Tesla Model 3 Revealed Tonight

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The Model 3 exterior looks good. The interior looks a bit bazaar to me, but that was just a prototype. Can't imagine a 15" monitor making it into production.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
There are a lot of hidden costs in electric cars, from mining the ores to making the electricity to disposing of the batteries. Lot of argument about their "greenness". That said, it'd be cool to have one... Still need more infrastructure work, but Tesla has an amazing number of quick charge stations given it is essentially self-funding their installation, one company, with a proprietary plug. And their performance is also pretty amazing.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
There are a lot of hidden costs in electric cars, from mining the ores to making the electricity to disposing of the batteries. Lot of argument about their "greenness". That said, it'd be cool to have one... Still need more infrastructure work, but Tesla has an amazing number of quick charge stations given it is essentially self-funding their installation, one company, with a proprietary plug. And their performance is also pretty amazing.

Looks like we have similar feelings. It's hard to refine them to be a good product if you don't make anything until it's perfect!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
The Model 3 exterior looks good. The interior looks a bit bazaar to me, but that was just a prototype. Can't imagine a 15" monitor making it into production.

How did you see the interior? I've only seen the exterior. That said, I'm pretty sure this will be my next car.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
How did you see the interior? I've only seen the exterior. That said, I'm pretty sure this will be my next car.
It is in the announcement press:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It is in the announcement press:

So, a giant flat screen instead of knobs, buttons and switches. I prefer the interior of my old 1971 911T. Simple, basic, clean and open layout with no center ridge between driver and passenger to take up space. I would find that screen quite distracting, both visually and physically, especially in traffic. I'm sure that there are plenty of cup holders though, which my old Porsche surely lacked.

I do like the exterior of the Model 3 very much. And the performance figures extremely impressive. Imagine the rabbit starts as the traffic light turns green. Fun but pretty scary in congested downtowns.

porsche_911_T_1971_interior.JPG

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
So, a giant flat screen instead of knobs, buttons and switches. I prefer the interior of my old 1971 911T. Simple, basic, clean and open layout with no center ridge between driver and passenger to take up space. I would find that screen quite distracting, both visually and physically, especially in traffic. I'm sure that there are plenty of cup holders though, which my old Porsche surely lacked.

I do like the exterior of the Model 3 very much. And the performance figures extremely impressive. Imagine the rabbit starts as the traffic light turns green. Fun but pretty scary in congested downtowns.

View attachment 26426

Peter, I'm with you. The interior of your Porsche looks like a car...the interior of the new Tesla 3 books like a computer game...or something from the comic books. ( which is ok, but it doesn't make me think of a car; if you now what I mean:D).

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, I'm with you. The interior of your Porsche looks like a car...the interior of the new Tesla 3 books like a computer game...or something from the comic books. ( which is ok, but it doesn't make me think of a car; if you now what I mean:D).

DaveyF, Sadly, I no longer own that silver 1971 911T. I could not properly store her indoors for the New England winters. She has found another home. I miss that car and hope to one day find a replacement.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Different strokes for different people I guess... Final products may have a slightly different interior with a smaller screen. I am thinking aloud here, wouldn't care if it were to remain at that size

Another view of the interior with vertical screen. to me it is as car as the Porsche 911 Targa (?) and with much better performance. Nostalgia et all: Some of us lament the old cars and I try to understand the feeling but they are outclassed/outperformed in most ways by modern and sometimes pedestrian cars
tesla-model-s-unplugged-performance-sema-3-1.jpg

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Different strokes for different people I guess... Final products may have a slightly different interior with a smaller screen. I am thinking aloud here, wouldn't care if it were to remain at that size

Another view of the interior with vertical screen. to me it is as car as the Porsche 911 Targa (?) and with much better performance. Nostalgia et all: Some of us lament the old cars and I try to understand the feeling but they are outclassed/outperformed in most ways by modern and sometimes pedestrian cars
View attachment 26448

I agree Frantz......

This is the future

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
All you have to do us take a Tesla out on a test drive. All the convincing I needed. We are lucky to have a showroom a handful of miles from here.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

View attachment 26448

OMG, that is gorgeous!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
All you have to do us take a Tesla out on a test drive. All the convincing I needed. We are lucky to have a showroom a handful of miles from here.

I have taken a Tesla for a drive....it's very impressive. So don't get me wrong, I'm all for the idea of the electric vehicle and the continued impact on the current gas engine vehicles. However, when it comes to the interior design of the Tesla, while i like the BIG screen and the other controls, I don't really like the interior design ( never mind quality!) The Porsche that Peter posted is obviously a more traditional look...which I happen to prefer. Kind of like why i like analog more than digital, LOL:p

Steve Williams

Who said Elon Musk isn't a revolutionary when it comes to vision?

Preorders of 325,000 Model 3's and $14B in cash in the bank for a car that won't be delivered until the end of 2017

Tesla has received 325,000 preorders for the Model 3
'Biggest one-week launch of any product ever'

By Andrew J . Hawkins The Verge

Tesla announced Thursday that it has received 325,000 preorders for its recently unveiled Model 3. If it sells every car that's been reserved, the company says it will earn enough revenue to make this the "biggest one-week launch of any product ever." A few days ago, the electric car company was saying it had received twice the number of preorders it originally expected to get. Now it's quickly approaching three times that number, which raises questions about the company's ability to meet its increasingly complex production goals.

$14 BILLION IN IMPLIED FUTURE SALES

If it can, it stands to make a boatload of money. Tesla says the number of preorders it has received so far corresponds to $14 billion in implied future sales. And it boasts that it was able to generate hype for the Model 3 without advertisements or "paid endorsements." The company has raked in $325 million on just Model 3 deposits alone. Fortunately for those more fickle fans, the $1,000 deposit is refundable.

Elon Musk, the company's CEO, unveiled the Model 3 at an event in Hawthorne, California, last Thursday, to much fanfare. Even before the car was revealed, hundreds of eager Tesla fans were lining up outside dealerships around the world. No doubt Tesla is hoping the news of its incredible preorders would overshadow the company's announcement Monday that it was only able to ship 2,400 Model Xs last quarter due to its "hubris in adding far too much new technology."

In a tweet today, Musk revealed that only 5 percent of Model 3 preorder customers reserved two cars — the maximum allowed — and Musk says this suggested "low levels of speculation," or buyers looking to flip the car for a profit. The reservations are not transferable, meaning any speculators would need to buy the car outright and then sell it used to a third-party.

In Forbes this week, auto industry commentator Bertell Schmitt wrote that in all his years of covering cars, "I've never witnessed such a high number of reservations." That said, he has his doubts that Tesla will be able to meet expectations, given the company's poor track record in meeting its orders on time. "Tesla has grappled with production problems many times, even while in boutique production mode," Schmitt notes.

But Musk is undeterred. In a Twitter Q&A the other day, the billionaire CEO said he expects the Model 3 to crack a half-a-million preorders even before part two of the car is unveiled later this year.

Steve Williams

Preorders of 325,000 Model 3's and $14B in cash in the bank for a car that won't be delivered until the end of 2017

Tesla has received 325,000 preorders for the Model 3
'Biggest one-week launch of any product ever'

By Andrew J . Hawkins The Verge

Tesla announced Thursday that it has received 325,000 preorders for its recently unveiled Model 3. If it sells every car that's been reserved, the company says it will earn enough revenue to make this the "biggest one-week launch of any product ever." A few days ago, the electric car company was saying it had received twice the number of preorders it originally expected to get. Now it's quickly approaching three times that number, which raises questions about the company's ability to meet its increasingly complex production goals.

$14 BILLION IN IMPLIED FUTURE SALES

If it can, it stands to make a boatload of money. Tesla says the number of preorders it has received so far corresponds to $14 billion in implied future sales. And it boasts that it was able to generate hype for the Model 3 without advertisements or "paid endorsements." The company has raked in $325 million on just Model 3 deposits alone. Fortunately for those more fickle fans, the $1,000 deposit is refundable.

Elon Musk, the company's CEO, unveiled the Model 3 at an event in Hawthorne, California, last Thursday, to much fanfare. Even before the car was revealed, hundreds of eager Tesla fans were lining up outside dealerships around the world. No doubt Tesla is hoping the news of its incredible preorders would overshadow the company's announcement Monday that it was only able to ship 2,400 Model Xs last quarter due to its "hubris in adding far too much new technology."

In a tweet today, Musk revealed that only 5 percent of Model 3 preorder customers reserved two cars — the maximum allowed — and Musk says this suggested "low levels of speculation," or buyers looking to flip the car for a profit. The reservations are not transferable, meaning any speculators would need to buy the car outright and then sell it used to a third-party.

In Forbes this week, auto industry commentator Bertell Schmitt wrote that in all his years of covering cars, "I've never witnessed such a high number of reservations." That said, he has his doubts that Tesla will be able to meet expectations, given the company's poor track record in meeting its orders on time. "Tesla has grappled with production problems many times, even while in boutique production mode," Schmitt notes.

But Musk is undeterred. In a Twitter Q&A the other day, the billionaire CEO said he expects the Model 3 to crack a half-a-million preorders even before part two of the car is unveiled later this year.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not sure why as consumers we should be happy about that. I like to walk in and buy their cars and not hear them gloating about how they have such long waiting times and how much money they can stand to make. That is for them, not for us. :(

Hope Nissan and others go after the market strongly and we get more choices like we have in phones with iPhone and Android. Consumers are never served well with a single supplier.

Steve Williams

Not sure why as consumers we should be happy about that. I like to walk in and buy their cars and not hear them gloating about how they have such long waiting times and how much money they can stand to make. That is for them, not for us. :(

Hope Nissan and others go after the market strongly and we get more choices like we have in phones with iPhone and Android. Consumers are never served well with a single supplier.
You can always buy a Volt. No lines there.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

It makes me wonder what the folks in Detroit have been doing all this time and what they are thinking now. This seems to add a significant new choice for the consumer. Just saw your comment about the Volt. That is rather funny.

Steve Williams

It makes me wonder what the folks in Detroit have been doing all this time and what they are thinking now. This seems to add a significant new choice for the consumer. Just saw your comment about the Volt. That is rather funny.

Tesla IMO is the "future here right now" Tesla is so far ahead in the R&D of batteries as well as providing cross country recharge with the use of Musk's solar panels that it will take years before the big companies catch up. Hence the people and the long preorders.

My son who drives a Prius now just pre ordered two Model3. BTW has anyone been following Tesla stock. It's on a huge roll

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing