the Durand Record Weight; love it!

Loheswaran

Dec 20, 2014
it's about context. if you have pushed the envelope of vinyl performance to a certain place, then small steps are valuable. if not, then no way to relate the value of taking exceptional vinyl performance a little further. and i'm not claiming any universal benefit beyond my gear and system, although i would expect the Durand Record Weight to be effective in most non-vacuum hold-down set-ups, i'm simply guessing about that.

i'm assuming you have read my comments. if so, they do explain my perceptions of the benefit i percieved.

besides that, i'm not exactly sure what you are asking.....with all due respect, of course.
Whilst I have previously been skeptical and guffawed at such components in my system context - I see Mikes point. It's not a case of saying get yourself a Sony USB for $50usd and putting a Durand weight (extreme example)

whereas as a final flourish or as an enhancer it might just be the missing piece

twintech

Dec 27, 2019
I love my Durand record weight. been using it for 4-5 years now. it simply 'loads' the record, even warped records, and allows the life to come through, but removes the distortion from resonance. it's about the balance of things. I did try some other record weights, and record mats, and a screw down clamp......preferred a naked platter and the Durand.

I had a Rockport Sirius III with vacuum holddown, and I prefer the record weight and the composite platter of my NVS tt. can't say that the Durand record weight is equally good on all platters as I would expect the platter material might effect the musical equation with a record weight......or not. I've heard it used on a number of other turntables to good effect.

I've not seen any variance of effectiveness of the Durand with different weight pressings. but that does not mean there might not be......I've just never seen a recognizable relationship that way.

oh, and btw, I started this thread in April of 2013. so this has been a long term solution for me I still prefer to other choices I've heard.
Hi Mike, I am in the throws of trying to purchase one of these lovely record weights but...I can't seem to get a clear answer on the depth of the spindle hole? I am using a Kuzma Stabi M turntable and it has quite a tall spindle as similar to say a VPI Classic, approx 1" inch tall. Any help would be fantastic...

Kind regards,
Lynford.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike, I am in the throws of trying to purchase one of these lovely record weights but...I can't seem to get a clear answer on the depth of the spindle hole? I am using a Kuzma Stabi M turntable and it has quite a tall spindle as similar to say a VPI Classic, approx 1" inch tall. Any help would be fantastic...

Kind regards,
Lynford.
be glad to measure it tonight. but i've tried it on my Saskia model two idler that has a tall spindle and it worked.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing