Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

wil

Jul 22, 2015
i've messed with boutique fuses in the Extreme, a few spendy ones, a friend sent me a nice one to try. they seemed to make a very marginal performance uptick......'seemed to'.

however; where i live i get power outages from time to time, nothing too bad. but EVERY time i got a power outage each boutique fuse blew......EVERY time!!! $$$'s go poof! :confused:

stock fuse has never blew once. lots of stuff going on in the Extreme. no more fuse experimentation for me. i have a few 'special' fuses in my system in few spots, that have been there for almost 10 years with zero issues. so it's not my system/power grid particularly.
I heard Herb Reichert say in an interview that if something "seems to" or "maybe" has an impact -- it doesn't. Sounds wise to me and has been my limited experience with fuses. But there are now $10K fuses being marketed.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
When I switch to other than the stock fuses I always choose a higher value and they never get blown up...I have never noticed that this has a negative effect on sound since the fuse has a positive effect may be this compensates....just a few thoughts...

The problem with that is that the fuse has that rating for a very specific reason. Suppose an internal component fails creating an electrical short. The fuse is rated to reach a temperature and “blow” before internal components can heat up to reach ignition temperatures. They are there to protect against fire. Even a 20% higher rated fuse would exceed the power the transformer can supply to heat up internal malfunctioning components and therefor it would then facilitate this doom scenario.

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
But if you use a higher rated fuse and you get hit with lightning or whatever you might lose your Extreme if the fuse isn’t taken out first. I think what you’re doing might be flirting with the devil. Fuses are rated in components for a reason so why choose one with a higher value
Lightning is not a very good example. If you get hit with lightning, the fuse will like not save you. Certainly the difference between a 4A and 5A fuse is not big enough to stop a lightning.

The problem with that is that the fuse has that rating for a very specific reason. Suppose an internal component fails creating an electrical short. The fuse is rated to reach a temperature and “blow” before internal components can heat up to reach ignition temperatures. They are there to protect against fire. Even a 20% higher rated fuse would exceed the power the transformer can supply to heat up internal malfunctioning components and therefor it would then facilitate this doom scenario.
That's exactly it. That's why changing fuses with different values voids the warranty on most equipment.

But there are now $10K fuses being marketed.
Well, if you have one of those, you may want the Extreme to fail before the fuse . So, yes, make sure you protect the fuse.

Are these routers Wifi only, or can they be used simply as cable ethernet routers? (I don't have wifi in my audio space.).

And, can anyone comment on what makes these routers better for audio than the Edge router?
I have both in my network and prefer the Edge router. YMMV (especially with network tweaks).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Lightning is not a very good example. If you get hit with lightning, the fuse will like not save you. Certainly the difference between a 4A and 5A fuse is not big enough to stop a lightning.

That's exactly it. That's why changing fuses with different values voids the warranty on most equipment.

Well, if you have one of those, you may want the Extreme to fail before the fuse . So, yes, make sure you protect the fuse.

I have both in my network and prefer the Edge router. YMMV (especially with network tweaks).
My point although not well made is precisely the point you and Emile are making. I would never put a fuse in that is rated higher than the component demands

Muni

Sep 12, 2021
But if you use a higher rated fuse and you get hit with lightning or whatever you might lose your Extreme if the fuse isn’t taken out first. I think what you’re doing might be flirting with the devil. Fuses are rated in components for a reason so why choose one with a higher value
well I do not intend to use another fuse in the extreme...

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
That’s a very exciting update Emile!
Regarding the router piece, have you experimented with using a second Extreme as a router? Somewhat of a .. um extreme measure but I bet you could run pfsense on it.

I use a 1U 8 core server with pfsense and a 10G card as my router, with a brocade ICX 6610 switch for 1G, 10G and 40G connections. Though hard to do easy listening comparisons…
I did tons of expetiments and found pfsense to be very promising Option,
would you mind sharing the settings of your router with me ?
you can pm me. Thank you.

I have ordered Netgate 6100 as it was the only one with very high processing power and passive cooling .
unfotunate still waiting as there are no parts ….

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Luxman D10X

We have installed a second Luxman D10X and are getting good feedback on the units sound quality from both happy owners. This Luxman DAC uses the new kid on the block Rohm MUS ICT Chip in dual mono configuration.

What's interesting is the clear trend we are seeing that as the DAC's have lower EMI/RFI noise floor, the sonic difference the Music Server makes gets bigger.

This DAC has been added to the Taiko USB Driver compatibility list

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Luxman D10X

We have installed a second Luxman D10X and are getting good feedback on the units sound quality from both happy owners. This Luxman DAC uses the new kid on the block Rohm MUS ICT Chip in dual mono configuration.

What's interesting is the clear trend we are seeing that as the DAC's have lower EMI/RFI noise floor, the sonic difference the Music Server makes gets bigger.

This DAC has been added to the Taiko USB Driver compatibility list
I’m very happy to with my luxman d10x.a phenomenal player.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I'll have the Luxman D-08u. It is a fantastic DAC, but from what I read the d10x surpasses it.

I'm trading the Luxman today. A new EMM DAC will take its place. A EMM Transport is coming as well, but at a later date.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Dear Emile
How are your Router tests?
I saw that after my discoveries with router testing and gigantic variability of the sonic results you gave it a chance and found the big opportunity to create something for all of us.
I can't be happier you will dedicate little bit of yout time to create again something special for all of us.

I agree that you are the only one of us to try to turn one of your extreme servers into router with pfsense softwere and listen to this combo.
I am quite sure it will sound amazing.

That could be the ultimate Router sution and if it creates magic we all might need to start saving money again.

From my testing of Routers it looks the better hardwere the better the result is.
So in short it is exactly same as we experienced with music servers that can be 1 core and still playing ok , but it is so much better with 10 core or 20.
The same with type and size of memory.
It 8s essential for router.

What would you recommend as a temprary solution befor Taiko Router arrival ?
Xeon based supermicro router with pfsense ?

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
@Kris Sorry meant to reply to your questions earlier but didn't have time!

My pfsense router is was not really bought with sound quality in mind. Though there is no reason that optimizations which we have learnt about in the computer domain cannot be applied here. My pfsense is running the C2758 with 32GB ECC RAM, with Chelsio T520-CR card.

Obviously the "extreme" would be to use the Extreme for this, but i could easily up the ante on my pfsense by moving to a good LPSU, using optane boot drives, and a external clock etc.

Reactions: Kris

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
Also, the nice thing is that you can drop whatever you want into your pfsense router as it is just another PC.

Easy targets - industrial APACER ECC RAM, use JCAT NET or FEMTO network cards, optane, clock replacements, power etc.

Though i don't foresee that I have time or energy to do this so it is up to you Kris...

Reactions: Kris

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
@Kris Sorry meant to reply to your questions earlier but didn't have time!

My pfsense router is was not really bought with sound quality in mind. Though there is no reason that optimizations which we have learnt about in the computer domain cannot be applied here. My pfsense is running the C2758 with 32GB ECC RAM, with Chelsio T520-CR card.

Obviously the "extreme" would be to use the Extreme for this, but i could easily up the ante on my pfsense by moving to a good LPSU, using optane boot drives, and a external clock etc.

Thank you !
So as far as I undestand you are very happy with this setup ?
And this is better than anything routing upto around 500 Euro ?

My testing gets me to smmilar results, The better equipement I pick the better it is.
Wanted somethibng that will accept the 12V as I have top class supplys to use.

But if the use of 2 JCAT cards with top MOBO and processor will do the job I think it might be worth to try.
I wish I can try it and if it works I could spend a lot to get this to the top spec.

I think I have everything else already on the top level , but there is digital harshness I cannot get totally out from my system .
I think this might be due to the router being not as good as it should.

Could you please be so kind to list hypothetical top specyfication you think might be a top solution ?
I mean the complete list of parts for router of your dreams ?

Thank you

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Kris,

If you wanted to implement this concept to the “Extreme” you could mount additional network cards and even a wifi card into an Extreme. You could subsequently split traffic handling and/or tasks over its dual CPUs ;)

I am investigating router options, though less “extreme” then the above example.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Hi Kris,

If you wanted to implement this concept to the “Extreme” you could mount additional network cards and even a wifi card into an Extreme. You could subsequently split traffic handling and/or tasks over its dual CPUs ;)

I am investigating router options, though less “extreme” then the above example.
Ha. That would be something !
Limitless option of future softwere improvements , just like extreme.
Just try it Emile if you can please.
I would love to know if sky is a limit here in Routers as well....

Again I think all the tricks we did over past 15 years in servers
apply to the Router.

I had no idea how hard the router works sometimes and that basic firewall
Might influance the SQ so hard as the extere heavy traffic.

Looks like Seatrope has the most advanced router here and did not stop where is he now.
He wants to invest more in that.
This clearly tells me it is all very important and meets my router test conclusions .
I was checking them up to 500 euro price point only , so for Seatrope is a much lower level.
I wish I can pull most of knowledge here from all users so you can try to create ultimate Router.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
@Kris , did you try an ubiquity unify yet, like the cheap one with integrated wi-fi I posted about earlier? They perform much better then routers from Netgear, Asus etc. You can easily create a seperate network with it, hook it up to your home network but only connect the Extreme and your Ipad to the ubiquity. There’s also a Dreammachine version with wi-fi (so not the pro) which I have not tested yet. Anyway this is an ~euro 150 experiment and it performs surprisingly well.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
@Kris , did you try an ubiquity unify yet, like the cheap one with integrated wi-fi I posted about earlier? They perform much better then routers from Netgear, Asus etc. You can easily create a seperate network with it, hook it up to your home network but only connect the Extreme and your Ipad to the ubiquity. There’s also a Dreammachine version with wi-fi (so not the pro) which I have not tested yet. Anyway this is an ~euro 150 experiment and it performs surprisingly well.
Planning to get this one.
I agree asus , netgear is not my cup of tea.
I was going to get the dream machine with. Build in wifi but I found the wifi very harmful so I prefer to use a separate access point, power it with LPS and isolate it with network isolators / sfp / totaldac cable .

But is the ubiquiti you posted simmilar sounding to the DM pro version you have ?
It's a big price difference

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing