System for Under US$10,000 MSRP

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The people suggesting streaming are correct. I'm going to push my friend to add a mere few hundred dollars and add some streaming capability.

David Blumenstein is an expert on adding inexpensive digital capability.

What's the program here, David?

A Bluesound or iFi device? I assume my friend would have to subscribe to Qobuz? Can he just stream Qobuz ($11 per month) from his iPhone via Bluetooth to a Bluesound or iFi device?
BlueSound has its own very good app that runs on a phone or tablet. Match that with a good inexpensive DAC like a Vivaldi Apex (just kidding!!)…umm I mean Border Patrol DAC and off you go.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Why not the Blue sound NODE X streamer and DAC itself .
It sounded very good on the brussels show

799 on amazon

Headphone connection incl and everything controlled via the Blue sound App like you say , i might pick one up myself actually

1706730751521.png

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have a node and the internal DAC isn’t close to a good external DAC…

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Thinking about it, I still recommend the Willsenton R8 or a lower line Magnetice model and the EA-220 phonostage from Phasemation. Turntable could be something from Rega or Project and cartridge something like an Audio Technica AT-33PTGII or a similar priced Ortofon.

A far better TT choice, and even less fuss to mess with (no belts), would be a vintage Japanese DD, like Kenwood KD-9010 or Yamaha GT-1000…both of which can be found for about $1000 in very good condition. Both will utterly shame anything new under $5k.

LV speakers are made for tubes. Maybe a Sugden amp or the new Musical Fidelity Class A amp could sound ok.
Agree a valve integrated offers better value than solid state but the friend doesn't want to mess with tubes, so are there any solid state amps out there that offer high end sound for $5K, I doubt it. If he kept his speakers he could probably get a good SS amp for $8K and spend $2K on the turntable.

Reactions: morricab

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Reactions: Rexp

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Agree a valve integrated offers better value than solid state but the friend doesn't want to mess with tubes, so are there any solid state amps out there that offer high end sound for $5K, I doubt it. If he kept his speakers he could probably get a good SS amp for $8K and spend $2K on the turntable.
This is why I was thinking hybrid Pathos, the classic is pretty good. The remix II is interesting but I think too expensive.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Peter, mtemur,

:rolleyes:

I do not understand why you guys can't process that not everybody wants to be an audiophile hobbyist, auditioning extensively at dealers and learning about all sorts of components, and what sounds like what, and what causes what to sound like what, and learning about system matching, etc., etc., and going down all of our various rabbit holes.

Some regular people just want to listen to music by buying a modest but nice-sounding stereo with some advice and some educated guesses thrown in.

If my friend read all of the posts on this thread and researched the pointers in all of these different directions and responded to all of your questions I am quite sure he would throw up his hands and say: "Thanks but no thanks, I'll just keep what I have."
Ron , I feel that we all , yourself included, really do require a little more feedback from your friend regarding the salient points raised in this thread thus far , until then we are all merely waving our saveloys in the wind on this one !

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
and update to a better DAC if he gets into the possibilities streaming offers. Leaves more money to be applied some where else.

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
What solid-state integrated amplifier, preferably with built-in phono stage, would you recommend for R25As?
Hi Ron, this is a fun topic. Caveats: 1) these are separate pieces, 2) you didn't ask me (apologies):

The Konus Audio Integrale 1000 (http://www.konus-audio.com/integrale-1000.html) and Vinyle 500 MM (http://www.konus-audio.com/vinyle-500mm.html) are super good and in budget. The amp is 33 watts/channel into 8 ohms, class AB, and has purity/speed that I really love. The phono is battery powered and sounds great. (My biases are triode amps.) Just lots of fun.

I'm the US importer for Konus so take all of this with the appropriate skepticism.

Last edited:

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Look good! Does it require high efficiency speakers?

Sounds great on e.g. 91dB 1watt/1 meter 4 ohm nominal speakers I carry, if that helps. Surprisingly good bass.

All my lines are high(er) efficiency, but if you're considering a 33 watt/channel amp as a reasonable choice for a set of speakers then I think you'll be in business.

Reactions: Rexp

Holmz

Apr 19, 2022

If my friend read all of the posts on this thread and researched the pointers in all of these different directions and responded to all of your questions I am quite sure he would throw up his hands and say: "Thanks but no thanks, I'll just keep what I have."

what does he have?

Reactions: tima

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I don't understand the preclusion of only new stuff. New turn tables under $10k are so inferior to everything else, and the P-Mount stuff is all used. He's going to need to have something setup once and then just swap stylus on the same cart.

The EAR phono is a superb suggestion for the taste.

A true burning question is how willing is this person to have speakers out in the room? What is the room shape? Are corner horns an option?

• Love
Reactions: Holmz and PeterA

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I don't understand the preclusion of only new stuff. New turn tables under $10k are so inferior to everything else, and the P-Mount stuff is all used.
Probably (understandably) it’s about availability and ease and coming together with gear Ron’s friend can audition… while I’m sure Ron gets the advantages of opening up to second hand but for his friend there’s also the comfortable mainstream perception/illusion that for gadgets like hifi latest = greatest.

There’s plenty of good things in going to second hand but given the brief that’s all moot… sticking with the budget and buying off the shelf is the brief Ron has to work with. It may also be the thing that could hold this to being more about a renewal and replacement and less a potential for something of a real upgrade which the audiophile instinct in us probably innately reaches towards.

While going to recent second hand even just for the speakers/amp combo could take the outcome up quite a ways towards it being a real potential step up… I spose you could offer two solutions one showing what all new buys and contrasting with a proposed setup with an example of going to recent second hand options for the speakers and the amp and put together with a handsome vintage turntable. But that’s making all this much more the kind of commitment an audiophile wants to chase rather than being a straightforward solution for Ron’s friend.

It’ll be interesting to see what Ron will be able to work up as a system at any rate. It’s a tight budget for sure.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Thank you, Tim. I apologize for being sarcastic.

Serious question: is there any decent record cleaning machine in the <$500 range which operates like the VPI 16.5 (squirt liquid, rotates record, vacuumed up by a tube)?

Okay, no proglems.

Short answer: There are options.

Rather than post a longish reply in this thread, I moved your question and response to the new thread below:

Reactions: Ron Resnick and Lee

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I use to buy used. I had so many bad experiences I determned it was less expensive to buy new.
Those JVC TT. If your honest with people, everything I have read says they are great once you spent a whole lot of time and some money hot rodding the unit and getting the electronics rebuilt.
Same for Lenco, Technics and Garrard.

Reactions: Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing