Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
i looked for information on your Pilium Electra dac; whether it is 'bit-perfect' or an upsampler. could not find any information. nada. just a reference to different filters.

how does it process any file? does it convert everything to a higher rez file always PCM, always dsd, or keep the file native? is it a hybrid dac where it processes each file keeping it native? native meaning the same as it was originally recorded or transferred from tape. you want that or as close to it as you can get.

if your goal is the best sound, then you should research whether your SACD's are PCM based, or pure dsd. the best sounding file will be the native file if your dac is 'bit-perfect'. if it's an upsampler, then it's less predictable but still likely that the native file will sound better.

maybe the best approach would be to do some listening to various versions of files where you have both choices and find out how your dac reacts.

before you decide how to rip SACD's you need to know where you ought to be going. on your favorite SACD's you may want to go to HD Tracks or another source site and buy the native file? or at least consider it. sometimes Quboz has that native file.
LOL you’re right, Pillium Elektra could do with more widely available informations. It’s a fantastic DAC though. Very very analog sounding, perhaps one of the most analog sounding I ever heard (not that I heard a lot).

It doesn’t upsample anything, always plays the native file even when I click max everything and disable “native” playback on the setup from Roon, when the file is 44.1K it just play it as it is and vice versa, it also plays everything up to DSD 512 and PCM 768-32 bit, no MQA though.

How do you tell if an SACD is DSD or PCM? Some of my SACD also have DSD logo on the cover but some don’t. Is it safe to assume the ones without DSD logo is PCM?

thanks so much for taking the time for the thorough explanations @Mike Lavigne , much appreciated!

I guess I will have a lot of deleting and re ripping to do tomorrow. Well, it’s almost Christmas anyway, good that I have a lot to do.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i looked for information on your Pilium Electra dac; whether it is 'bit-perfect' or an upsampler. could not find any information. nada. just a reference to different filters.

how does it process any file? does it convert everything to a higher rez file always PCM, always dsd, or keep the file native? is it a hybrid dac where it processes each file keeping it native? native meaning the same as it was originally recorded or transferred from tape. you want that or as close to it as you can get.

if your goal is the best sound, then you should research whether your SACD's are PCM based, or pure dsd. the best sounding file will be the native file if your dac is 'bit-perfect'. if it's an upsampler, then it's less predictable but still likely that the native file will sound better.

maybe the best approach would be to do some listening to various versions of files where you have both choices and find out how your dac reacts.

before you decide how to rip SACD's you need to know where you ought to be going. on your favorite SACD's you may want to go to HD Tracks or another source site and buy the native file? or at least consider it. sometimes Quboz has that native file.
Bob from Rhapsody says that the Electra dac keeps things native. so that should be how you want to go too. try finding the native source for any file if you love it. not sure what percentage of SACD's start as dsd; but it will be likely useful to know to end up with the best sounding files.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
LOL you’re right, Pillium Elektra could do with more widely available informations. It’s a fantastic DAC though. Very very analog sounding, perhaps one of the most analog sounding I ever heard (not that I heard a lot).

It doesn’t upsample anything, always plays the native file even when I click max everything and disable “native” playback on the setup from Roon, when the file is 44.1K it just play it as it is and vice versa, it also plays everything up to DSD 512 and PCM 768-32 bit, no MQA though.

How do you tell if an SACD is DSD or PCM? Some of my SACD also have DSD logo on the cover but some don’t. Is it safe to assume the ones without DSD logo is PCM?

thanks so much for taking the time for the thorough explanations @Mike Lavigne , much appreciated!
the information will be on the SACD somewhere mostly. or just google the recording and it's findable. HD tracks has lots of info. once you start looking for this you will learn quickly how to figure it out. and each music label tends to do things consistently. Acoustic Sounds has this info, as does Discog.

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
For practical reasons I had to move my Extreme from the corner of the room to the top of my media console. Thankfully I had a 500lb hydraulic lift to help ;)

For home tranquility reasons, I’m now researching racks to replace the media console ;)

1640184607304.jpeg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
Gotcha! That was very helpful, thanks for the help @Mike Lavigne !

Please let me know if you know the answer regarding if it’s okay if I keep on playing music through Taiko when burning. My head said it’s okay but the OCD in me said it’s not okay. Ripping lots of CD can get boring without accompanying music. Even right now I am listening to my music and I dare not touch my laptop to fix my upsampled files……LOL… it’s scary

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
For practical reasons I had to move my Extreme from the corner of the room to the top of my media console. Thankfully I had a 500lb hydraulic lift to help ;)

For home tranquility reasons, I’m now researching racks to replace the media console ;)

View attachment 86778
Brilliant! Would you mind sending the name of the lift cart?
Love those speakers, BTW.

Reactions: ray-dude

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
Brilliant! Would you mind sending the name of the lift cart?
Love those speakers, BTW.

My other vice is pinball machines, so I picked up one of these. I would have never have dreamed I’d need to use it on a music server

As an aside, when you can buy a whole pinball machine for what we pay for power cords, it is a bit grounding (and yes, I have upgraded the sound and power supplies in my pins ;)

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
One more back saver that I’ve used more than I thought I would with my Extreme:

The Original Rhino Strong Commercial Grade Air Wedge Bag Pump Professional Leveling Kit & Alignment Tool Inflatable Shim Bag 3 Piece (Small, Medium, Large). 3 sizes for all of your individual needs.

These are a godsend. Highly recommended.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(... ) if your goal is the best sound, then you should research whether your SACD's are PCM based, or pure dsd. the best sounding file will be the native file if your dac is 'bit-perfect'. if it's an upsampler, then it's less predictable but still likely that the native file will sound better.

maybe the best approach would be to do some listening to various versions of files where you have both choices and find out how your dac reacts. (...)

Getting the native file will always give us peace of mind - we are closer to the source - but as you say sound quality preference depends on the implementation of the DAC being used and system.
One nice thing of the Vivaldi upsampler is that it can convert any format in any format - if we get the native file we can listen in any format in the DAC! I usually listed DSD native and upample any PCM to the respective DXD (352 or 384).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
"I have trouble relaxing and just letting the music come to me when something is out of place." I can totally relate to that! I also agree that it looks better with the server in the rack rather than on top.
Totally disagree. My Extreme occupies top tier along with my turntable, STUDER, Lampizator and Extreme. Those are my go to pieces and there is no problem with my racks and the load. The Extreme is a work of art and IMO should not be hidden at the bottom. I guess it all depends on the rack used. but the load is not an issue on my platforms

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Totally disagree. My Extreme occupies top tier along with my turntable, STUDER, Lampizator and Extreme. Those are my go to pieces and there is no problem with my racks and the load. The Extreme is a work of art and IMO should not be hidden at the bottom. I guess it all depends on the rack used. but the load is not an issue on my platforms
This and if u need to remove the cover to add or move cards you want to be on top!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This and if u need to remove the cover to add or move cards you want to be on top!
It’s never been a problem. I did it with the new Taiko USB card. My DAC is right beside it , also heavy as is my Studer and Tech Das. These are all my working pieces of gear. All are top shelf pieces. Being next to my DAC allows the use of a short USB cable

Reactions: Taiko Audio

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
One more back saver that I’ve used more than I thought I would with my Extreme:

The Original Rhino Strong Commercial Grade Air Wedge Bag Pump Professional Leveling Kit & Alignment Tool Inflatable Shim Bag 3 Piece (Small, Medium, Large). 3 sizes for all of your individual needs.

These are a godsend. Highly recommended.

These look really good for lifting the Extreme in order to put footers underneath.

Is the largest of the 3 bags sufficient for lifting the Extreme on its own or do you use multiple bags?

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
One bag is plenty (I suspect one bag could lift 2 or even 3 Extremes). Amazing how often I used these things, now that I have them

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I use a different brand, and I believe both are rated to 300 lbs. I have used these for many purposes, including audio: testing footers, etc. It can help to add a piece(s) of wood to take up the "slack" and get into the best work-range of the bags. Highly recommended!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I noticed that the current Test Flight for TAS expires in 15 days.

I hope it doesn’t get renewed. ;););)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing