The best amps ever made!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I wonder who HE stole the secrets from. LOL!

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Nice! Looks like someone stuck an old plate amp into a fancy homemade box. Looking for a sucker for sure.:p

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Actually Essence/Dale Pitcher has been around for a very long time. "Reportedly" he was involved in the design of the first Shunyata Hydra.

Hi Myles,

Not sure who your source was regarding "reportedly" being involved with the original Hydra Design, but that's not accurate if it were reported that way. Dale was involved with the design of the corian/wood-inlay chassis that was used for the original Hydra. They were produced until 2000-01 in the same factory he produced his speakers in. Unfortunately, there was a problem with some of the internal materials (which are now patented), being sold for other purposes without Caelin's knowledge. That was the beginning of our own factory and the end of any association with Mr. Pitcher. Dale did not have anything to do with the original Hydra's concept or design.

I apologize for the thread divergence.

Grant
Shunyata Research

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles,

Not sure who your source was regarding "reportedly" being involved with the original Hydra Design, but that's not accurate if it were reported that way. Dale was involved with the design of the corian/wood-inlay chassis that was used for the original Hydra. They were produced until 2000-01 in the same factory he produced his speakers in. Unfortunately, there was a problem with some of the internal materials (which are now patented), being sold for other purposes without Caelin's knowledge. That was the beginning of our own factory and the end of any association with Mr. Pitcher. Dale did not have anything to do with the original Hydra's concept or design.

I apologize for the thread divergence.

Grant

Shunyata Research

Sorry any misinformation Grant. That's why said reportedly; that info came from the Stereophile web site and kinda surprised me.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Obviously the OP has never heard these amps. I have owned Dale's speakers, amps, cabling, and current generation of power conditioner all of which are SOTA. There is an ad for those same amps on Audiogon from the same gentleman who has sold Dale's stuff in a brick and mortar setting for over 20 years.

His conditioner (theorem suspension bridge) is a monster and will be reviewed in the not too distant future. Obviously Dale does not need Shunyata's intellectual property to develop product. Dale has always spoken very highly of Shunyata and I would expect the same professionalism from them (at least in public).

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
Obviously the OP has never heard these amps. I have owned Dale's speakers, amps, cabling, and current generation of power conditioner all of which are SOTA. There is an ad for those same amps on Audiogon from the same gentleman who has sold Dale's stuff in a brick and mortar setting for over 20 years.

His conditioner (theorem suspension bridge) is a monster and will be reviewed in the not too distant future. Obviously Dale does not need Shunyata's intellectual property to develop product. Dale has always spoken very highly of Shunyata and I would expect the same professionalism from them (at least in public).

Their quality must be attributed in part to "50% of the parts" being "military secrets." Given that, perhaps it was foolhardy for me to make light of the ad.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Their quality must be attributed in part to "50% of the parts" being "military secrets." Given that, perhaps it was foolhardy for me to make light of the ad.

The real question is why were you sleuthing the Quadcity craigslist? The second question would be why you felt inspired to turn it into a thread. More white noise in cyberspace...

I have no knowledge of the secret elements of that amplifier, but I do know there's a significant trickle-down effect of technology from the aerospace and Military industrial complex into audio. Take Bybee filtering for example. Most of the mom-and-pop, artisanal audio companies don't have the R&D and manpower to develop this stuff and thus have a symbiotic relationship with outside sources of technology.

Regarding the Hydra. Dale always told me he worked on the case only. He also stated that Caelin was one of the few true geniuses in audio and held him in very high esteem.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
The real question is why were you sleuthing the Quadcity craigslist? The second question would be why you felt inspired to turn it into a thread. More white noise in cyberspace...

I have no knowledge of the secret elements of that amplifier, but I do know there's a significant trickle-down effect of technology from the aerospace and Military industrial complex into audio. Take Bybee filtering for example. Most of the mom-and-pop, artisanal audio companies don't have the R&D and manpower to develop this stuff and thus have a symbiotic relationship with outside sources of technology.

Regarding the Hydra. Dale always told me he worked on the case only. He also stated that Caelin was one of the few true geniuses in audio and held him in very high esteem.

is there any evidence of this ?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
is there any evidence of this ?

Hell yeah with turntables being a prime example. The sort of machining tolerances in spindle and arm bearings in civilian life was unheard of until the end of Reagan's Star Wars. (Not to mention computer technology to drive these instruments) Then all these companies were forced to find civilian uses for their technologies.

Take air bearing tonearms for example where the materials and machining now allow for tolerances of 1/10,000th of an inch even allowing for materials coefficients of expansion. Or take the precision round out that turntable platters can be machined to. Or the motors used in the VPI and Continuum tables come from military submarine technology. Or the Silent Running Audio bases use technology developed to silence American subs. You can trace the impact even down to the resistors used in many audio components (how about military grade tubes too? :))

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I wasn't.

The ad is humorous.

Nothing to be ashamed off. Its actually amazing what u can find. I have found a lot of incredible vintage gear on the list....

I agree. There is an element of dated hyperbole there. The amusing thing is I actually know who posted it. Duane has been in the industry for 20+ years and is slightly sullen and taciturn midwesterner. He is not one to exaggerate. He is a Princeton grad (music major) and no cream puff. He is a sophisticated listener who I have bought from and trust his judgement.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Hell yeah with turntables being a prime example. The sort of machining tolerances in spindle and arm bearings in civilian life was unheard of until the end of Reagan's Star Wars. (Not to mention computer technology to drive these instruments) Then all these companies were forced to find civilian uses for their technologies.

Take air bearing tonearms for example where the materials and machining now allow for tolerances of 1/10,000th of an inch even allowing for materials coefficients of expansion. Or take the precision round out that turntable platters can be machined to. Or the motors used in the VPI and Continuum tables come from military submarine technology. Or the Silent Running Audio bases use technology developed to silence American subs. You can trace the impact even down to the resistors used in many audio components (how about military grade tubes too? :))

Great post Myles. People have no clue.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

Sorry Miles for my imprecise question (and thanks for your detailed answer btw) but I was referring specifically to bybees.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing