TAS Alexia review (December 2013 issue)

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
As a member of the first group of US dealers that Ivor brought over to Scotland in 1981, I remember his position well. Fortunately, we had already been doing single speaker demos in my shop, as the US Distributor at the time, Gary Warzin of Audiophile Systems, discovered on his initial visit.

On a side note, of the so-called Top 10 dealers who went for that one week tour, Peter McGrath was in our group.

But I digress...

As a relatively quiet member here here, I try not to get pulled into the threads, but this one hit a hot button.

Though I have MUCH more I could say, let's just look at the demo issue:

- I always felt (and still do) that the other speakers in the room are passively playing along with the demo pair, only out of tune. Depending on the type of unused speaker and where it is located, the effects can be somewhat deleterious to disastrous.

- There is only one best spot in the room for each speaker and often, only one best listening position. The chances of two high performance speakers working at their best when sitting adjacent and one pair inside the other are slim and most likely, none.

- The acoustic wave launch into the room that affects staging is compromised by any large adjacent object - in this case the other speaker.

I will go so far as to say that - IMO - specialty audio dealers should go out of their way to deliver an effective demo for each product they carry. If not, what separates them from the ordinary dealers and even the Internet? I suppose that looking at the product's fit 'n finish can be of great assistance, but its performance is our primary consideration - at least in most situations.

This is a small part of why I have taken the position that high-end audio is not dying because of a lack of interest. If it is suffering, it's because the industry itself is contributing to its demise.

Believe it or not, that was a tiny bit of what I wanted to say. :rolleyes:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I will go so far as to say that - IMO - specialty audio dealers should go out of their way to deliver an effective demo for each product they carry. If not, what separates them from the ordinary dealers and even the Internet? I suppose that looking at the product's fit 'n finish can be of great assistance, but its performance is our primary consideration - at least in most situations.

This is a small part of why I have taken the position that high-end audio is not dying because of a lack of interest. If it is suffering, it's because the industry itself is contributing to its demise.

Wise words, and something I hesitated to say myself. Frankly, what I really wanted to say is, we are well into the 21st century and this is the best we can do to demo ultra-expensive equipment??? This is one of the reasons I admire the work Goodwin's has done with their rooms, and while perhaps not the very best set-ups either, they do have actually made the effort (and multiple times, in fact) to build rooms that can do justice to speakers and systems; and you will never catch them demoing speakers next to each other.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I read somewhere if you have another set of speakers in the room, you need to short the terminals. Any belief in that?

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
Three things I've tried over the years:

1 - Short the unused speaker terminals.

2 - Hook up the unused speakers to a power amplifier with the gain all the way down. For example, in a HT application where you may only be listening to two channel for music.

3 - Build a portable baffle board that can be attached to the unused speaker(s) (without damaging the finish) over the driver.

But they do not compare to removing the unused speaker - if it is possible.

Otherwise, #3 is the next best option.

IMO, of course...

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
2 - Hook up the unused speakers to a power amplifier with the gain all the way down. For example, in a HT application where you may only be listening to two channel for music.

This is what I default to in my hybrid 2 channel / MCH room. I guess I should leave my center and surround channel amps powered on then.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
I read somewhere if you have another set of speakers in the room, you need to short the terminals. Any belief in that?

The cones of an unused speaker are a room treatment, even with the terminals shorted. The "cone" room treatment could be positive, negative, or neutral.

Personally, if I can enjoy & comfortably listen to the music for HOURS, I am satisfied.

zz.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Experiment

The cones of an unused speaker are a room treatment, even with the terminals shorted. The "cone" room treatment could be positive, negative, or neutral.
zz.

Experiment:
{1} take 2 identical drivers & gently place your finger on the outer cone on either side / push in gently / release / repeat - on both drivers.
{2} Then short the terminals on one of the drivers & compare.
{3} Then just focus on one driver & compare with short & NO short.
You might notice the tiniest difference on a large driver [the short has turned the driver magnet assembly into a 'kind of' generator]. Therefore the greatest effect will be the "cone" room treatment whether shorted or not.

Of course, as mentioned before by others, the unused speakers' cabinets have a great effect on room response [for better, worse, or neutral].

zz.

Last edited:

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012

Personally, if I can enjoy & comfortably listen to the music for HOURS, I am satisfied.

zz.

A driver that's flopping about - out of control - is definitely a form of room treatment.

However, if our systems are consistently musically engaging, that's about all we can ask, isn't it? :cool:

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Anyone seen the 2013 TAS Product of the Year awards yet? ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations to the whole Wilson team. Happily I got mine months before the award - otherwise people would tell me that my purchase was influenced by the TAS award, and my credibility at WBF would go even lower! BTW, Debby, you should refer to Mocca Black, one of the more exquisite Wilson finishes, when recommending colors. ;) Everyone who came to listen to mine loved them.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 202

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Congratulations to the whole Wilson team. Happily I got mine months before the award - otherwise people would tell me that my purchase was influenced by the TAS award, and my credibility at WBF would go even lower! BTW, Debby, you should refer to Mocca Black, one of the more exquisite Wilson finishes, when recommending colors. ;) Everyone who came to listen to mine loved them.

Thank you! :D

Is Mocca Black different than the standard black (Diamond Black)?

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
They won overall product of the year in Stereophile.

Somehow I thought that was TAS. I'm getting my mags confused again.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Kef won in Stereophile. It was implied the Wilsons won in TAS.

If I am not mistaken, I thought they won both. Am I the confused one?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing