The Marvellous MG30.7's

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you very much, RJ, for that very detailed and comprehensive analysis! I appreciate it! I am very happy for you that you continue to be so happy with the CLX!

It was also interesting to learn about the evolution of your workout regimen! WOOF WOOF!

As I told my doctor recently: "Doc, the good news is, no matter what I eat I don't get any weight. The bad news is, no matter what I eat I don't gain any weight."

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Ha! That's a definite Ron.
In fact my last full check up which was long overdue (4yrs ago) did one just last week. All clear! Everything is tickety boo, in fact the Doc said I'm fit as a 20yr old... except for one thing lacking... (the wifey reckons it's basic intelligence) turned out to be vitamin D! So I'm on supplements now. Feels better when you're benching.

G-man, agree with you mate. What I meant on wallop and thunder slam is comparing the 30.7's bass to CLX's bass. Even more so when driven by the Relentless amps, the 30.7's can deliver all the thunder if and when required, believe me I've experienced it!

Like I said, my particular system has been carefully put together for a specific type of music reproduction, hence I don't require that added weight at all. On a second system though it would certainly be nice to have either 30.7's, Apogee's, Ren15a's or Strads. That would be spoilt rotten and wonderful!

As I was listening last night / towards this morning, I reminisced over all the lofty systems I've heard and owned, started asking myself what is really accurate?
How about those big Genesis Dragons, aren't those accurate? What about the Pendragon's, Statements, Infinity's IRSV'S, Alsyvox, Rockports, Zellaton's, oh! I forgot Wilson's Chronosonic, aren't those supposed to be accurate? What about the $1.9 mil system from Cessaro horns... aren't those supposed to be better in every way,?

Well, who really cares! When we start to compare and judge, we will never be content, always changing in one form or the other, eventually I sincerely don't think we're enjoying the music, rather listening to gear, and that's clearly not the aim. If you're after accurate, the only way to experience that is the actual live instrument, nothing else compares even the actual human voice.

After careful listening and have auditioned so many different systems, all I gathered since these last few weeks is that they all sound different. Not one was disappointing, rather quite enjoyable in what it had to offer. It is that system, the personal preference that will only fully engage and immerse you in the moment. Whether that is a $100 system or $1mil system, who really cares, as long as it's satisfying everything you're looking for. Like you said you need several pairs of speakers, that's great!

Some are happy and fully content with high quality ear plugs, headphones and downloadable music, we can't label then nor judge them. They seem pretty happy enjoying what they have.

So with that my fellow audiophile maties, I'm off for a while, heading out to get some beers, since I've just burned nearly 700cals. It was another HIT session, and this time the wifey beat me by approx 80cals, dam it!

At least the music will be very relaxing tonight.
All the best in your journey, and keep safe all, we're still not out of this terrible virus.

Be well, best RJ

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Ha! That's a definite Ron.
In fact my last full check up which was long overdue (4yrs ago) did one just last week. All clear! Everything is tickety boo, in fact the Doc said I'm fit as a 20yr old... except for one thing lacking... (the wifey reckons it's basic intelligence) turned out to be vitamin D! So I'm on supplements now. Feels better when you're benching.

G-man, agree with you mate. What I meant on wallop and thunder slam is comparing the 30.7's bass to CLX's bass. Even more so when driven by the Relentless amps, the 30.7's can deliver all the thunder if and when required, believe me I've experienced it!

Like I said, my particular system has been carefully put together for a specific type of music reproduction, hence I don't require that added weight at all. On a second system though it would certainly be nice to have either 30.7's, Apogee's, Ren15a's or Strads. That would be spoilt rotten and wonderful!

As I was listening last night / towards this morning, I reminisced over all the lofty systems I've heard and owned, started asking myself what is really accurate?
How about those big Genesis Dragons, aren't those accurate? What about the Pendragon's, Statements, Infinity's IRSV'S, Alsyvox, Rockports, Zellaton's, oh! I forgot Wilson's Chronosonic, aren't those supposed to be accurate? What about the $1.9 mil system from Cessaro horns... aren't those supposed to be better in every way,?

Well, who really cares! When we start to compare and judge, we will never be content, always changing in one form or the other, eventually I sincerely don't think we're enjoying the music, rather listening to gear, and that's clearly not the aim. If you're after accurate, the only way to experience that is the actual live instrument, nothing else compares even the actual human voice.

After careful listening and have auditioned so many different systems, all I gathered since these last few weeks is that they all sound different. Not one was disappointing, rather quite enjoyable in what it had to offer. It is that system, the personal preference that will only fully engage and immerse you in the moment. Whether that is a $100 system or $1mil system, who really cares, as long as it's satisfying everything you're looking for. Like you said you need several pairs of speakers, that's great!

Some are happy and fully content with high quality ear plugs, headphones and downloadable music, we can't label then nor judge them. They seem pretty happy enjoying what they have.

So with that my fellow audiophile maties, I'm off for a while, heading out to get some beers, since I've just burned nearly 700cals. It was another HIT session, and this time the wifey beat me by approx 80cals, dam it!

At least the music will be very relaxing tonight.
All the best in your journey, and keep safe all, we're still not out of this terrible virus.

Be well, best RJ
Yes I agree fully with you raj after all life is just to short.

Reactions: Big Dog RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
A lot of times when I listen to the 30.7 s I don’t hear any bass yet the sound is so full and effortless. The extension of the Maggie’s bass is working its magic.a lot of clx owners and Maggie owners use sub woofers in the same way, not to hear powerful bass or thump and wallop but to make the main speakers sound much fuller and more magical
Hey G-man! It's been a while...
Just checking on how things are going? Trust all is ok at your end of the woods and you're enjoying those fine tunes!

Just thought I'd share a few points; recently auditioned a pair of Dartzeel amplifiers driving MG30.7's, sounded very very nice. It had that full 3 dimensional affect and well controlled LF. The owner previously had the mighty Mac MC901's something like 1000w monoblocks! Although it had plenty of power, he preferred something more intimate, with speed and more openess, so tried a few other types, including the Gryphon Mephisto (which Ev sold...) and was able to close in on a pair of fine Dartzeel mono's. He's now using the ARC Ref10 as his main preamp, which I helped him to set up and using the XLR connections as well. Good stuff ! I reckon it's worth for a visit.

Are you still using the Maggie's?
Cheers, RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing