TAS Alexia review (December 2013 issue)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Happily I got the Alexia before reading the TAS review by Anthony H. Cordesman, a reviewer I have highly praised in WBF. Otherwise everyone would consider that I got it influenced by his enthusiastic critic " Wilson Alexia - Sometimes Reality Surpasses Expectations" . Read it at TAS 238.

Quoting AHC:
"This loudspeaker can reproduce the details of full-range dynamic contrasts to a degree I never before heard from any speaker this size and they don’t compress or distort at really high listening levels. Moreover, the Alexia is just as good with low-level details. This exceptional ability to handle the loudest and most complex musical material is matched by equally extraordinary low-level musical realism. If you love solo instruments—guitar, piano, violin, whatever—you are going to find that the Alexia provides a level of clarity that matches the best planar and electrostatic drivers from the highest frequencies through the lower midrange to the midbass"

He does not need my confirmation, but yes it is true!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Happily I got the Alexia before reading the TAS review by Anthony H. Cordesman, a reviewer I have highly praised in WBF. Otherwise everyone would consider that I got it influenced by his enthusiastic critic " Wilson Alexia - Sometimes Reality Surpasses Expectations" . Read it at TAS 238.

Quoting AHC:
"This loudspeaker can reproduce the details of full-range dynamic contrasts to a degree I never before heard from any speaker this size and they don’t compress or distort at really high listening levels. Moreover, the Alexia is just as good with low-level details. This exceptional ability to handle the loudest and most complex musical material is matched by equally extraordinary low-level musical realism. If you love solo instruments—guitar, piano, violin, whatever—you are going to find that the Alexia provides a level of clarity that matches the best planar and electrostatic drivers from the highest frequencies through the lower midrange to the midbass"

He does not need my confirmation, but yes it is true!

I guess that contrary to some opinions in the past few days the Alexia is an amazing speaker ;)

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
No arguments here either!

I'm really looking forward to Atkinson's review in Stereophile (I think December issue too). Alexia's everywhere!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I would certainly tend to believe AHC over some of the "professional" reviewers, he has no agenda but his ears and good sound.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
I guess that contrary to some opinions in the past few days the Alexia is an amazing speaker ;)

The Alexias, driven by VTL reference amplification during a demo lead by Peter McGrath at Innovative AV in NYC, provided maybe my best listening experience ever.

If I could buy an audio system with no money limits, they would be my #1 choice.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No argument from me. This is what I've been saying all along!

Yes, Bruce, you were the first in WBF to be infatuated by the siren Alexia song! ;)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Yes, Bruce, you were the first in WBF to be infatuated by the siren Alexia song! ;)
First to actually purchase, probably, but IIRC our fearless Webmaster heard and praised them first ;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
First to actually purchase, probably, but IIRC our fearless Webmaster heard and praised them first ;)

Not all of us though were blown away but the first exhibition :( There were some real issues, either with the room or equipment, that year at RMAF.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Not all of us though were blown away but the first exhibition :( There were some real issues, either with the room or equipment, that year at RMAF.

I listened to the Alexia many times in four different rooms and systems. Most of the sessions were nothing special, but at one time they had a really exceptional performance playing recordings I know pretty well. This session has triggered my decision, as I was then sure of their potential. I am happy that they are playing much better in my room than in any of those sessions - surely IMHO and with the music I appreciate.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
That would be me also, and unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to hear them since :(

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I heard them at RMAF last year. Peter played back some of the files I mastered for him and it actually sounded better than what I heard in the studio. That's what sold me!

Just got mine in the mail today.

Reading now!

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Just finished reading it; balanced, well done. What really caught my attention, though, was the next page on Transparent cable. As I suspected, still no earth shattering technologies in their networks, pretty basic and straight forward stuff - still can't see how they justify their asking prices.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I listened to the Alexia many times in four different rooms and systems. Most of the sessions were nothing special, but at one time they had a really exceptional performance playing recordings I know pretty well. This session has triggered my decision, as I was then sure of their potential. I am happy that they are playing much better in my room than in any of those sessions - surely IMHO and with the music I appreciate.

Isn't that pretty much always the case? :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Just finished reading it; balanced, well done. What really caught my attention, though, was the next page on Transparent cable. As I suspected, still no earth shattering technologies in their networks, pretty basic and straight forward stuff - still can't see how they justify their asking prices.

Thing is that the Transparent cables don't bring any attention to themselves. And for whatever the reason, the TA just seem to lock in with the Wilson speakers.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Thing is that the Transparent cables don't bring any attention to themselves. And for whatever the reason, the TA just seem to lock in with the Wilson speakers.

Well unfortunately they didn't "lock in" with mine. Maybe I should have tried the Ref series.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I can't see how they would lock in with anything specific: 1) A low-pass filter below 1MHz - so what, anyone can create such a filter; nothing expensive or earth-shattering here; 2) capacitive and inductive "balance" in the cable due to low-frequency losses in the wire - for all I care, they can simply be boosting the low frequencies (based on cable length) to compensate for low-frequency losses in the wire - what's the real innovation, the patent??? 3) Length-invariant LCR values - again, they may simply be doing nothing for very long lengths, then for shorter ones they could be adding appropriate LCR values to make them behave like the longer lengths and then claim the two widely different cable lengths behave the exact same way - what exactly is the innovation, where's the patent???

I remain deeply skeptical re: Transparent cables.

PS: I am getting a pair of Reference phono cables to try this weekend.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Well unfortunately they didn't "lock in" with mine. Maybe I should have tried the Ref series.

What do you use Bruce? Interestingly TA uses Wilson speakers when evaluating their cables.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I can't see how they would lock in with anything specific: 1) A low-pass filter below 1MHz - so what, anyone can create such a filter; nothing expensive or earth-shattering here; 2) capacitive and inductive "balance" in the cable due to low-frequency losses in the wire - for all I care, they can simply be boosting the low frequencies (based on cable length) to compensate for low-frequency losses in the wire - what's the real innovation, the patent??? 3) Length-invariant LCR values - again, they may simply be doing nothing for very long lengths, then for shorter ones they could be adding appropriate LCR values to make them behave like the longer lengths and then claim the two widely different cable lengths behave the exact same way - what exactly is the innovation, where's the patent???

I remain deeply skeptical re: Transparent cables.

PS: I am getting a pair of Reference phono cables to try this weekend.

If you look at specs, then we'd all be using zip cord or coat hangers :) Proof is in always in the listening.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
What do you use Bruce? Interestingly TA uses Wilson speakers when evaluating their cables.

JPS Labs Aluminata

I wanted to like the TA's and I believe it's also used on the inside of each Wilson speaker

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing