Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
The video should be renamed to "Jay self-interviewing himself in front of Emile".
Emile barely had a chance to talk...
Bingo! Much as I get a vicarious kick out of Jay's "assault" up Audio Nirvana Mountain, as I was listening to the "interview" I was reminded of the adage that the odds of me learning something are greatly enhanced the less my lips are moving. That said, I still appreciate that Jay enthusiastically appreciates what the Extreme delivers, Emile, et al's, honey badger-like tenacity for improving SQ and functionality, and the unparalleled commitment to customer service that Emile and the Taiko Team deliver daily. I sound like a Taiko fanboy!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Jay's Audio Gab. Imagine: you have Emile for an interview, a real chance to learn something from a unique POV, and you want to know why manufacturers don't ship components with expensive power cables. Really? G-wiz...
did you expect anything other from Jay's Lab??

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Wanted to check in, just placed an order. Very excited. Emile has been phenomenally helpful and patient!
Congratulations. If you think Emile has been super-helpful now, wait until your Extreme is delivered and he goes through the setup process with you.

I couldn't be happier with my decision to purchase a Taiko product almost two years now into Extreme ownership. Time flies when filled with great music!

Steve Z

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
What is the power consumption of the Extreme? I assume it’s <100W?

Between 60 and 80 watts depending on which software playback you use and/or if you use DSP or convolution (room correction), if you perform real-time up sampling it can consume more.

Reactions: Zeotrope

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Luckily that's all to be found right here in this thread :)
It's here that we appreciate all of your efforts and understand where Taiko is headed. That recent interview was an exercise in futility IMHO

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: tpsully99

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
I feel you should give Jay a break. Jay's personality is what it is. He tried to show Emile in good light and show him in person and talk a little. I think he succeeded. I believe no one else has done this.

Reactions: ctydwn and cmarin

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
I feel you should give Jay a break. Jay's personality is what it is. He tried to show Emile in good light and show him in person and talk a little. I think he succeeded. I believe no one else has done this.
For the most part I agree with you, Jeffy. It's great that Jay used his platform to share his enthusiasm for the Extreme, Taiko, Emile, etc., and he is not a "professional" interviewer, but a measured critique of his interview style, sans character assassination, is reasonable. I know when I get excited speaking to someone I admire for the first time, upon review I sometimes wish I had spoken less and listened more. After watching the video Jay might have felt this way, too...

Christiaan Punter

the OCD guy i am, once i got it in my head that i wanted to move the Extreme down, i just had to do it. i listened for a while tonight, and it was sounding very fine indeed, but then i had to make it look right. i think i pulled a muscle in my forearm hefting the Extreme off the top.....but that will heal. it all just fit with good space around everything.

anyway; now i'm happy with it and can just listen and not worry about it. and the top is now clear for record albums when i'm doing that.

i have trouble relaxing and just letting the music come to me when something is out of place. i have to act and get that out of my mind.

View attachment 53470 View attachment 53471 View attachment 53472
"I have trouble relaxing and just letting the music come to me when something is out of place." I can totally relate to that! I also agree that it looks better with the server in the rack rather than on top.

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
it's difficult for us non-Extreme owners not to be fan boys... ;)
Agree, was super impressed after Pillium Elektra and I thought digital couldn’t get any better. TBH I was skeptical when I first got it, wondering how much better my digital could get……Before Taiko I spin my vinyl daily, now I spin my vinyl on Sundays only….

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
1) Yes that works fine
2) I’d say leave as is

Happy you’re having fun :)
One or two more question please Emile/Taiko Team.

- Should I rip SACD as DSD64 or upsample it to DSD128? I upsampled all my SACD to DSD128 but knowing from you and my own experience after following your advice that redbook CD sounded better by leaving it as it is now I am starting to wonder if I should do the same to SACD? If so, I have a lot of deleting and re burning to do this week…LOL!! It’s still fun and I am still enjoying it so very much, I just hate deleting and overwriting the SSD, I thought “virgin” SSD should be the best.

- Should I stop music playing through Taiko when burning for absolute optimum result? Or burning while playing music is fine?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
One or two more question please Emile/Taiko Team.

- Should I rip SACD as DSD64 or upsample it to DSD128? I upsampled all my SACD to DSD128 but knowing from you and my own experience after following your advice that redbook CD sounded better by leaving it as it is now I am starting to wonder if I should do the same to SACD? If so, I have a lot of deleting and re burning to do this week…LOL!! It’s still fun and I am still enjoying it so very much, I just hate deleting and overwriting the SSD, I thought “virgin” SSD should be the best.

- Should I stop music playing through Taiko when burning for absolute optimum result? Or burning while playing music is fine?
i looked for information on your Pilium Electra dac; whether it is 'bit-perfect' or an upsampler. could not find any information. nada. just a reference to different filters.

how does it process any file? does it convert everything to a higher rez file always PCM, always dsd, or keep the file native? is it a hybrid dac where it processes each file keeping it native? native meaning the same as it was originally recorded or transferred from tape. you want that or as close to it as you can get.

if your goal is the best sound, then you should research whether your SACD's are PCM based, or pure dsd. the best sounding file will be the native file if your dac is 'bit-perfect'. if it's an upsampler, then it's less predictable but still likely that the native file will sound better.

maybe the best approach would be to do some listening to various versions of files where you have both choices and find out how your dac reacts.

before you decide how to rip SACD's you need to know where you ought to be going. on your favorite SACD's you may want to go to HD Tracks or another source site and buy the native file? or at least consider it. sometimes Quboz has that native file.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwiik

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
"I have trouble relaxing and just letting the music come to me when something is out of place." I can totally relate to that! I also agree that it looks better with the server in the rack rather than on top.
God intended racks to have turntables on top. thus.....it is written...........somewhere....i think. :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing