch, music is presented in a much more coherent and elegant manner than without the switch. The key aspects of what I heard was that without the switch, the music is pushed forward in the soundstage and is very much a two dimensional presentation. But with the D1-switch, the music is pushed back about 4-5 rows deeper into the soundstage and with an overall more three dimensional soundstage. When this happens, it feels like the musicians are performing much more in their own space and more effortlessly within the soundstage.

2. Another very key improvement to the sound with the D1-switch is that it felt like the music was presented with a much better sense of timing and flow which contributed to a better overall sense of ease to the sound. Without the switch, it became obvious to me that the music sounds quite a bit more forced and less coherent. In addition without the d1-switch the performers sound less elegant with what I would call "a little roughness around the edges" type of sound.

For me, and in my system and with my sonic preferences, there is no question that the D1-switch is a significant sonic improvement for me. The bottom line is that once I heard how music sounded with the D1-switch, it would be very difficult to listen to my digital front end without it!

Thanks,
Arnie
Hi Arnie,

Couidnt agree more. Our systems are similar, and I also experienced significant improvements in the musical engagement produced by Vincent’s totaldac d1-switch and Ethernet cable. Clearly worth a listen if you already have one of Vincent’s DACs.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Miam miam !

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Thank you very much Arnies and Cmarin!
You are the only two key systems having tried the d1-switch, and you both liked it, so I am happy!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
it's significant compared to other network switches i have seen, that the TolalDAC D1 switch comes with a linear power supply on board. saves you on the LPS plus possibly a cable expense. OTOH you can't play with various LPS choices for whatever that is worth.

Reactions: gionaz and cmarin

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
it's significant compared to other network switches i have seen, that the TolalDAC D1 switch comes with a linear power supply on board. saves you on the LPS plus possibly a cable expense. OTOH you can't play with various LPS choices for whatever that is worth.
Hi Mike,

Yes it is true that having the LPS on board does limit the opportunity to try out other LPS options.

But FWIW, Vincent’s LPSs, of which I also use a separate one to power the totaldac reclockers and DAC, are superb.

Reactions: JayDee

gionaz

May 3, 2018
Rome
having a well-designed power supply on board is always a positive factor for me, as it is the designer who has selected the various components for the best results and the right synergy!

Reactions: cmarin

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Here is a review of the d1-switch in Chinese: https://www.totaldac.com/fichiers/totaldac_d1-switch_china.pdf

No harm will be caused without comparisons. Many enthusiasts think that the sound of a digital player is not as good as a CD player. That's because your digital player system can only exert less than 60% of its performance without adding a network switch. There are two concepts for adding network switches. Of course, the prices of network switches are also very different, and the quality is uneven. There is no doubt that adding a network switch to a hifi network playback system, especially the advanced network switch can directly double the "value" of digital player products or even show the value of several times the machine itself, and the Totaldac D1-switch is the leader in network switches, even the ceiling level among the network switches we have come across. It is quiet, pure, transparent, and clean, which is very suitable for the current digital music system. Furthermore, in conjunction with its internal four specially designed independent switch modules to minimize signal jitter. It is a rare function of the current high-end network switches. How much do you think an excellent network switch should be priced at?

Reactions: CKKeung

dorch

Apr 8, 2020
Just received my Totaldac network switch from Vincent last week. Its feeding my d1-direct / dual d1-driver system. I already have a couple of fibre sections in my wired network to help avoid interference and have also invested in Totaldac and PSaudio power systems, so i was not expecting a very significant difference. But as described by others in this thread the improvement is not a small one.

I definitely agree there is more "space" between instruments and voices both in width and particularly in a very layered depth. The improvement seems to be across the whole musical spectrum and its particularly noticeable with:
- percussion: the edges of drumbeats are sharper and clearer and its much easier to hear the difference between different drums and where they are positioned, cymbals have an increased shimmer to their edges - not in an exagerated way but definately even more realistic.
- guitars - its very easy to tell the difference between metal and other stringing.

its not a very scientific explanation but it gives the impression that a veil has been lifted from the higher frequencies (probably the harmonic components of the music) and the d1-direct is able to deliver even more of what its capable of. I have older ears now so i cant personally hear the highest frequencies but somehow my brain manages to interpret better the more integrated sound that gets delivered.

I dont know how Vincent keeps delivering these improvements, but I am very glad that he does.
You should definitely give this switch a try if you have the chance.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
The new Magico demo room has tested and selected a Totaldac d1-sublime DAC and a Totaldac d1-switch ethernet switch to demo the Magico new S3, M7 and M9 speakers.

corrected 5box magico_m9_speakers_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_2023_high_end_audiophile_l...jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing