Top Wing Seiryu arrives at Believe High Fidelity

May 4, 2013
It not so easy just to add a diamond cantilever to an existing cartridge without tuning the cartridge, how does one determine that a diamond cantilever makes a difference, a cartridge has to be voiced to work together. I have have added diamond cantilever's in the past that have been disaster. I have had a diamond cantilever on a Koetsu Urushi it was a waste of time. My conclusion is that a cartridge has to be voiced to the materials used, I am sure if top wing come up with a new model with a diamond cantilever they may be able to come up with something tasty but I am sure they will look at other aspects of voicing the cartridge at the same time. I once asked a manufacturer to include a shappire cantilever to a design I had to send the cartridge back so many times to play around it it the balance was changed beyond any sence.

Sep 27, 2016
California
I agree that blindly swapping to a diamond/ruby/sapphire cantilever may not make sense. But designing around a diamond or sapphire cantilever does because of the technical merits. They are normally one piece, i.e. cantilever plus tip. So no glue joint and less mass. This should then translate to lower jitter, and therefore better tracking capability and lower overall distortion.

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
-snip: They are normally one piece, i.e. cantilever plus tip. So no glue joint and less mass. snip-
I would love to learn more about how that is accomplished in manufacturing.

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
I would love to learn more about how that is accomplished in manufacturing.
I believe there are only a few cartridges which have been designed with one piece diamond cantilever/stylus, which would have to be made with the stylus profile machined in the end of the cantilever as a single piece. It is more common for cartridges which use a diamond cantilever (like the recent top designs from Ortofon) to still have a separate diamond stylus which is attached to the end of a diamond cantilever, not a single piece.

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I get that. Just saying:

1) it's pretty cool it can be done. Love to see a video of the process.

2) it's even more cool that it *is* done for something so niche and tiny of a market as high-end cartridge stylus!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing