The Puritan PSM156

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Different power conditioners serve different functions. You have to know your electrical issues to choose power conditioners accordingly. If you have DC offset issues, I don’t see how Torus can help. If you have voltage stability issues, I don’t see how Shunyata can help. Regarding someone say Puritans have pumped back so much noises back to the main. I do not find this is the case. I have a sub panel serving 6 dedicated lines in my Hifi room. I use a Puritan in one of the dedicated lines. I measured the noises on the other 5 dedicated lines. I do not see any increase in noises in other 5 dedicated lines. YMMV. But I agree Puritan is very good value.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I would also add that plugging power amps into power conditioners resulting in the collapse of dynamics can be due to power conditioners alter the phase angle between voltage and current for worse. Plugging power amps into power factor correction power conditioners may prove beneficial as these power conditioners will reduce the phase angle between voltage and current.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
The OP asked for a comparison? Right. How much is a Shunyata. A whole lot more than a Torus. An Everest is $9000. I don't know the price of a Denali, but its a lot more than the RM20.

I was basically saying that a Puritan is decent. But there is better out there.
Sorry but you cannot compare Torus RM20 to Puritan. Torus is a great product but it is an isolation Transformer, Puritan is used as for mains purifier (as I use it connected to an isolation transformer).

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Sorry but you cannot compare Torus RM20 to Puritan. Torus is a great product but it is an isolation Transformer, Puritan is used as for mains purifier (as I use it connected to an isolation transformer).
Thats egregiously false on many levels. Show me a recording studion with a Puritan filtering the power to the board and recording equipment. There are over 200 such studio that use an isolation transformer to do that work.
Installing a 30A receptacle to an existing system would most likely be illegal and fail the UK safety requirements. To do it legally you would have to upgrade the cable from the consumer unit. In any event it would have to be done and certified by a qualified electrician.
I never advocate anything not be done by local code.

The most important upgrade you can do for any audio system is open your walls and rework the branch circuits from the panel/consumer unit to your rack. That alone far exceeds any gain you get from a filter. Reworking the branch circuits is 101 foundational work that should be a part of any serious audio system. If anyone wants to say thats not true then they are trolling the thread.

If you have to, or choose to invest in audio on a budget, feed your Puritan a hobbled electrical supply. It will work. It won't work to its full potential. But it will work.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Thats egregiously false on many levels. Show me a recording studion with a Puritan filtering the power to the board and recording equipment. There are over 200 such studio that use an isolation transformer to do that work.
Dear kingrex, I agree with you. I use an Isolation Transformer for my system, not insanely priced like Torus, but built by a manufacturer of medical high-grade isolation transformers to whom I gave my specs. I added the Puritan PM 156 to the output of the Isolation transformer. You can try it yourself.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
On a slight tangent … I have just acquired a few 100% pure copper grounding spikes and a Puritan ground master with which I plan to initially ground the PM 156 and then set up chassis ground directly to the disparate electronics … http://www.puritanaudiolabs.com/products/ground-master/
I'm gonna go on a limb and say universally across the globe, setting a ground rod in the yard that is not solidly bonded to the grounding electrode system on the premise is not code compliant.

I tried the Routemaster and Citymaster. I returned them. I don't understand where ground boxes shine yet. I know people with good power supplies to their rack and others with residential wiring to their rack and some say ground boxes are great. And others say they do little to nothing. My high level observation is the systems that get the most benefit from ground boxes use multiple ground boxes.

The potential legal way to use the Puritan ground master is to run a unbroken grounding electrode from the existing earth grounds in your yard to the new earth ground you bought. You can attach a ground wire from a ground bar on your wall that those supplemental grounding electrodes now. My guess is multiple individual groundmasters with a single cable to each piece of equipment will perform at a higher level than one Routemaster tied to a single Ground Master.

If you want to wag a flag around about the PM156 isolating equipment, put your continuity tester in the routemaster. You will see you have now solidly tied all the signal and/or chassis of your audio equipment together so they can share each others noise. I just don't get ground boxes. It does not make sense that a big parallel ground loop improves noise levels. But many prople say they work.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Dear kingrex, I agree with you. I use an Isolation Transformer for my system, not insanely priced like Torus, but built by a manufacturer of medical high-grade isolation transformers to whom I gave my specs. I added the Puritan PM 156 to the output of the Isolation transformer. You can try it yourself.
What is your perceptions? Do you plug anything directly into the circuits from the isolation transformer. Do you keep everything feed from the 156 plugged into the isolation transformer?
What do you hear when you compare the 156 feed by either regular wall power or power via the isolation transformer.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
What is your perceptions? Do you plug anything directly into the circuits from the isolation transformer. Do you keep everything feed from the 156 plugged into the isolation transformer?
What do you hear when you compare the 156 feed by either regular wall power or power via the isolation transformer.
I use the output of the Isolation Transformer feed the Puritan via an Elrod PC. All the electronics are feed via the Puritan.
I didn't tried to plug only the Puritan on my system. I added the Puritan to a configuration where the Isolation Transformer was already installed. Adding the Puritan it gave me an increase in the definition and naturalness of the sound. I'm not talking about huge improvements, but certainly evident and noticeable. Different however in the system of a friend of mine who does not have an isolating transformer, where the improvements were much more noticeable.

Reactions: Sunra

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I use the output of the Isolation Transformer feed the Puritan via an Elrod PC. All the electronics are feed via the Puritan.
I didn't tried to plug only the Puritan on my system. I added the Puritan to a configuration where the Isolation Transformer was already installed. Adding the Puritan it gave me an increase in the definition and naturalness of the sound. I'm not talking about huge improvements, but certainly evident and noticeable. Different however in the system of a friend of mine who does not have an isolating transformer, where the improvements were much more noticeable.
Makes sense. I am not saying a Puritan is not a good product. OCD Mikey said he sold 200 or so. I see it priced as $2400. I would purchase it over a Denali.

You need a filter in your system. If you have a nice 150 watt or less integrated and some front end gear, by all means, get the PM156. You are very likely to enjoy it all around. Ground boxes are really hit and miss. Thats another $1000 for the routemaster/groundmaster. Your probably better off getting better fuses like the $100 HiFi Supreme Copper or Wilmer.

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
If you have a nice 150 watt or less integrated and some front end gear, by all means, get the PM156.
I have a nice 150 watt or less integrated and some front end gear and a PM156. Thanks for the permission.

The chances of me spending more than $0.50 on a fuse is somewhere between zero and nothing, possibly less.

Reactions: adyc

Long Live Analog

Aug 8, 2022
West Tn. Mid South
Makes sense. I am not saying a Puritan is not a good product. OCD Mikey said he sold 200 or so. I see it priced as $2400. I would purchase it over a Denali.

You need a filter in your system. If you have a nice 150 watt or less integrated and some front end gear, by all means, get the PM156. You are very likely to enjoy it all around. Ground boxes are really hit and miss. Thats another $1000 for the routemaster/groundmaster. Your probably better off getting better fuses like the $100 HiFi Supreme Copper or Wilmer.
What about a 250 watt integrated and front end gear ? Puritan or other recommendations ?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I'm gonna go on a limb and say universally across the globe, setting a ground rod in the yard that is not solidly bonded to the grounding electrode system on the premise is not code compliant.

I tried the Routemaster and Citymaster. I returned them.
Well … All that I can be bothered to write at this point being that you appear to have zero knowledge of the design goals or implimentation of this product ! The Puritan system in no way interacts with or negates the mains safety to ground as installed in ones domicile by ones electricity utility provider , In the UK Or anywhere else on the planet as far as I can discern, contrary to your scaremongering.

Curiously another UK manufacturer , who produces the same equipment in design principle , provides a somewhat more digestible document than Puritan , which may assist in your education.

Reactions: ssfas

Republicoftexas69

Well … All that I can be bothered to write at this point being that you appear to have zero knowledge of the design goals or implimentation of this product ! The Puritan system in no way interacts with or negates the mains safety to ground as installed in ones domicile by ones electricity utility provider , In the UK Or anywhere else on the planet as far as I can discern, contrary to your scaremongering.

Curiously another UK manufacturer , who produces the same equipment in design principle , provides a somewhat more digestible document than Puritan , which may assist in your education.

So do you peddle the Puritan products in the UK? Not that a care, lots of good information aside from the snark and sniping.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Republicoftexas69

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Gentlemen, please....can we lighten the tone of posts between one another?

Tom

Reactions: Pokey77

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia

In the UK the attaching the Groundmaster to an earth rod is not a standard installation, there is a warning in the documentation, and personally I wouldn't do it. That's why the City is provided as an option to connect to earth/neutral via a plug socket.

I has a Modright phono amp on home loan and it turned out it had a grounding design fault. I sent it back. The dealer said they were able to fix it with a Route Master, even though the product had to be modified to fix the problem. The grounding products work.

Republicoftexas69

Oh how weak Cindyment , or is it SkyPunk ? or is it https://forum.audiogon.com/users/earlflynn/posts … How many sock puppet accounts did you have running there 20 + at the last count before you bailed over here ! … I have you down for at least 5+ VPN accounts here ;)
I have only ever had one account . I use a VPN for work and I am none of the people you claim. :rolleyes: :eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Republicoftexas69

The OP asked for a comparison? Right. How much is a Shunyata. A whole lot more than a Torus. An Everest is $9000. I don't know the price of a Denali, but its a lot more than the RM20.

I was basically saying that a Puritan is decent. But there is better out there.
Certainly do value the experiences of an industry insider that seems to be well qualified to make these assertions and did not denigrate the other products mentioned, only pointed out the differences.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing