Telefunken NOS 6922 tubes are they worth the Money?

Bushikai

Feb 12, 2014
Hello, I'm planning to change the 6992 on my sonic frontiers SFL-1 preamp and I came across the Telefunken NOS made in Germany in the 60's with is pretty expensive if you compare it to the new ones, about $300!! Is it worth the difference? By the way my goal is to get more mid and highs from the preamp.

Thank you very much in advance.

Henry,

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Any CCA is good if it is NOS (Siemens etc,). Actually the standard russian 6922 are also good. I have no bad experience with any russion tube, they only need to be matched and need more heater current (so no series connection of the heaters).

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The bigger question you need to answer is whether you think a tube change will get the results you seek. Getting "more mids and highs" is typically not something a tube change will accomplish. Yes there are subtle differences in frequency balance among different tubes, but I 'm skeptical they can bring the changes in magnitude you seek. Before you spend a lot of money on tubes, it might be fun to try some inexpensive variants first. There are a lot of excellent lower cost 6922s out there.

Reactions: tima and Lampie519

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
The bigger question you need to answer is whether you think a tube change will get the results you seek. Getting "more mids and highs" is typically not something a tube change will accomplish. Yes there are subtle differences in frequency balance among different tubes, but I 'm skeptical they can bring the changes in magnitude you seek. Before you spend a lot of money on tubes, it might be fun to try some inexpensive variants first. There are a lot of excellent lower cost 6922s out there.
I would agree. The Tele 6922 is very linear; it does not accentuate any part of the spectrum. It is grain free and conveys the signal it is given. Super transparent - if there is air, resonance, and recording venue cues in the source then it will be in the output. It will sound "cleaner" on high frequencies and allow warmth/presence in the mid-range (given the recording).

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Yes. I would not use my cj GAT without them.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
I've own many SF over the years and SFL-1 was my 1st tube component. I find SF sound lean side of neutral so prefer Mazda, Amperex and Philip Holland that adds some weight.

If looking for Tele alternative, checkout 60's Siemens e88cc ... similar sound and maybe Siemen less dry? My favorites in a VAC SigMKIIa SE and actually prefer to 60's Siemen CCA. Siemen is available from reputable dealers usually for under $300 MP.

For new production, checkout EH 6922. Don't bother with gold pins, inexpensive and good match for SF. This is stock 6922 for many companies.

Reactions: christoph

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
As we all know, the 6922 or E88CC was not designed for audio yet it has been used in pro equipment (Siemens V77b preamps etc.). I have tested a lot of those tubes for different amps but they need to be matched for audio and many are noisy in the audio range (good for RF amps though). So be sure you get warranty when you buy some NOS.

Attachments

• IMG_0345[1].JPG
    IMG_0345[1].JPG
    569.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0344[1].JPG
    IMG_0344[1].JPG
    535.6 KB · Views: 4

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
FWIW, after a long period of frustration I ended up going with a quad of 60s Mullards/70s Mazdas 6DJ8s from Brent Jesse in the US. Finally got a reliable set of these tubes from him, after so much bad luck w other sources, and so musical to boot.
I had trawled thru stock new Tesla and Electro Harmonix, grey and bland, 80s NOS Voskhod Rockets and Reflektor Silver Shields, unreliable and a little bleached tonally, 70s NOS Siemens, a tad tipped up/lacking warmth...and now my Mullards/Mazdas which are keepers, so colourful, fleshed out and naturally fast.

Last edited:

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Telefunken idolatry as pricey veblens status objects makes me automatically cross them off the list. Yeah, I have a couple of pairs of the vaunted ones that I got in the day before the worship started. 'Nice' tubes, not miraculous. I'm rather fond of Amperex orange label 6922 or 6dj8, but don't know what their current fashion or cost status is. I have bugle boy types, and they seemed as 'clean' as Tele's.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
My input. I have one in my CJ ET5. Love it. To my ear, sounded better than the EAT product, which is a good sounding tube. I have a 70's version and paid $125 several years ago. Suffice to say, tubes and their sonic signatures are very subjective. Contact Brent Jesse and stay away from the "other guy".

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing