Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

drjimwillie

Mar 26, 2020
The sentence: Feed all stuff from one source. How did you interpret that and what did you do?

Will you please elaborate on the steps for adding another router after your Fios router? Did it change the IP address for your server and other audio gear?

Are you using the Optical Module?

Thank you

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
The sentence: Feed all stuff from one source. How did you interpret that and what did you do?

>>>>I can't find this sentence exactly BUT up until recently I had one Verizon Fios Router. One lan port was connected to the Extreme via copper. I had prior used the Startech FO modules, but going back and forth I preferred the copper. They sounded different and in my room/systems/ears I preferred the copper. Other systems/room/ears might prefer the FO set ups.

I also had another lan port feeding an AirPort Extreme that also had outputs to various hardwired devices.

Another port went to a different server than the Extreme. Another port went to another hardwired audio device.

What I did now, was take one of the ports from the Verizon Fios router and send it to the Edge router. Now the Edge router, which is acting like a switch is dedicated to the Extreme and is not being affected by all of the traffic on the Verizon router.

Will you please elaborate on the steps for adding another router after your Fios router? Did it change the IP address for your server and other audio gear?

>>>>I only have experience with the Ubiquiti Edge router. Here is a tutorial on how to add a second router.

https://itstillworks.com/set-second-router-verizon-fios-6127815.html

With the Edge router you first have to connect the Edge router to a PC with a hardwire ethernet connection. Then you first have to upgrade the Edge FW. It comes with 1.0XXX and you upgrade it to 2.0XXX. The 2.0 Version is on the Ubiquiti site to download.

You long on to the Edge router from the PC, download the FW and then there is a set up wizard in the main menu of the Edge user interface. It got a little dicey for me, as you have to change the IP address of the Edge router so it does not conflict with the Verizon router. Sometimes you have to reboot the routers or disconnect the Verizon router so you can access the Edge router.

This the part that "got me" the first time I tried this. I got so frustrated I returned the Edge router. 3 days later ordered another one and actually got it all done in an hour, but by that time I had been through two days of "torture". Again, that was just my ineptness.

Here is a link from the Ubiquiti site regarding setting up the Edge router and accessing it's user menu.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002531728-EdgeRouter-Beginners-Guide-to-EdgeRouter
Are you using the Optical Module?

>>>>>I have in the past and as I said for ???? I preferred the copper after going back and forth. Although when I was using the FO I was running a 50' run. When I smithed back to copper it was a 2's run. That whole story is back a few pages on this thread.

Thank you

Noted above...

btw, everyone's network is going to be different. As a few have said above they do NOT use Verizon Fios for TV phone etc or have those applications connected to the Verizon Router, I did.

If someone has a very simple configuration just like Dminches does he was able to just replace the Verizon Fios router with the Edge router without doing anything other than changing out the modems.

Last edited:

octaviars

Mar 2, 2020

Jpowell

Dec 23, 2011
You should call SGC, I think there is just something wrong with the site link.
I think you two may be talking at cross purposes here, but I know I'm confused. I also looked at the pull-down menu and it clearly shows everything from 5V to 15V as options (and the product is clearly labeled as being available in the 5V-15V range). But here is where I get confused: the Datasheet for the EdgeRouter X SFP shows the following:

Max. Power Consumption 5W Max.
Total PoE Output 50W @ 24V PoE
Output Passive 24V (Pins 4, 5+; 7, :cool:
Power Input 24VDC, 2.5A
Power Adapter (Included) Power Supply External AC/DC Adapter Supported Voltage Range 9 to 26VDC

I'm no electrician, but it would appear to me that the device would like to have a 24V PS, yet Rhapsody is recommending a 12V LPS, correct? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious--or maybe a good 12V PS is all that it requires for this single-minded purpose?

BTW, Rhapsody, I'm considering adding the EdgeRouter in the same configuration as you've got (between the Verizon Router (which I use for all manner of purposes in the house generally--including the cable connection for tv programming), so I might take you up on that offer to 'walk me through it' if need be, though it sounds fairly straightforward. We shall see when I get it....

Reactions: ctydwn

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil

octaviars

Mar 2, 2020
I'm no electrician, but it would appear to me that the device would like to have a 24V PS, yet Rhapsody is recommending a 12V LPS, correct? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious--or maybe a good 12V PS is all that it requires for this single-minded purpose?

You only need a 24V PSU when you use PoE on any of the RJ45 if you like me just use it as a regular switch then you can power it with anything from 9-26V so 12V will work ok.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
You only need a 24V PSU when you use PoE on any of the RJ45 if you like me just use it as a regular switch then you can power it with anything from 9-26V so 12V will work ok.

Scared the heck out of me:)

I went back and looked at this spec sheet and it shows the X uses 12V, but the XFP can use 24V with PoE as Octaviars just stated.

https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/edgemax/EdgeRouter_X_DS.pdf

I got lucky because I know that I looked at the X specs instead of the XFP when I ordered the LPS at 12V, which does work fine.

Reactions: joaovieira

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I think you two may be talking at cross purposes here, but I know I'm confused. I also looked at the pull-down menu and it clearly shows everything from 5V to 15V as options (and the product is clearly labeled as being available in the 5V-15V range). But here is where I get confused: the Datasheet for the EdgeRouter X SFP shows the following:

Max. Power Consumption 5W Max.
Total PoE Output 50W @ 24V PoE
Output Passive 24V (Pins 4, 5+; 7, :cool:
Power Input 24VDC, 2.5A
Power Adapter (Included) Power Supply External AC/DC Adapter Supported Voltage Range 9 to 26VDC

BTW, Rhapsody, I'm considering adding the EdgeRouter in the same configuration as you've got (between the Verizon Router (which I use for all manner of purposes in the house generally--including the cable connection for tv programming), so I might take you up on that offer to 'walk me through it' if need be, though it sounds fairly straightforward. We shall see when I get it....

Just let me know if/when you get the Edge router. I can probably walk you through it on the phone or I can jump on your computer with TeamView and show you the navigation that I used.

Lot's of time, it's not like any of us are going anywhere right now:)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Talk about confused.....I just realized I have not connected the LPS to the Edge router yet. I have the LPS from SGC running on my Verizon router. I just ordered the second SGC LPS to run with the Edge router. BUT it sounds like the 12V version, with me not using PoE will work fine with 12V....whew:0)

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF

without PoE and running at 12V, do you have any idea what the current requirements are for 12V PSU?

Jpowell

Dec 23, 2011
Just let me know if/when you get the Edge router. I can probably walk you through it on the phone or I can jump on your computer with TeamView and show you the navigation that I used.

Lot's of time, it's not like any of us are going anywhere right now:)
Thanks, Rhapsody. Will do.

Reactions: Rhapsody

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Here is one of the YouTube videos describing how to set up the Edge Router.

octaviars

Mar 2, 2020
Yes @cat6man I did measure current draw at different voltages and at 12V it draws around 0,3A.

I use two RJ45 one input from fiber converter ISP, one RJ45 to my main switch that supplies the house and the SFP fiber is used to run fiber to my etherREGEN.

If you use all five RJ45 you might see a slight increase in current draw not by much so I think a good 12V PSU with 1A will be good enough. I use one of the LT3054 rails on my HD Plex and that is 2A and that works fine.

Reactions: Rhapsody

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Yes @cat6man I did measure current draw at different voltages and at 12V it draws around 0,3A.

I use two RJ45 one input from fiber converter ISP, one RJ45 to my main switch that supplies the house and the SFP fiber is used to run fiber to my etherREGEN.

If you use all five RJ45 you might see a slight increase in current draw not by much so I think a good 12V PSU with 1A will be good enough. I use one of the LT3054 rails on my HD Plex and that is 2A and that works fine.

thanks. i'll only use 2 rj45 as well, one from main switch that supplies the house (24 port netgear) and one to feed etherREGEN (optical out for music)

just noticed that i have about 18 different ac plugs in my basement space command control room with router, 3x switches, 2x fiber converters, 3x NAS (one backup for music, one video server, one family server), 3x usb HDD, 2x HDhomerun tv tuners, sageTV server/NUC

Last edited:

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
I have the main router about 40 ft away from my audio room. Connecting to the audio room I have ethernet cat6 cable and fiber cable.
So I have two options to connect the new Edge router: use fiber or ethernet.
to use fiber I have to put an ethernet/fiber converter close to the main router.
to use ethernet just connect the edge router on the wall RJ 45 female and my ethernet audio cable to the SGM Evo.

Would anyone suggest the best way? In the case of using fiber, what is the SFP gear recommended?

thanks

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Thank you for your elaborate reports Russ!
I'm waiting for this damn lock down to pass Emile. I've been on pins and needles to get to a couple different Extreme owners houses to get to experience this. Can't wait

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm waiting for this damn lock down to pass Emile. I've been on pins and needles to get to a couple different Extreme owners houses to get to experience this. Can't wait
I'm closest to you

Reactions: Leif S

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I have the main router about 40 ft away from my audio room. Connecting to the audio room I have ethernet cat6 cable and fiber cable.
So I have two options to connect the new Edge router: use fiber or ethernet.
to use fiber I have to put an ethernet/fiber converter close to the main router.
to use ethernet just connect the edge router on the wall RJ 45 female and my ethernet audio cable to the SGM Evo.

Would anyone suggest the best way? In the case of using fiber, what is the SFP gear recommended?

thanks

I don't think there is a "best" way.

My experience has shown it is best to try both (FO and copper) and see which one sounds better to your ears. In my set up(s) the FO and the copper sounded different. The great part is you can do this fairly inexpensively.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Thank you, Bob!
I will test.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing