Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Useful and on topic :)

"killall RoonAppliance" should do the trick. The RoonServer process should automatically restart it.

Thank you very much!!
Where do I have to give in that command?
Can I do this via VNC?
The SK is a black box for music listening for me as I have no clue about Linux :oops:

Sorry for the OT ride

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I had the same experience with roon yesterday :eek:
Funny enough, I was able to play live radio via roon in a different roon zone and when I switched to roon live radio over to the main zone, I could after that also play "normal" music on the main system for a song or two, then again the "Knight Rider".
A re-boot fixed all of this.

But I think we need to differentiate between re-boot and power-off, those are completely different scenarios ;)

And, as I recall hearing, I think the proper re-boot process is to double click off and single click on?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
And, as I recall hearing, I think the proper re-boot process is to double click off and single click on?

that's whaat Emile told me. Something to do with shutting off a video switch IIRC (press the off switch for 2 seconds and release. Then push the switch again long enough for the light to go out (first click, light stays on)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
What I am not understanding is why everyone is rebooting their Extreme to sit through a few songs that apparently sound better after the reboot only to settle back into the state it was before the reboot

Is there some reason why we should care??

I recall years ago where we had a tourmaline thread on WBF that suggested if you use a tourmaline hair dryer and blow it over your record and then play the record it sounds better for a few brief moments. I could never understand why we should care that the something better is all quite temporary

Just leave your Extreme on 24/7, sit back and enjoy the music.Everytime I do, I simply marvel at how good it sounds. Why mess with a good thing

Reactions: sbo6

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Steve,

a few pay close attention to the digital recycle performance change. but others do not.....like me.....and you. it's likely since my digital sessions are a mix of multi-tasking and other variations; so i just am not A/B'ing those moments and focused on it.

not that i have any doubt about these changes happening.

whereas my analog sessions are almost always paying full attention and so i'm more aware of any variation and so adjust my critical listening appropriately....warm things up for optimal listening. even be aware of speed optimization wait time on my belt and idler tt's.

i do appreciate the information about what is being heard. it's data that might help me to understand things i might hear and then be able to sort out cause and effect easier....if i get curious.

Reactions: ctydwn

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
What I am not understanding is why everyone is rebooting their Extreme to sit through a few songs that apparently sound better after the reboot only to settle back into the state it was before the reboot

Is there some reason why we should care??

I recall years ago where we had a tourmaline thread on WBF that suggested if you use a tourmaline hair dryer and blow it over your record and then play the record it sounds better for a few brief moments. I could never understand why we should care that the something better is all quite temporary

Just leave your Extreme on 24/7, sit back and enjoy the music.Everytime I do, I simply marvel at how good it sounds. Why mess with a good thing

just like I prefer to cut my hair or shave to look a bit better then before for short period of time ?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Thank you very much!!
Where do I have to give in that command?
Can I do this via VNC?
The SK is a black box for music listening for me as I have no clue about Linux :oops:

Sorry for the OT ride

I don’t know how the SK works, or if you can even login to the shell, but thats the linux command you’d need to enter :)

Reactions: christoph

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

It’s not everyone, only 2 reports so far. I definately feel it performs worse for around 20 minutes after.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I don’t know how the SK works, or if you can even login to the shell, but thats the linux command you’d need to enter :)
I already tried.
The command was obviously correct but I'm not allowed to perform :rolleyes:
Thank you a lot anyways

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
As a Taiko Extreme novice, pardon me for sharing my amazement with what most of you already know to be true if you have ever listened to an Extreme on a highly resolving system. Put simply, I have never heard digital sound like it does in my system at this point. It is hard to tell what is/are the actual reason(s) for the substantial sonic gains that I am experiencing every day during the past week since the Extreme has been running, even with a painfully slow internet speed initially.

I in essence made three, possibly four changes at one time that made an immediate improvement, but continues to grow dramatically starting on the third day, but have already moved into a realm I did not know existed previously. My Extreme came with about a months worth of burn in and sounded amazing, by my former definition right out of the box. I also inserted a MasterBuilt Ultra UISB cable between my minimally used MSB Reference DAC, since I chose not to listen if I could not use the MB Ultra USB (because it makes that much difference in my system.) Unfortunately, the MB ultra usb would not work for more than 90 minutes, on one occasion, between my MSB DAC and Innuos Zenith SE.

I sent both the SE and the USB to Alma for them to experiment with the USB and the Innuos Statement, which seemed to work just fine, although I never heard the combo because Alma is in San Diego and I live in NJ. Steve Williams had just gotten his Extreme and could not speak about it in anything less than divine terms. The initial lack of effort of Innuos to resolve my SE/MB ultra USB problem did not leave a good impression for me and after all this is my Bucket List System and why should I "compromise" with the last piece, a key piece at that, since I was already four times over budget.

I then spoke to Mike Lavigne, who I have met and heard his system and shared a number of calls since to solicit his opinion.. I very much respect Mike's opinion, plus he has a MSB Select 2 DAC (mine on steroids with 8 ladders instead of 4 in my DAC a Fempto 33 clock instead of my 77 fempto clock) connected via USB (unknown brand and model to his Extreme.

Mike has always been very detailed with me in his opinions and reasons for his personal equipment selections, and thus I believe we have a number of similar listening tastes. It did not hurt that Mike had a Lampi GG 2 before getting the MSB, helping me reaffirm the correctness of choosing the MSB versus the Lampi Pacific because it has a sound/quality unlike any other DAC I have heard. For me that translates into the MSB removed so much of what I thought was part of "Digital" that it helps the sound become more "believable as real".

Back to Mike's opinion about the Extreme versus the Innuos Statement, and he said with a reverence I had never heard from him before, ----He said "the MSB Select 2 fempto 33 is amazing, but that I would be smart to spend the money I was considering to upgrade the MSB Reference to a Select 2 Fempto 33 (45K+), on the increased cost of the Extreme and not mess with the Statement. And then, Mike repeated himself, and said "the Extreme is just that good! Your Bucket List System which is very impressive deserves and Extreme!"
So I ordered the Extreme, still not even having seen one, let alone hear it,

The fourth change did not come into play until the day after I inserted the Extreme. That change was four Center Stage 1.5 footers even though Emile makes a product designed for the same purpose. I have dealt with CS footers since being one of the three beta testers and marveled at their essentially unbelievable contributions and the hassle of a 10-15 day break-in although totally worth it. Once you get use to their contributions, they become automatic add-ons.

I had already gone through 1.5 break-in when I put four of them under my VAC Statement Amp audio chassis and another 4 under the supply chassis. which was much faster 2-5 days than the .8" and 1" footers which take up to 2 weeks, but at least a week.

The improvement was instantaneous and increased with each additional footer and then the second day came and I could not really listen and thus despite my Extreme excitement, Roon played continually without amplification. Day 3 was great, day four even better, etc for about a week.

So what is making me so happy? Clearly it is a synergistic effect of my system and my audio biases.. Most of my system electronics are VAC, which have a sonic signature unlike any other tube audio product. My DAC is SS, but unlike any other I have heard and a perfect synergy with VAC equipment. I already had a full loom of MasterBuilt Ultra IC's, speaker wire and power cords and had a pretty good idea of their contributions, which are in a class by themselves, but the USB is special and took the rest of the loom to a level I did not believe existed,

Then there is the Extreme which is clearly in a realm by itself as any owner will tell you without any solicitation. I already agreed within in 60-90 seconds, but that was just the beginning and I have no idea of what stabilization will sound like or when it will occur (???1500 hours). Emile went through an exhaustive process eliminating any sonic colorations. In fact he focused on removing all non-essential components and operating system code. He then explored anything he could think of to remove and further purify the sound.

And that is what I hear, digital music without much of the sounds I thought were an unseparatable part of digital sound. This cleaned up sound s is so much more believable, my main objective with my Bucket List System. I turns out I have not yet heard a song that I does not sound better on the Extreme and many times, actually better than my Analog side (Bergmann Galder/Odin with ZYX optimum feed into a VAC phono pre).

Most important, I sit in my listening chair for hours at a time just listening to whatever I feel like for up to 5 hours straight thus far. While my speakers are VSA Ultra 9's the masters of emulating reality, thus far I have only heard the digital additions to my system through Endeavor 3 Mk2's made by VSA and designed by Leif Swanson who will when possible fly to my house to repair my damaged Ultra 9 from a weird current surge that took out the 1000 watt plate amp and 15" subwoofer of my right speaker. Earlier today Leif, ever the humble one, said that his network design uses the 15" sub as part of foundation of the entire sound of the speaker at all frequencies, and thus any problem in that part not the network (including drivers) impacts the total sound of the speaker to the point that the E3 Mk2's sound better than the last time I heard the 9's, which are in a totally different league.

I am almost there and will be totally there when Leif arrives when the Shelter In Place phase passes. I am already so far ahead of what I have dreamed about.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Russ,

glad, but not surprised, you are happy about the Extreme. i know you have worked hard to get your amazing 'bucket-list' system all in line to just kick back and enjoy. agree the Extreme/MSB is a great combo......i sure love mine. and your system really did deserve an Extreme.:)

congrats and very happy for you!

Mike

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Russ,

glad, but not surprised, you are happy about the Extreme. i know you have worked hard to get your amazing 'bucket-list' system all in line to just kick back and enjoy. agree the Extreme/MSB is a great combo......i sure love mine. and your system really did deserve an Extreme.:)

congrats and very happy for you!

Mike
Mike,

People seem to personalize their personal Extreme Experiences and I can understand when I see how it has impacted my listening patterns.

I have been sitting in my chair for the past 6 hours letting Roon take me on a tour. I know I am preaching to the choir, but the Extreme so impacts the music experience that it stands by itself and is much more interesting and involving compared to listening on just a high end system.

Thanks so much for your advice, it was what pushed me in the purchase direction, which I felt I had to do by my retirement date of 4/30 and leave no debt (one of the two parameters for the system design since I am going to take a 2/3 pay cut and don't want to have much if any debt because I own my toys. Beside my strict adherence to this provision makes it easier for me to ignore that I am at 4 times projected budget for the system, but I have a really fine personal system and its close to my boat!

Having said that give Chris Rhea The Road To Hell is a great listen if you want some good shit kicker dance around music. The Road to Hell parts 1 & 2 and especially Texas are wonderful at reasonable to high volume with great bass.

russ

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
A visual analogy on your television set would be:
-Intel Xeon scalable 10 core as a reference, controls to neutral
-AMD Epyc +1 on the brightness control -1 on contrast and +2 on white level or on backlight intensity on a LED screen
-AMD Threadripper +2 on the brightness control -1 on contrast and +2 on white level
-Intel Xeon scalable 12 core +1 on white level
-Intel Xeon scalable 8 core, controls to neutral, but reduced staging/dynamics
-Intel i7-7700K (EVO) +1 on brightness, +1 on white level, similar staging/dynamics to the Xeon 8 core

I was wondering about the Intel Xeon Silver 4114 (10 cores) vs. the Intel Xeon Silver 4214 Processor (12 cores). Given that the 12 cores CPU was released after the Taiko Extreme, I was wondering if you were planning to switch the Extreme to the 12 core Xeon CPUs. I was wondering if the Extreme would benefit from the extra cores/threads, cache, and higher turbo frequency. But the above comment suggests that you prefer the 10 core CPU for its neutralness. And that's very interesting. I wonder if with further tweaks, the Extreme can sound better with the 12 core CPUs. After all the Extreme has been 'extremely' tweaked for the Xeon Silver 4114.

It's not a secret that I am trying to build a DIY server with the same motherboard and CPUs. Hence my extreme interest in some of these topics. I posted about it in another forum. Everything else (including OS, NIC, USB card, etc.) would be completely different but those two off-the-shelf components would be the same (well I may end up with the 4214 CPUs). I managed to procure custom industrial grade RDIMM RAM for this build. And I am working on a state of the art high current multi rail custom power supply that would have plenty of overhead even with those power hungry CPUs. I just wanted to do a full disclosure why I am asking some questions here.

BTW, I have absolutely no illusions that my DIY build would get even close to the Taiko Extreme, so don't take this the wrong way. I would be crazy if I had such ambition. The level of engineering in the Extreme is out of this world and unreachable. It's my hobby, and I do it for fun. To be honest, I have spent more on experiments than the MSRP of the Extreme. So after a few more experiments I have planned, I may just get an Extreme myself (and find another hobby :)). One thing I know for sure is that I cannot build a DIY server of the level of the Extreme.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I was wondering about the Intel Xeon Silver 4114 (10 cores) vs. the Intel Xeon Silver 4214 Processor (12 cores). Given that the 12 cores CPU was released after the Taiko Extreme, I was wondering if you were planning to switch the Extreme to the 12 core Xeon CPUs.

We switched to the 4210 when it was released which "sounds" identical to the 4114. The 4214 does not have the same midrange contrast levels.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
They are 1 x 5A 250V Slow Blow and 1 x 100ma 250V Slow Blow for the standby power (you don't really need to change this one) for each power supply.
This Covid-19 isolation period is a great time to catch up on some long-delayed TLC for our beloved audio systems; gently rubbing 95% isopropyl alcohol to remove oxidative residue from both signal and power conducting surfaces, followed by some Caig treatment via cotton buds are the obvious ones. The other rather labor-intensive one for me which I had been procrastinating because of the very confined rack space (requiring ample preparatory work to scratch-proof the arm and wrist-stressing extraction and repositioning process) is the replacement of the AC power fuses in my MSB Technology Select II DAC’s mono powerbases, which I’m happy to have completed ! The two SR Orange fuses which I bought months ago from VH Audio during their “3 for the price of 2” Christmas sale have now commenced their 300-hour break in process. The results have been really good from the onset, but they’re now going through their expected gyrations, initially sounding a bit tilted towards the mid/highs, but otherwise very dynamic and harmonically rich, characteristics which I deem to be highly desirable evidence of deep reservoirs of instantly-available squeaky-clean sub-130dB-noise-spectrum DC.

It's actually quite rare to actually SEEING objective data which validates the DC output as being "noise free" across a broad spectrum, but here's a glimpse of the DC output from a selection of third-party power supplies designed to power audiophile components:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...ps-by-farad-power-supplies.29931/#post-625247

Exactly how the 5A fuses influences the final sound is a mystery, inviting experimentation with other fuse variants, one which I’m unlikely to pursue because of the practical difficulties. However, it's very telling that the designer of Farad's Power3 offers the SR Orange as an upgrade option, which by the way I took, along with the AC input connector upgrade to Furutech, to power my SOtm USBultra.

5F762A76-E2BE-4B58-8AB3-7B1223B746FD.jpeg 95E19F51-4DD3-4C3D-A6EA-FC917144D287.jpeg 75FCAA51-2CE4-47A4-A072-D69BD2D8C0A8.jpeg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing