System for Under US$10,000 MSRP

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
Nice one, but we still don't know ANYTHING AT ALL about the room and the Maggies need to be into the room quite a bit.
True we have offered lots of ideas of what we think might fit in to a system at this price range but until we get an idea of what Ron's friend has for space it's all idle speculation.

Reactions: christoph

scericson

Sep 11, 2018
I thought speculation was the order of the day. At $10k cap this guy is not a typical WBF regular. Not as likely to be adjusting his system ad infinitum.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Ron, please have a look at Herb Reichert’s system. Some interesting gear like Heretic speakers, PTP turntable and reasonably priced.
I note that Herb and Steve believe that the purpose of reviews is to “Entertain,” and to “Inform”, in that order. So I’m not alone in this belief.

Holmz

Apr 19, 2022
I thought speculation was the order of the day. At $10k cap this guy is not a typical WBF regular. Not as likely to be adjusting his system ad infinitum.

That cost does no infer that he cannot have a nice system that he enjoys.
And one could spend $50k and have a system that is not enjoyable.

Secondly, in terms of what’s best, a well put together system, should be able to last decades.
Sure “the best” can evolve to be a moving target, but a TT seems more stable than the promise of digital that was made in the 80s… which is still seeming improving every year, and in need of upgrades.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I just had a long talk with my friend.

current loudspeakers: Reference 3A Type MM Gen 2

current amplifier: Adcom

current pre-amp tuner: Adcom

speakers are against the wall, but new speakers could be about 2 feet from the wall

open to floorstanding speakers (stand mounts not required)

open to raising budget cap to about US$12,000 if it makes a material improvement in sound quality

does not want to deal with tubes

would like to have a basic Qobuz streaming ability

not interested in going to a couple of dealers to hear a different speakers

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Living Voice Auditorium R25A loudspeakers $6,350
or
Fyne 501SP $4,800

Music Hall Stealth DD record player $1,649
or
Rega Planar 6 with Exact 2 MM $2,245

Heed Exilir $1,450
or
Bel Canto C6i $3,195 (includes DAC)
or
or Sugden A21 Signature (includes phono) $3,250

LinkPlay Wiim Pro Plus $249 + Qobuz account $13/month

Pro-Ject VC-S2 record cleaning machine $500

Last edited:

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023

speakers are against the wall, but new speakers could be about 2 feet from the wall

open to raising budget cap to about US$12,000 if it makes a material improvement in sound quality

Interesting.

I liked the Reference 3A De Capo not so much their floor standers. The MM would be a previous model to the DeCapo so probably should be upgraded. Having said that I haven't heard many small Medium sized speakers that sound their best 2 feet from anything. Forum members have at at it. I could go with some some Odeon Orfeo.

There should be better electronics available than the Adcom. An integrated with phono perhaps.

Basic streaming would be a Blusound Node, very do able. Subscription to Qobuz or Tidal, maybe even Roon.

Based on the above with the remaining funds I would put as much as I could into the turntable/tonearm/ cartridge combination. Probably a hi output mc or solid mm.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I have a pair of Reference 3A MM gen II Serie Master speakers ( made in France pre current Reference 3A ownership ) sitting around. Have had them +20 years. They are very ugly ( imho ) but can sound very good vs their value. Super minimal crossover and easy to drive.

If NY friend is tired of how they look by all means replace them. But if this is purely a sonic issue they may surprise him if paired with better and more appropriate electronics. 25w SS should be plenty.

Reactions: AudioHR

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Living Voice Auditorium R25A loudspeakers $6,350
or
Fyne 501SP $4,800

Music Hall Stealth DD record player $1,649
or
Rega Planar 6 with Exact 2 MM $2,245

Heed Exilir $1,450
or
Bel Canto C6i $3,195 (includes DAC)

LinkPlay Wiim Pro Plus $249 + Qobuz account

Pro-Ject VC-S2 record cleaning machine $500
I agree the Living Voice speakers are exceptional, although a bit pricey for the budget. An easy load that can be used with low wattage amplifiers tube or solid state and in constant Improvement. Ron, thanks to DB I now have a Wimpro for my office system running into my Baltic 4. The piece is simply a marvel at the price! I find it incredibly fun to put together a system in this price range that makes music.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
I have a pair of Reference 3A MM gen II Serie Master speakers ( made in France pre current Reference 3A ownership ) sitting around. Have had them +20 years. They are very ugly ( imho ) but can sound very good vs their value. Super minimal crossover and easy to drive.

If NY friend is tired of how they look by all means replace them. But if this is purely a sonic issue they may surprise him if paired with better and more appropriate electronics. 25w SS should be plenty.
I suspect that you are correct although some speakers don't age well. Having no experience with this model I don't have an opinion.

I would also offer my opinion that if the user is likely going to place them close up against a wall or furniture then there is little sense in spending to much on any speaker unless it is known to work well close to a boundary.

Reactions: Solypsa

Holmz

Apr 19, 2022

what is wrong with ^them^?

What is wrong with ^those^?

So far, all I have gleaned is that the fellow wants a TT.

Maybe just consider adding a TT to what he already has. There is always more to be done, but that gets it started.

Reactions: mtemur

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I would also offer my opinion that if the user is likely going to place them close up against a wall or furniture then there is little sense in spending to much on any speaker unless it is known to work well close to a boundary.
Yeah too bad the Audio speakers are out of budget...good in a corner ;)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anyone compared Living Voice Auditorium R25A to Fyne 501SP?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Wait, what about the Schitt Ragnarok 2 integrated amplifier with phono stage and DAC ($1,900)?

How does the sound of Schitt compare to the sound of the Class D Bel Canto C6i?

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
what is wrong with ^them^?

What is wrong with ^those^?

So far, all I have gleaned is that the fellow wants a TT.

Maybe just consider adding a TT to what he already has. There is always more to be done, but that gets it started.
Yes, there's a good chance he'll spend $12K and end up with something different but not better.

I'd keep the power amp and speakers and spend the money on a new preamp and turntable. He can try a streamer DAC later from Amazon, risk free as he might not like the sound.
Great sound and pride of ownership from this;(yes it has tubes)
17074723149247644432410709821119.jpg

Last edited:

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Has anyone compared Living Voice Auditorium R25A to Fyne 501SP?
I have indirectly: Fynes in one room, Living Voice in another (identically sized) room, so the comments that follow are approximative at best. Electronics were the NAD (the Purifi model). I don't remember the streamer - source was Qobuz.
In this respect, the Fyne, were no match for the Livings i.e. in more extended FR and musically coherent in that the orchestra sounded complete, more dynamics...)
Again, I am not saying the Fynes are not good speakers, just describing an unfortunate comparison.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com

In this price range If he does not want to have tube amplifier then I am sure he will not get best sound for $10K.

for SS amplification the all in one box (dac/pre/power) class D solutions like devialet or lindemann are in this market.
Speaker for this setup could be Magnaplanar 1.7i

Last edited:
Reactions: Rexp

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
I had Living voice 2way speaker . Those speakers are very good but the Living Voice Auditorium R25A loudspeakers are ok with low feedback push pull tube amplifiers not SS Class AB or D amplifiers.

Reactions: morricab

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
US $6,599.00 NEW

Or a somewhat less expensive trade in with the same Klipsch authorised dealer US $4,399.99

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing