Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

An additional advantage has been that since the distance between Router and Switch is now shorter, I have been able to replace my AQ Cinnamon with a 1.5 meter AQ Diamond, which has been very good.

Reactions: Rhapsody
Thanks for sharing Franscisco......interesting!

It's amazing to me that these small changes that we never would have paid attention to in years gone by, can make such a noticeable sonic difference.

In many cases it might take nothing more than some "reorganizing".

I have not yet experimented as I don't have all of my final pieces (JCAT, another LPS) in place that I will be installing but it seems from others that are further down the road that vibration control of the modems/routers/switches also can make a very noticeable sonic difference. Just like with the server/dac on throughout the system.

Good stuff and doesn't cost many $$$, which is even better yet.

Wil, not answering for Nuway, but I think that you will find if you start experimenting with different devices and cables on the network side, they all are going to have a different sonic signature. What works for one person in their system with their sonic preferences vs. your sonic preferences might differ.

Point being there is not a magic correct/best set up. It is good to understand that you can tune your system and upgrade your sonics for a lot less on the network side vs. on the other side of the dac. Because someone has X X X and everyone agrees that X X X is "the best", it may or may not be the best set up for our preferences in your system.

Yes, Bob I agree we're in an experimental realm and that results will vary from one environment to another. I'm just curious why Nuway chose to use a Sonore Optical module (fmc) at one end of his FO and the Edge Router at the other end? Maybe just because he had one of each? Or is there a theoretical reason why not to use another Optical Module, as they are are specifically designed to reduce noise from fmc's.

And have any of the experimenters here compared the Sonore Opticalmodule fmc's to Startech fmc's?

Yes, Bob I agree we're in an experimental realm and that results will vary from one environment to another. I'm just curious why Nuway chose to use a Sonore Optical module (fmc) at one end of his FO and the Edge Router at the other end? Maybe just because he had one of each? Or is there a theoretical reason why not to use another Optical Module, as they are are specifically designed to reduce noise from fmc's.

And have any of the experimenters here compared the Sonore Opticalmodule fmc's to Startech fmc's?

Understood, I did not mean to interfere with Nuway's answer, I'm sure he will answer. I was just throwing my two cents in.

Wil, not answering for Nuway, but I think that you will find if you start experimenting with different devices and cables on the network side, they all are going to have a different sonic signature. What works for one person in their system with their sonic preferences vs. your sonic preferences might differ.

Point being there is not a magic correct/best set up. It is good to understand that you can tune your system and upgrade your sonics for a lot less on the network side vs. on the other side of the dac. Because someone has X X X and everyone agrees that X X X is "the best", it may or may not be the best set up for our preferences in your system.
Yes, Will. 100 % agreed with Rhapsody. All depends on your components with their sound signatures and your liking. For example: my Magicos M2 are neutral and benefits more with the use of the planet techs modules. On the other Room I used B&W 802, and replacing the planet tech by the Emile recommended startech modules produce a more blacker background without losing resolution and details, taming the sometimes brighter sound with some recordings on the B&W's. All is a matter of tastes that matches with your components.
I took the idea of the use of the Optical Isolation between the Modem and Router from Emile where I could verified It works better on the Modem - Router than on the Extreme using optical.
In my case and with my Components, Using copper (except optical via Modem - Router) all over the path give me the sound I like the most when compared to my analog rig.

Be safe,

In my experience I don‘t think it works quite like that...at least I wouldn’t call the differences between network components sonic signatures. In my experience a component either offers less noise, heard as greater detail, structure and information, or less, so a component is either better, or not. Sonic signature is taste driven but in my experience, t I think most audiophiles would agree on which component is ’better’, regardless of taste

In my experience I don‘t think it works quite like that...at least I wouldn’t call the differences between network components sonic signatures. In my experience a component either offers less noise, heard as greater detail, structure and information, or less, so a component is either better, or not. Sonic signature is taste driven but in my experience, t I think most audiophiles would agree on which component is ’better’, regardless of taste

We agree to disagree:) My experience has been for instance with the copper vs the FO. They sounded different to me in my systems. Both sounded good, but I preferred the sound of one to the other.

I'm fine if you and all audiophiles think that way, I only think my way.

Keep safe.

We agree to disagree:) My experience has been for instance with the copper vs the FO. They sounded different to me in my systems. Both sounded good, but I preferred the sound of one to the other.

I'm fine if you and all audiophiles think that way, I only think my way.

Keep safe.
Ive never compared copper with FO but in this particular example i can imagine it working exactly as you state....both work well but sound different so in this case taste does play a role.

Ive never compared copper with FO but in this particular example i can imagine it working exactly as you state....both work well but sound different so in this case taste does play a role.
I do agree that the actual routers, modems or switches can be quantified as good/better/best but besides the fiber to copper example different lan cables can sound different but to me different vs. better.

All good.....great stuff.

Last edited:

Unfortunately we can't be sure that "less noise" results in "greater detail, structure and information" . I would easily accept that some types of noise result "greater detail, structure and information" and others seem to be particularly nasty.

But IMHO, in general, disagreement is the essence of high-end and the motor that pushes WBF. There is no "better" ! ;)

A demo M12 Gold switch has arrived at the HK Telegartner distributor.

IMG-20200326-WA0079.jpg
IMG-20200326-WA0080~2.jpg

It's being burned-in and I shall go for an audition next week.

Shall I open a new thread on it? :)

Reactions: CKKeung
I just received my JCAT Gold Switch this morning. I have the new Optimo 3 Duo coming in May. Will also report once broken in.

Reactions: ctydwn
Hi, thought I’d post my results of testing the SR Orange fuse in the Extreme compared to the stock fuse. Of course this is just one data point to throw into the mix as I know others have done this comparison as well.

My comparison was a/b/a/b. This is a bit challenging as it takes 3-5 days for the Extreme to resettle after each full power down, even with the power only off for that short minute to change the fuse. So it took a bit over two weeks. The rest of my system stayed the exact same and is fully broken-in. I used the J-Play Driver in the Extreme throughout. The orange fuse had 400 hours on it before I started making the observations. My findings are below:

Once the Extreme was resettled, with the Orange fuse, playing at moderate volumes for me (75 db-C average) I felt that perhaps there was a little more resolution/detail. This was a close call compared to the stock fuse. But, as I turned the volume up into the low 80 db-c avg, I felt the Orange added a bit of etchiness and tended to be a touch shouty at the mid-high to higher volumes. On the louder side of the spectrum, my peaks top out in the low 90s db-C.

In comparison, using Emile’s stock fuse, man, to my ears, all the liquidity, richness and tonal balance came back across the volume spectrum. It is hypnotic. I was careful to use the same tracks at the same volumes etc. and took copious notes. Perhaps, for my taste, my system is resolving enough and does not need the extra uber detail in the moderate volume range at the expense of the natural, rich, liquid sound I am getting. But that's just a theory. So, for me at least, I definitely prefer the stock fuse. And if that is the sound that Emile wanted me to hear, that is good enough for me and my fuse experiments are over:)

Relatedly, during this comparison, I tried to pay attention to the sound improvement each day during the resettling process (after power switch on the back of the Extreme turned off). By day 3, I was really enjoying the sound, but there was still clearly noticeable improvement between day 3 and 4. To my ears, I really couldn’t tell a difference between day 4 and 5.

Finally, I do use an SR orange fuse in my amp and love it there. Take good care everyone.

Last edited:
Thanks for going to the considerable effort to do this test. It sounds like it was a pronounced difference. If it were subtle, I'd be reluctant to trust my senses particularly with a 3 day lapse between changes. For subtle differences, I trust my audio memory for about 7 seconds! Ideally, I think this kind of test should be done un-sighted but that can add a whole other layer of work.

Btw, what is the stock fuse in the Extreme?

I don't own a CD player, but of the Extreme owners here, who do, how would you compare the sound quality of streaming Qobuz/Tidal through the Extreme to your CD player of the same music? And also, how would you compare the CD player to download files through the Extreme?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing