The Time Has Come .....I've gone solar

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
That is a very interesting question. All 3 of the states you mentioned pull much of their water from the Colorado River and there hasn't been enough rain of late feeding the watershed. We drove to Lake Tahoe via Las Vegas last year and their is a white ring around Lake Mead near Hoover Dam indicating its previous, much higher water level. Now it is at or near its historic low.

Seeing that ring really brings the water issue home - it is a visible reality.

And further proof of how, mainly CA, is destroying the CO river ecosystem, its tributaries and delta.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Or driving by the Salton Sea and watching it disappear

Owens Lake has been gone for years and is now the biggest cause of dust pollution in the USA.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
As an aside WLVCA your solar set up is the largest residential one I’ve ever heard of. Does it allow you to run the AC all the time and still make enough electricity from your grid

Yes, in 3 of 4 years we've gotten a small amount of money credited from Tucson Electric for excess power generated, around $100.00. Last year was very hot here so we ended up paying about $50.00 in one month to the utility because we didn't generate quite enough solar electricity.

Most of the power goes to two air conditioning systems that run around the clock for 5+ months every year plus the pool and pond.

The house was built in 2002 and the original HVAC is still running so not the most efficient by today's standards.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Owens Lake has been gone for years and is now the biggest cause of dust pollution in the USA.

It was dry for many years as the water from the eastern slope of the mountains was diverted to Southern California, creating an environmental disaster. Since 2001 the LA Department of Water and Power was forced to begin restoring water to the lake and it has improved significantly though still not to its original condition.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-owens-lake-birds-20180425-story.html

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I think it important to note that IF you are putting solar on your roof, you should try and budget enough panels for an over abundance of production...and therefore almost always be supplying more than you use. Your expected usage is calculated at the time of the sale by the solar contractor. I had enough panels placed on my roof to supply all of my current needs, plus enough so that IF i wanted to add a EV in the future, it would cover that event as well- and still allow for an excess in production. Even though I do not have an EV at this time. While it isn't usually too hard to add panels in the future, I think it is more economical to have more panels than you need to start with...within reason of course.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I think it important to note that IF you are putting solar on your roof, you should try and budget enough panels for an over abundance of production...and therefore almost always be supplying more than you use. Your expected usage is calculated at the time of the sale by the solar contractor. I had enough panels placed on my roof to supply all of my current needs, plus enough so that IF i wanted to add a EV in the future, it would cover that event as well- and still allow for an excess in production. Even though I do not have an EV at this time. While it isn't usually too hard to add panels in the future, I think it is more economical to have more panels than you need to start with...within reason of course.

I did exactly the same

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
$0.24 is a bargain. If you are using electricity and are in Tier 3 (between 4:00-9:00 Mon to Fridays) the cost is $0.45

My consumption is as you stated 14,452 KWH however my first year production will be over 19,000 KWH

Just to get the full sunny picture :), how much do you get paid for each kWh you inject back in the system?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith

Please don't lecture me as to how to conserve energy as you did with your recommended changes to my stereo system rather than what I did because after a while it becomes boring and somewhat passive aggressive

I'm not lecturing and there was no personal intent on any of my comments (and you tried to sell me your speakers, don't forget).

I'm just saying energy costs aren't rising 4-6 cents per kWH annually - this is 100% false. You either a) have your terminology wrong or b) have been told incorrectly.

Stepping out of this thread- good luck with your solar project.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
It was dry for many years as the water from the eastern slope of the mountains was diverted to Southern California, creating an environmental disaster. Since 2001 the LA Department of Water and Power was forced to begin restoring water to the lake and it has improved significantly though still not to its original condition.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-owens-lake-birds-20180425-story.html

Yes I am well aware of their restoration plans but I will believe their hoped for and claimed results when it (doubt it ever will) happens. They are likewise trying to restore some of the Colorado River delta and have turned that into a mess as a result of their well intended plans. They don't and never will get the law of unintended consequences. It is time for CA to get some legitimate water management policy without all the in-fighting among the various different groups, whether it be political, economical and worse yet, geographical all of whom have disparate needs and views.

Not that where I live, in S. FL do they have a realistic water management short term and long term view and plan. In Dade and Broward, all the politicians wants to blame GW when 99.9% of the problems has nothing to do with GW, CO2 or other greenhouse gases but their own moronic building codes/allowances, lack of appropriate drainage, concrete preventing refilling of the water table, destroying the Everglades in the process issues and using the land fill portion of barrier islands for purposes it was never intended and trying to play catch up which has been an environmental and ecological nightmare. The current red tide issues along the west coast is and will continue to be catastrophic, much of which is caused by the issues I raise.

In CA the "solution" is much more difficult but because of the magnitude and cost, it has led to ineptitude and excuses of doing nothing. Here in S. FL we have issues of a different kind that has people paralyzed. In the end, these are the kinds of low hanging fruit I referred to that can be fixed relatively easily, lead to a more healthy environment right now but instead it is easier to blame GW for dumb decisions and ineptitude.

Steve Williams

Keith

as to the 4-6cents per year rise you are correct and I was wrong. I must have been brain dead. My intent was to say a 4-6 "per" cent annual increase in electric costs. Nonetheless we remain under the control of the highest in the nation

I'm not lecturing and there was no personal intent on any of my comments (and you tried to sell me your speakers, don't forget).

I'm just saying energy costs aren't rising 4-6 cents per kWH annually - this is 100% false. You either a) have your terminology wrong or b) have been told incorrectly.

Stepping out of this thread- good luck with your solar project.

FWIW I posted this earlier.

You were absolutely correct.I should have said 4-6 per cent rise per year.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Steve, maybe I missed it, but is your system up yet....if not, when is your install? This is the perfect time of year to do it, as we get further towards winter, the days get a bit shorter, so you won’t be making quite as much power, OTOH...you probably won’t be running the AC quite as much either.:D

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
If I lived where there weren't trees and woods, I would consider solar, but I live in a wooded area and there is no way I would cut down any trees so I could use solar.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
If I lived where there weren't trees and woods, I would consider solar, but I live in a wooded area and there is no way I would cut down any trees so I could use solar.

I totally agree with this.

But remember, the solar arrays can be mounted in any number of different locations...they do not need to be on one’s roof. Therefore, any clearing that is large enough to support the arrays will be sufficient. The overriding question is whether your area receives enough sun throughout the year.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I totally agree with this.

But remember, the solar arrays can be mounted in any number of different locations...they do not need to be on one’s roof. Therefore, any clearing that is large enough to support the arrays will be sufficient. The overriding question is whether your area receives enough sun throughout the year.

I have 60-90 foot tall trees all over my property. There is simply no place solar panels can go to get enough sunlight morning to night, especially when you consider how long the shadows are from the autumnal to vernal equinoxes. The mid-day sun would be all I could get.

Steve Williams

I learned another interesting fact yesterday from my Solar Company

I was asking them about the production of electricity by my system and whether I should consider a battery should I purchase an EV

Once again I was told that batteries remain expensive and in their opinion was still not ready for prime time

They recommended something totally different. My system will have 30 of the 360 watt panels and based on my use I should be fine for an EV BUT what they advise their clients to do is to have your electrical company insert a second dedicated meter whose sole use would be for charging an EV which they recommended to be done in super off peak times (between midnight and 0600). They told me that almost all electric companies offer super low rates for super off peak charging of an EV and the second meter would determine that cost per month. They strongly encourage against the use of batteries at the present time

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

I was asking them about the production of electricity by my system and whether I should consider a battery should I purchase an EV

Once again I was told that batteries remain expensive and in their opinion was still not ready for prime time

They recommended something totally different. My system will have 30 of the 360 watt panels and based on my use I should be fine for an EV BUT what they advise their clients to do is to have your electrical company insert a second dedicated meter whose sole use would be for charging an EV which they recommended to be done in super off peak times (between midnight and 0600). They told me that almost all electric companies offer super low rates for super off peak charging of an EV and the second meter would determine that cost per month. They strongly encourage against the use of batteries at the present time

Interesting, but i'm not sure why you would do that. The charge is going to be available to you when you receive your billing from SDG&E. Even with just one meter, you can still see which way the meter is running...either you are supplying to the grid..or taking from it. Late at night is the way to charge the vehicle (12-6)...but in order to accomplish this from a very low state battery you would need a 220 amp connection. Is the additional meter at your expense, or the utility companies? ( for the install and maintenance)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have 60-90 foot tall trees all over my property. There is simply no place solar panels can go to get enough sunlight morning to night, especially when you consider how long the shadows are from the autumnal to vernal equinoxes. The mid-day sun would be all I could get.

Gary, seems like you are NOT a candidate for solar. Many folks are not.

Steve Williams

Interesting, but i'm not sure why you would do that. The charge is going to be available to you when you receive your billing from SDG&E. Even with just one meter, you can still see which way the meter is running...either you are supplying to the grid..or taking from it. Late at night is the way to charge the vehicle (12-6)...but in order to accomplish this from a very low state battery you would need a 220 amp connection. Is the additional meter at your expense, or the utility companies? ( for the install and maintenance)

I understand Davey..
they recommended the dedicated meter on the 220 line to be used only for super off peak charging of the EV. I don't know about the cost of the meter but I would assume the user would incur the cost

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

People owning air bearing turntables should get Flywheel energy storage https://www.elp.com/articles/2016/01/amber-kinetics-signs-flywheel-energy-storage-contract-with-pg-e.html. Perhaps they could use their turntable compressors to feed the bearing of the flywheel! :D

Attachments

• a1.png
    a1.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 52

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing