The best Dipoles, Dipoles that can do bass?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
The diva is only 12k euro from Henk.. full range is 18. Additionally you could add other caps etc and cost will go up a bit more. His grands are what you are looking for the price you will have to negotiate it will be much higher as almost no grands available and his is extremely awesome
That sort of purchase will be much easier if i do relocate to mainland Europe

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Does that also apply to the 9's?
Which would just leave Henk's amp-hungry Grands, i guess?
Ked goes quiet when i ask him to remind me how many stereo power amps required, iirc three?
So nine years' saving just for the power amps. Gulp

Sorry I thought I told you. You need to biamp so two. The woofer below 40 Hz is self powered but you can always check if you can add another amp to it.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Well, at the opposite frequency extreme it is common to have headroom far in excess of what science tells us are the highest audible frequencies.

So why would one cut off clearly distinguishable information at the bottom end ?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Well, at the opposite frequency extreme it is common to have headroom far in excess of what science tells us are the highest audible frequencies.

So why would one cut off clearly distinguishable information at the bottom end ?
Room issues for one...not a problem really with ultrasonic frequencies but a big issue with infrasonic frequencies.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
So because it is a challenge to get right, we will just pretend those frequencies aren't a part of a recording?
This may have been acceptable in the past to those who listen to jazz, acoustic or classical music, but would be a non-starter for today's urban yoot.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
So because it is a challenge to get right, we will just pretend those frequencies aren't a part of a recording?
This may have been acceptable in the past to those who listen to jazz, acoustic or classical music, but would be a non-starter for today's urban yoot.
Also fine for rock not to have below say 30hz. Bass guitar lowest note is around 40hz. Only organ and subterranean electro music needs it. I would argue electro stuff sounds just fine with bass to 30. If I want to be massaged I would just go to a club...way better for that music than at home.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I reckon 20 is worth having if you don't listen to vinyl. It pushes high excursion LF bass drivers all over the place. It's a mess. You need an LF filter.

Below that some recordings contain some strange crap. They can't hear that in the studios.

BTW inf. baf. Duettas won't reach club levels but they will play loud enough to give you tinnitus the next day. Not terrible, then;)

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Also fine for rock not to have below say 30hz. Bass guitar lowest note is around 40hz. Only organ and subterranean electro music needs it. I would argue electro stuff sounds just fine with bass to 30. If I want to be massaged I would just go to a club...way better for that music than at home.
We're from different cultures

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
My intention is to keep what i have and add space, ambience, three dimensionality....but not at the expense of sub bass

The Stellas seem effortless in my room...

So that's been the dilemma, dipole immersion v complete control of every frequency inside the room inna Focal style.

Unfortunately for this thread, a 2160 purchase will put me
out of the upgrade game for about three years.
So my quest for a dipole will go on hold for the time being.

So if I understand correctly, you still have the Stellas... ?

And the Stellas + your four big Velodyne subs easily have all the dynamic capability and low-end extension you need, BUT you'd like to ALSO have the added space, ambience, three dimensionality, and immersion that a good set of dipoles provides. And you are not in the market for expensive new speakers at this time.

Is that about right?

I'm on the wrong side of the pond anyway, but I DO share your appreciation for dynamics AND envelopment.

Incidentally one of my daughters used to compose electronica, so I think I get where you're coming from, as far as the listening experience being visceral as well as auditory. I happen to be a long-time SoundLab dealer, and in my opinion neither big SoundLabs (nor big Apogees nor big Maggies, ime) are likely to deliver the sheer intensity you're looking for. What they do well they do very well, BUT night-club-intensity isn't their thing.

I have a question about your setup, if you don't mind. This is just for my own education about what works well for someone with priorities similar to yours, so that I have an idea of what to expect should the situation arise with one of my customers: Are the Stellas getting the full-range signal, including all of the sub-bass, OR are you rolling off their bottom end, either to protect them or for blending with the Velodynes?

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I happen to be a long-time SoundLab dealer, and in my opinion neither big SoundLabs (nor big Apogees nor big Maggies, ime) are likely to deliver the sheer intensity you're looking for. What they do well they do very well, BUT night-club-intensity isn't their thing.
I wonder the same thing.
Why Dipoles for Club Sound Level and earth shattering lowest sub bass purposes??
This is definitely NOT their strong suit.
Like going to a tractor pulling with a race car :rolleyes:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The flip side Christoph is if you like dance/club/electronic music Apogees are outstanding at it. IMHO it's their best genre. The speed on transients is outstanding. Within reduced volume constraints. But they will play at OK levels.

I speak as someone who has been to many live gigs, night and dance clubs over a few decades.

The truth is the only way to achieve the immense scale of club and live gigs is to use similar gear. And that just isn't practical at home.

A speaker I really like that is quite modest is the JBL 4367. It will play fairly loud and it will do drum and bass, electronic and hip hop etc proud. Dipole? Nope. But great for the genres just mentioned. Or Bohne top of the line for 18 inch JBL bass drivers plus their subs. Even better. Will piss my Duettas into the wind for scale and volume capability.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

It's a pleasure to have you aboard Duke.
Thank you for your questions and please forgive my tardy response, I will give your post the considered reply it merits this evening when i have some time?
Much obliged
gavin

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Or Bohne top of the line for 18 inch JBL bass drivers plus their subs. Even better. Will piss my Duettas into the wind for scale and volume capability.

Why one, you can go with two 18 inch woofers, high sensitive, in a front loaded horn. It will do similar planar style bass, the whole vertical plane thing with way more power and sensitivity and tone.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
It's a pleasure to have you aboard Duke.
Thank you for your questions and please forgive my tardy response, I will give your post the considered reply it merits this evening when i have some time?

Thanks for the welcome!

I probably should have joined in earlier (and did post about the SoundLab "Sallies" in post number 491), but I was seeing the word "dipole" and failing to focus on the actual set of results you were looking for.

By the way once upon a time I was on my way to becoming a Boulder dealer. That got derailed by a series of events which culminated in my complete crossing-over to the dark side (I became a manufacturer), but I learned enough about how they do things to come away with an even higher opinion of their technical side than just what my ears had indicated.

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Why one, you can go with two 18 inch woofers, high sensitive, in a front loaded horn. It will do similar planar style bass, the whole vertical plane thing with way more power and sensitivity and tone.
I'm just citing a commercial example.

Go to a good dance club in Ibiza, Ked. Forget hi-fi;)

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Two subs is always better than one.
The Bohne system at Munich had two 18 inch subs.

Some say you can't hear below 20 Hz and low bass isn't directional. But you can hear the effect low bass has on your room. So one sub in a corner sounds imbalanced. Been there, done that.

If you sub kicks in at 45Hz, you 100% know where it is.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing