The Rolling Stones - Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
ABKCO 9 001 1

I bought this about 2 years ago and played it a few times, but it's been collecting dust ever since. This morning I decided to cue it up and now I remember why it's not getting any love from me. It's CRAP! This pressing is completely devoid of any life, emotion, involvement. It hits me like fingernails on a blackboard.

I, for one, am not impressed with this analog-to-digital transfer (DSD and Direct SBM) and mastered by Bob Ludwig/Gateway mastering. I think I will avoid any future LP's I see that have DSD and Direct SBM indicated.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
ABKCO 9 001 1

I bought this about 2 years ago and played it a few times, but it's been collecting dust ever since. This morning I decided to cue it up and now I remember why it's not getting any love from me. It's CRAP! This pressing is completely devoid of any life, emotion, involvement. It hits me like fingernails on a blackboard.

I, for one, am not impressed with this analog-to-digital transfer (DSD and Direct SBM) and mastered by Bob Ludwig/Gateway mastering. I think I will avoid any future LP's I see that have DSD and Direct SBM indicated.

What you are hearing has nothing to do with DSD. The SACD sounds amazing. Gritty, involving, great texture.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What you are hearing has nothing to do with DSD. The SACD sounds amazing. Gritty, involving, great texture.

OK...I'm not knowledgeable enough to disagree, but something went wrong. Have you heard the LP?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
OK...I'm not knowledgeable enough to disagree, but something went wrong. Have you heard the LP?

No. I have digital front ends..SACD...server etc. I was simply commenting on the SACD. The LP was sourced from the same
mastering that Bob Ludwig did on the DSD transfers from the analog tape (he did not do the DSD archiving). From there hybrid SACDs were produced.

Bruce B did PCM conversions of all the Stones SACDs for HDtracks..so maybe he can give a second opinion on the SACD.

I only GUESS the LP was a fast buck job.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No. I have digital front ends..SACD...server etc. I was simply commenting on the SACD. The LP was sourced from the same
mastering that Bob Ludwig did on the DSD transfers from the analog tape (he did not do the DSD archiving). From there hybrid SACDs were produced.

Bruce B did PCM conversions of all the Stones SACDs for HDtracks..so maybe he can give a second opinion on the SACD.

I only GUESS the LP was a fast buck job.

Maybe so......too bad.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Maybe so......too bad.

Sometimes you pay a price for being a format loyalist. And I mean any format.

If you heard the recent Deluxe Edition remastered CD/download of Some Girls you would throw up.
Zero dynamic range, compressed beyond recognition, and pure dreck.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sometimes you pay a price for being a format loyalist. And I mean any format.

If you heard the recent Deluxe Edition remastered CD/download of Some Girls you would throw up.
Zero dynamic range, compressed beyond recognition, and pure dreck.

True enough and I should broaden my horizon in that regard.:eek:

Good thing most of my original Stones pressings are in good shape.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
True enough and I should broaden my horizon in that regard.:eek:

Good thing most of my original Stones pressings are in good shape.

You are doing fine. I always say, if your set up allows, purchase a particular title in the
format it sounds the best in, and where the best source was used, and the most
do no harm mastering was applied. . If it is an SACD fine, CD, great, LP..fantastic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing