Tobian Soundsystems - Switzerland

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I traded my pair of Verity Amadis S against the 12 FH and that`s it. No money added on my part.

I have downsized substantially and have no longer the Tobian speakers or very expensive electronics. Very happy with more affordable gear and feel that I do not miss expensive high end devices at all. This after app 40 years as an "audiophile".

JP
That’s great you can down grade and still be happy.cheers to that.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I see xlr input on ma70 but not on ma100. Is this an option, is it transformer balanced at input or just a convenience xlr socket like Lamm?

Their monoblock amps are push pull so they can be balanced, and with so many tube options they can be of interest to me.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Up to now it was an option and transformer balanced. With MA100mk2 which is being rolled out in Nov it will be standard as it is fully symmetrical per se. Tube option will of course remain to be chosen by customers and the ones with 46 are really special (heard those countless times)...

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I guess, a 46 fully symmetrical would fit my system very well. My speakers are about 1w/109db and bass below 100hz has their own balanced servo amplification. The preamp and my sources are balanced too.

Reactions: christoph

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Yes I'm quite confident this combo with your speakers would be a great match

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Yes, those speakers would be about as ideal as it gets, which isn't to say it wouldn't pair wonderfully with a more moderately efficient speaker.

I've got a Tobian amp scheduled for delivery Friday and know how I will be spending my weekend.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Awesome video, but I've gotta say it really only gives a hint of what the 12FHs are capable of even with more reasonable electronics. After rolling several much more expensive combinations into my parlor, last night I returned to the simple LampizatOr AmberAmp fed by the Taiko Extreme through a Final Touch Audio SiNOPE cable and I am just stunned at how impressive this setup is with an under $8k DAC/Pre/Amp all in one unit.

For those interested in the line but perhaps needing a moment for budget to recover I could make the high recommendation of the Tobian 12FH / AmberAmp combo. Obviously the Tobian electronics will take things further, but this simple system will more than get you going with ultra high end 'Tobian' sound.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Awesome video, but I've gotta say it really only gives a hint of what the 12FHs are capable of even with more reasonable electronics. After rolling several much more expensive combinations into my parlor, last night I returned to the simple LampizatOr AmberAmp fed by the Taiko Extreme through a Final Touch Audio SiNOPE cable and I am just stunned at how impressive this setup is with an under $8k DAC/Pre/Amp all in one unit.

For those interested in the line but perhaps needing a moment for budget to recover I could make the high recommendation of the Tobian 12FH / AmberAmp combo. Obviously the Tobian electronics will take things further, but this simple system will more than get you going with ultra high end 'Tobian' sound.
The AmberAmp is an awesome piece of gear :cool:

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
It is indeed. Are you rocking stock tubes or did you upgrade? I'm curious as to just how high a performance I could get out of the Tobian 12FHs with this little integrated optimized... Really struts its stuff with these wide open speakers.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
It is indeed. Are you rocking stock tubes or did you upgrade? I'm curious as to just how high a performance I could get out of the Tobian 12FHs with this little integrated optimized... Really struts its stuff with these wide open speakers.
I'm using stock tubes.
What tubes would you suggest to swap?

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
I'm using stock tubes.
What tubes would you suggest to swap?
I still haven't opened the unit, so I'm using the stock tubes. I'll have to speak with Lukssz for suggestions or what to avoid if I do roll. I've never rolled el84s before so I should do some research to see what is well regarded.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I still haven't opened the unit, so I'm using the stock tubes. I'll have to speak with Lukssz for suggestions or what to avoid if I do roll. I've never rolled el84s before so I should do some research to see what is well regarded.
I would appreciate you sharing your findings (with me first, before prices go through the roof) ;)

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

The Mullard EL84 are highly regarded. Haven't tried

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
plays really wonderful, I would prefer the loudspeaker, more warmth and play more openly and transparently. Can of course also be due to the recording I don't know.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
No wonder , 6N6 driver tube runs at limit 30mA, must be sound great kicks GM 70 in the a**:p
mr lampizator knows how to use tubes. I used this tube as an output stage for my nos dac

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
No wonder , 6N6 driver tube runs at limit 30mA, must be sound great kicks GM 70 in the a**:p
mr lampizator knows how to use tubes. I used this tube as an output stage for my nos dac
Indeed he does, and Gunter is no slouch with his designs either. ;)

Actually, I was just discussing with Gunter Tobian a soon to be released el34 stereo amplifier which really has me intrigued to show off with these speakers. I admit to being a big fan of that tube and know the standard her attaches to anything with his name, so to have a Tobian amplifier in a smaller, stereo amp format is pretty darn intriguing. If it comes out in time, I may end up debuting that instead of the integrated at the upcoming Florida show... whatever I bring, it will be a special room!

Reactions: findog and Golum

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing