Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
General update:

As most of you are probably are aware of there are global parts (chips) and raw material (aluminium and copper) shortages affecting lead times.

This affects our operations in various ways.

The lead times on new Extreme servers are reasonably under control now, we're managing to keep this at around 8 weeks.

We are redesigning a network card and switch combination as an upgrade to the Extreme, we have secured enough parts for these redesigns to launch in about 6 months. The current designs would only cover a part of our existing customer base with further availability extending all the way to 2023 (!). We are now also working on a router but we have not found enough parts availability to launch that in the same timeframe, it is at least a year out right now unless we find a supply of more readily available parts.

We have been experimenting with achieving performance consistency over a multitude of network setups.

WARNING, the next piece of text is anecdotical only to serve as an example, we do not currently have the manpower to provide support for this type of setup for all of our customers:

A promising setup is centred around a relatively cheap Ubiquiti Amplifi Mesh Router (this router sounds better then frequently used alternatives like Asus, Netgear etc) : https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/amplifi/products/amplifi-mesh-router . The way this works is you connect the "WAN" port (4) in the below attached screenshot to your ISP modem/router, then connect the Extreme to one of the LAN ports (3), and connect your Ipad to the Ubiquiti wireless network. This creates a separate network for your audio devices.

ubiquiti.JPG

This type of setup so far appears to give consistent results across multiple network setups. Interestingly, if you add more devices to this network you will hear it, I can hear an impact from connecting my Iphone to this network in addition to my Ipad for example. This experiment indicates the router having a larger impact then previously suspected and switches being more of a band-aid (adding switches to this setup still alters the sound, but more obviously changes it rather then improving it). Hence our decision to embark on a router design project. The switch we are launching in 6 months has been redesigned with some functionality integrated to account for this, and something unique not currently available, details on that we will not disclose until actual launch, so it should not be obsolete by the time we have this router project finished.

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
XMDS update:

A lot of progress has been made on XDMS. We have achieved successful native integration of a multitude of streaming services, Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer, Amazon etc. We are currently working on Spotify connect and on a Roon to XDMS playlist conversion engine. We are aiming for a before Christmas initial release, but no hard promises :)

USB driver update:

The support list is still growing, we have now added support for the following DACs:

-Analog Domain DAC1

-APL DSD-MR

-APL DSD-SR

-Anthem STR

-Aries Cerat Helene

-Aries Cerat Kassandra

-Aqua Formula xHD V2.0

-Aqua La Scala

-B&O Beolab 50

-Boulder 2120

-Bricasti MDxx

-Brinkmann Nyquist

-CH Precision

-DCS Rossini

-DCS Rossini Player

-DCS Vivaldi

-DCS Vivaldi Up-sampler

-DCS Vivaldi One

-Denafrips Gaia

-Denafrips Terminator Plus

-EMM Labs DAC2V2

-EMM Labs DAC2X

-Esoteric Grandioso D1X

-Esoteric K-01X

-Esoteric K-01XD

-Esoteric K-03

-Gustard X26 Pro

-Holo Audio May

-Ideon Absolute

-Lampizator (all models with a jlsounds interface)

-LH Davinci MKII

-Meitner XDS1 V3

-MSB Pro USB

-MSB V / Quad

-Mutec MC-3+

-Nagra HD-X

-Nagra Tube Dac

-Pilium Elektra

-Resolution Audio Cantata 3.0

-Sennheiser HE-1

-Singxer SU-6

-SoTM dx-usbHD

-Soulution 330

-Soulution 760

-T+A 3100 series

-Thrax Maximinus

-Totaldac

-Trinity 1st gen model

-Trinity Reference

-Vinnie Rossi L2

-Vitus

-Weiss DAC-501

-Ypsilon 1000

Last edited:

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
That’s a very exciting update Emile!
Regarding the router piece, have you experimented with using a second Extreme as a router? Somewhat of a .. um extreme measure but I bet you could run pfsense on it.

I use a 1U 8 core server with pfsense and a 10G card as my router, with a brocade ICX 6610 switch for 1G, 10G and 40G connections. Though hard to do easy listening comparisons…

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
That’s a very exciting update Emile!
Regarding the router piece, have you experimented with using a second Extreme as a router? Somewhat of a .. um extreme measure but I bet you could run pfsense on it.

I use a 1U 8 core server with pfsense and a 10G card as my router, with a brocade ICX 6610 switch for 1G, 10G and 40G connections. Though hard to do easy listening comparisons…

I have not, may try for kicks.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Hello everybody.

Today we have a few more show photos to share.

First at the Capital Audiofest 2021, hosted by Fred of Destination Sound Group, @LampiNA

View attachment 84513

View attachment 84514

View attachment 84515

Thank you for sharing these pictures, Emile! Both rooms turned out phenomenally and in no small part due to the contribution of the Taiko Extreme.

Some heads were scratched at the pairing of the Baltic 3 with the Taiko Extreme in our AudioNec room, as it is not a traditional retail pricing ration, but once music was played--they got it!

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
A promising setup is centred around a relatively cheap Ubiquiti Amplifi Mesh Router (this router sounds better then frequently used alternatives like Asus, Netgear etc) : https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/amplifi/products/amplifi-mesh-router . The way this works is you connect the "WAN" port (4) in the below attached screenshot to your ISP modem/router, then connect the Extreme to one of the LAN ports (3), and connect your Ipad to the Ubiquiti wireless network. This creates a separate network for your audio devices.

View attachment 84565

This type of setup so far appears to give consistent results across multiple network setups. Interestingly, if you add more devices to this network you will hear it, I can hear an impact from connecting my Iphone to this network in addition to my Ipad for example. This experiment indicates the router having a larger impact then previously suspected and switches being more of a band-aid (adding switches to this setup still alters the sound, but more obviously changes it rather then improving it). Hence our decision to embark on a router design project. The switch we are launching in 6 months has been redesigned with some functionality integrated to account for this, and something unique not currently available, details on that we will not disclose until actual launch, so it should not be obsolete by the time we have this router project finished.

For our US members -- has anyone found a vendor that actually has the AFI-R router in stock? I found a couple with the mesh kit (router and two satellites, at double the price of the router itself), but so far haven't found the AFI HD router by itself.

Thanks for any leads!

Steve Z

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
For our US members -- has anyone found a vendor that actually has the AFI-R router in stock? I found a couple with the mesh kit (router and two satellites, at double the price of the router itself), but so far haven't found the AFI HD router by itself.
You’ll pay full retail but the UI store provides the ability to be alerted when the product is back in stock. I’ve taken advantage of this a few times for some of the UI early adopter product. Shipping is quick once you are able to place your order.

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
Hi all, excuse me if this is a noob question but I am anxiously awaiting for the arrival of my Taiko Extreme and I was just wondering about what is the best way to burn CD into Taiko Extreme as I see no CD reader on the Extreme? Thanks

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi all, excuse me if this is a noob question but I am anxiously awaiting for the arrival of my Taiko Extreme and I was just wondering about what is the best way to burn CD into Taiko Extreme as I see no CD reader on the Extreme? Thanks

Hi Uwiik,

There are several ways to do that.

1) Rip on a pc or mac and subsequently copy it to the Extreme over the network, this is what most of our users do.
2) Rip on a pc or mac with the target set to the Extreme's network share, then you don't have to copy it over after ripping.
3) Attach a USB drive to the Extreme, install cd-ripping software like dBpoweramp on the Extreme, connect to the Extreme desktop and rip directly to the Extreme's internal storage. dBpoweramp also has a batch ripper: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/batch-ripper.htm . This allows you to automatically rip a whole series of cd's in one go, it will auto eject after completion after which you can insert the next CD etc.

Naturally we can guide you in setting up your preferred method.

Reactions: ashandger and Uwiik

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
Hi Uwiik,

There are several ways to do that.

1) Rip on a pc or mac and subsequently copy it to the Extreme over the network, this is what most of our users do.
2) Rip on a pc or mac with the target set to the Extreme's network share, then you don't have to copy it over after ripping.
3) Attach a USB drive to the Extreme, install cd-ripping software like dBpoweramp on the Extreme, connect to the Extreme desktop and rip directly to the Extreme's internal storage. dBpoweramp also has a batch ripper: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/batch-ripper.htm . This allows you to automatically rip a whole series of cd's in one go, it will auto eject after completion after which you can insert the next CD etc.

Naturally we can guide you in setting up your preferred method.
Thanks for the explanation, it’s crystal clear now.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

rkraanen

Nov 13, 2021
Love the pictures. What an amazing music server. Does it get any better than this? It can never be much right. Would love to hear it once. I will look for a place to listen in The Netherlands.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
I've heard several of these and one in a friend's setup as recently as a few days ago. They are the real deal as the saying goes.
Best server-based audio experience out there IMHO and I am extremely critical of design elements for what amounts to high-end
supercomputing servers given my background and industry, and more importantly, the sound of the end units.

Last edited:

rocco1113

Feb 7, 2020
XMDS update:

A lot of progress has been made on XDMS. We have achieved successful native integration of a multitude of streaming services, Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer, Amazon etc. We are currently working on Spotify connect and on a Roon to XDMS playlist conversion engine. We are aiming for a before Christmas initial release, but no hard promises :)

USB driver update:

The support list is still growing, we have now added support for the following DACs:

-Analog Domain DAC1

-APL DSD-MR

-APL DSD-SR

-Anthem STR

-Aries Cerat Helene

-Aries Cerat Kassandra

-Aqua Formula xHD V2.0

-Aqua La Scala

-B&O Beolab 50

-Boulder 2120

-Bricasti MDxx

-Brinkmann Nyquist

-CH Precision

-DCS Rossini

-DCS Rossini Player

-DCS Vivaldi

-DCS Vivaldi Up-sampler

-DCS Vivaldi One

-Denafrips Gaia

-Denafrips Terminator Plus

-EMM Labs DAC2V2

-EMM Labs DAC2X

-Esoteric Grandioso D1X

-Esoteric K-01X

-Esoteric K-01XD

-Esoteric K-03

-Gustard X26 Pro

-Holo Audio May

-Ideon Absolute

-Lampizator (all models with a jlsounds interface)

-LH Davinci MKII

-Meitner XDS1 V3

-MSB Pro USB

-MSB V / Quad

-Mutec MC-3+

-Nagra HD-X

-Nagra Tube Dac

-Pilium Elektra

-Resolution Audio Cantata 3.0

-Sennheiser HE-1

-Singxer SU-6

-SoTM dx-usbHD

-Soulution 330

-Soulution 760

-T+A 3100 series

-Thrax Maximinus

-Totaldac

-Trinity 1st gen model

-Trinity Reference

-Vinnie Rossi L2

-Vitus

-Weiss DAC-501

-Ypsilon 1000
That is great news.

Does XDMS support :
1. Esoteric Grandioso K1x SACDP / DAC ?
2.SGM EVO ?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
That is great news.

Does XDMS support :
1. Esoteric Grandioso K1x SACDP / DAC ?
2.SGM EVO ?

Hi rocco1113,

We will make a single CPU version of XDMS available for the EVO. It will work with any DAC which has a vendor supplied ASIO driver, that includes the Esoteric Grandioso K1x. The proprietary Taiko USB driver however will not be available for the EVO, it only works with high-end Intel XEON CPUs, the EVO uses an Intel core i7 CPU.

rkraanen

Nov 13, 2021
I've heard several of these and one in a friend's setup as recently as a few days ago. They are the real deal as the saying goes.
Best server-based audio experience out there IMHO and I am extremely critical of design elements for what amounts to high-end
supercomputing servers given my background and industry, and more importantly, the sound of the end units.
I would love to hear it in my setup which is already extreme. You made me very curious. Have great weekend

Muni

Sep 12, 2021
i've messed with boutique fuses in the Extreme, a few spendy ones, a friend sent me a nice one to try. they seemed to make a very marginal performance uptick......'seemed to'.

however; where i live i get power outages from time to time, nothing too bad. but EVERY time i got a power outage each boutique fuse blew......EVERY time!!! $$$'s go poof! :confused:

stock fuse has never blew once. lots of stuff going on in the Extreme. no more fuse experimentation for me. i have a few 'special' fuses in my system in few spots, that have been there for almost 10 years with zero issues. so it's not my system/power grid particularly.
When I switch to other than the stock fuses I always choose a higher value and they never get blown up...I have never noticed that this has a negative effect on sound since the fuse has a positive effect may be this compensates....just a few thoughts...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
But if you use a higher rated fuse and you get hit with lightning or whatever you might lose your Extreme if the fuse isn’t taken out first. I think what you’re doing might be flirting with the devil. Fuses are rated in components for a reason so why choose one with a higher value

wil

Jul 22, 2015
You’ll pay full retail but the UI store provides the ability to be alerted when the product is back in stock. I’ve taken advantage of this a few times for some of the UI early adopter product. Shipping is quick once you are able to place your order.

Are these routers Wifi only, or can they be used simply as cable ethernet routers? (I don't have wifi in my audio space.).

And, can anyone comment on what makes these routers better for audio than the Edge router?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing