The Ugly American

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
And was just broken on a horrible service game when she tossed her racket. Her 4th time I believe?

One question for you - if Serena never looks at her coach as claimed and has never received signals, why would he send signals (which he admitted)?

For accuracy, Serena did not say she never looks at her coach. Players do that all the time. She said she never receives coaching.

I would be pissed if I was penalized for something that everyone does and rarely gets penalized for it.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
For accuracy, Serena did not say she never looks at her coach. Players do that all the time. She said she never receives coaching.

I would be pissed if I was penalized for something that everyone does and rarely gets penalized for it.

You keep missing the point that she was losing the match. Why are the Serena defenders forgetting this most important point?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
You keep missing the point that she was losing the match. Why are the Serena defenders forgetting this most important point?

What is that so relevant?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

When she got the warning for coaching she was ahead 3-1 in the 2nd set, no?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Not only has Rafael Nadal said that to an umpire during a match he then requested to the tennis authorities that that particular umpire not officiate his matches. This stuff is not as rare as you think. Search Nadal and Bernardes.

Lets not deflect and excuse bad behavior by pointing to someone else who has committed the same or similar offense. The fact that Nadal did the same thing does not make it right for Serena to do it. Or are you saying it is OK because a male tennis player did it, so she should be able to do it? Is that the argument now?

Navratilova made this very point in her article in the NYT. She wrote that it is not right that Serena excuse her own behavior because male tennis players also behave badly.

I've heard of this demand twice, from Nadal and from Williams. And I've watched a lot of tennis over the years. I'd say a player demanding that a particular umpire be banned from all future matches that that player has is a pretty rare event. I'm not saying it never happens, I'm saying it is not good behavior, and both Williams and Nadal are guilty of it.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Serena’s behavior was extreme and nothing any player should be proud of and in the end she can only blame herself for exposing herself to what happened. But, I put a lot of blame on Ramos for not trying to defuse the situation. The only one who performed great that day was Osaka.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
And was just broken on a horrible service game when she tossed her racket. Her 4th time I believe?

One question for you - if Serena never looks at her coach as claimed and has never received signals, why would he send signals (which he admitted)?

Keith, don't you know that emotions and political correctness trump logic and reason? He said he was coaching her, she said that she saw him give her a "thumbs up". Ramos saw him coaching her. The facts don't matter to the narrative. This is bigger than all of that. This is about gender equity in sports and overcoming great challenges to be the best.

The author of Al's linked article in Vox overlooks one important fact. He wrote that she is the greatest tennis player of all time. That is not true. McEnroe got in a lot of trouble a year or two ago when he dared to say that the top 100 male players would beat Serena Williams in a match. She is arguable the best FEMALE tennis player of all time, but she is not the best tennis player of all time.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Don't forget that she threatened him by telling him that "he would never be at one of her matches again in his lifetime." I had not idea she had that amount of power to control who umpires her matches. Incredible. That just tells you that she thinks she has more power than the umpire does. Demanding that he apologize to her. Crazy stuff.

That would have been grounds for dismissal for the tournament for me. Then you wait and see if the integrity of the game is held up. The umpire needs to be trusted. If they are not making the right calls it should be addressed not on the court.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

That's not how the scoring system of tennis works. For the women, it's the person that wins two sets out of three sets, Serena was well behind. Of her 23 Grand Slam wins, one 2 have been after losing the first set. She was in trouble.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
In the second set ...

"02:50 IST: Serena Williams gets the break, she leads 3-1 in the second set and the crowd is going absolutely berserk about it."

The full picture (including the first set where Williams was trailing 5-1):
https://sports.ndtv.com/tennis/us-o...e-score-serena-williams-v-naomi-osaka-1913613

"02:18 IST: Advantage Naomi Osaka! She makes a brilliant serve, holds on to her nerve as Serena Williams make an unforced error to hand her counter-part a 5-1 lead."

The full emotional impact of Serena Williams built on the entire match.
Without looking @ the full picture we are all missing the point.
The biggest loser was Serena here in this entire saga, from the beginning of the match to the culmination @ the end. It wasn't her day, and she made everyone else day's miserable.

The true tragedy? She fully robbed Naomi Osaka her true celebration.

The partisans of Serena Williams are blindfolded here. Give her her fair due the same as you did over her full career. Nothing can take away from her everything she accomplished, including her emotional breakdown here.

Check carefully the entire game; it helps in making a fair assessment.
And don't forget the tremendous partisanship full steam dedicated to Serena Williams on her way to her 24th Grand Slam. The will power of this desire was palpable as the fervor, high fever when the audience is rallying behind their favorite boxer in the ring...Cassius Clay...Muhammad Ali.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

You are just like Serena. Changing the subject to take the heat off when losing and telling lies.

Serena got the warning for coaching when she was up 1-0 in the 2nd set and was down 40-15 in Osaka's first service game After of course she was thrashed in the 1st set and on course for an easy loss. Completely different to what you are trying to imply.

Serena's coach, coaching her was extremely obvious amd even Serena said looked like coaching, but was not cheating . She clearly saw and took note of her coaches instructions.

In this match, the camera would go to Asaka's coach frequently- he just sat there nodding his head every now and then. Not waving his arms back n forth telling his pupil to come to the net.

But, all of this is not Serena's fault. Ramous sat in the chair copping Serena's abuse until he called him a cheat - under tennis rules he had no choice but to issue her an infraction.

A disgrace. Serena should look at the way Osaka has behaved with humility and grace during and after and learn from this 20 year old.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
That's not how the scoring system of tennis works. For the women, it's the person that wins two sets out of three sets, Serena was well behind. Of her 23 Grand Slam wins, one 2 have been after losing the first set. She was in trouble.

Please. I have been watching tennis for over 40 years. I know how the game and scoring work.

She was ahead 3-1 in the 2nd set with the momentum. Yes, she was behind a set but she was far from out of it. Frankly, she hurt herself with her outbursts.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
You are just like Serena. Changing the subject to take the heat off when losing and telling lies.

Serena got the warning for coaching when she was up 1-0 in the 2nd set and was down 40-15 in Osaka's first service game After of course she was thrashed in the 1st set and on course for an easy loss. Completely different to what you are trying to imply.

Serena's coach, coaching her was extremely obvious amd even Serena said looked like coaching, but was not cheating . She clearly saw and took note of her coaches instructions.

In this match, the camera would go to Asaka's coach frequently- he just sat there nodding his head every now and then. Not waving his arms back n forth telling his pupil to come to the net.

But, all of this is not Serena's fault. Ramous sat in the chair copping Serena's abuse until he called him a cheat - under tennis rules he had no choice but to issue her an infraction.

A disgrace. Serena should look at the way Osaka has behaved with humility and grace during and after and learn from this 20 year old.

Now your comments are getting personal by calling me a liar. I am done with you.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Please. I have been watching tennis for over 40 years. I know how the game and scoring work.

She was ahead 3-1 in the 2nd set with the momentum. Yes, she was behind a set but she was far from out of it. Frankly, she hurt herself with her outbursts.

Nope. Watch it again.

-Osaka is on serve 0-1, 40-15 when the coaching violation was given. Serena was down in the game, that's why she was looking for help from her coach.
-Osaka holds for 1-1 and then Serena holds for 2-1
-At the change over Serena lays into the ref
-Serena then breaks Osaka and goes up 3-1
-Osaka immediately breaks back for 3-2 and Serena breaks her racket
-Osaka is unphased by Serena's antics and holds serve for 3-3
-Osaka then breaks Serena's serve and goes up 4-3
-At the 4-3 change over, Serena loses her **** again and then gets fined a game

So at no time was Serena fundamentally ahead of Osaka. She was behind on Osaka's service game when she was coached and broke her racket when she lost her serve. It's all very clear, she was losing.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
But....he didn't call you a liar and a thief :)

I appreciate your passion and obviously your choice in tonearms. We'll all have to agree to disagree here.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I didn't see the match but this was a superb article

Ked, you have to take into account the source of the article you cite. Vox is a very liberal/left leaning publication that loves to make many episodes like this one a case of identity politics and obvious racism. In fact, the referee Carlos Ramos is a known stickler for rules and has ruled harshly on a wide number of other tennis players in major tournaments. A more balanced assessment can be found here:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...s-serena-williams-penalty-us-open/1263930002/

(BTW, USA Today is hardly known for being a conservative publication!)

What impressed me the most about Serena, who not only that she admitted she acted somewhat inappropriately with the ref, but her absolute class when she quieted the crowd so Osaka could receive her award to cheers rather than boos. That, and the fact she was playing for a major championship 6 months after having a baby!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Correction:

Williams’ meltdown | How the drama unfolded

? Serena Williams is given a code violation warning for coaching with the score at 2-6, 1-0, which she fiercely disputes. “I don’t cheat to win, I’d rather lose,” she tells umpire Carlos Ramos.

? After being broken by her opponent Naomi Osaka to make the score 2-6, 3-2, Williams is given a code violation for smashing her racket in frustration. Coupled with the earlier warning, this brings about a point penalty.

? In response Williams says: “Every time I play here, I have problems. I did not have coaching, I don’t cheat. You need to make an announcement. I have a daughter and I stand for what’s right. You owe me an apology.”

? At the next change of ends at 2-6, 3-4 Williams unleashes a volley of abuse, saying: “For you to attack my character is wrong. You owe me an apology. You will never be on a court with me as long as you live. You are the liar. You owe me an apology. Say it. Say you’re sorry. How dare you insinuate that I was cheating? You stole a point from me. You’re a thief too.”

? Williams is given a game penalty for verbal abuse, making the score 2-6, 3-5. She demands referee Brian Earley come on to the court.

? She says to Earley: “You know my character. This is not right. To lose a game for saying that, it’s not fair. How many other men do things? There’s a lot of men out here who have said a lot of things. It’s because I am a woman, and that’s not right.”

? Osaka holds her nerve to win 6-2, 6-4 for her first major title.

? Williams refuses to shake Ramos’ hand and demands an apology.

_____

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/...vs-naomi-osaka-us-open-2018-final-live-score/

• 10:01pm - "Williams 2-6, 1-0 Osaka* (*next server)
Osaka looked completely immune to Williams' attempts intimidation in that first set. She even smiled knowingly after Serena's first roar.

Williams really needs a good start to the second set here, and she gets it when a strong serve out wide secures a comfortable hold to 15.

• 10:06pm - Williams* 2-6, 1-1 Osaka (*next server)
Have we just witnessed a major turning point here? Osaka looks to be cruising to a hold at 40-15 when Williams is given a warning for coaching. She is absolutely raging and marches to the chair umpire Carlos Ramos to tell him: "I don't cheat to win, I'd rather lose."

A fired-up Williams wins the next point with a backhand winner, before Osaka steadies herself to win the game with a service winner. But maybe that will get Williams going out here. She looks seriously pumped up.

Incidentally, how's this for a stat?"

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Now your comments are getting personal by calling me a liar. I am done with you.

LOL. good idea, quit while you are behind. :)

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I’m glad that neither my wife nor I has the slightest interest in watching sweaty people run around chasing a ball.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing