Symposium Ultra platform vs $69 Auralex Isolation platform

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I had a Symposium Ultra with Stillpoint Ultra's under my DÁgostino Stereo amp for quite a while. the Ultra platform used to be under my turntable, but my $100 granite platform and compression springs had superior results. the Ultra platform sounded nice and was better than the Dag amp sitting directly on the floor.

I then read about Auralex Gramma Amp or Loudspeaker Isolation Platform and @ $69 they were worth a try.

My expectations were low to be honest. The bass was tighter, vocals clearer as well as the mid range and top end more open. Overall a lot better than the much more expensive Ultra platform.

After living with this for the last 6 months, I decided to go back to the Ultra Platform. After 2 tracks I comparison the Symposium was less detailed and overall seemed a homogenised musical presentation.

My wife was helping me here and we put the amps back onto the Gamma and even my wife said the music was so much better sounding now. These $69 Auralex Gramma Amp or Loudspeaker Isolation Platform are going nowhere.

they might be cheap, but give the Auralex Gramma Amp or Loudspeaker Isolation Platform a try and you may save 1000's

38197447505_c009fa055c_b.jpg

27301221689_6be974d09d_b.jpg

Reactions: dubselect

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Thanks for that.How much weight can they take?

136kgs. Since you are in Australia, they retail for $89. Got mine from store dj.

This might not get much air time on wbf as they are too cheap :cool:

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Perfect.
You've saved me a fortune.
Did as you suggested and ordered from Store Dj
Thanks Shane.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Perfect.
You've saved me a fortune.
Did as you suggested and ordered from Store Dj
Thanks Shane.

Don't thank me until you used it. You may not like it ;)

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
I'll let you know.
The Les Davis Audio constrained layer damping discs (made in Australia) made a considerable difference underneath my phono preamp.
Worth trying as they are inexpensive for the improvement they bring.
Available in the US as well folks.
I have no affiliation with the company by the way.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I used to use these inner Martin Logans. I found them as good as the 1k Townsend platforms I had

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Totally agree with Auralex. I have the extra large which will take well over 200lbs. It sits under the sub which is also heavily mass damped with over 100lbs of weight on top. We used it under the Gryphon (also 200lbs+ incl mass damping on top). The only reason not to use it under the Gryphon long term is it is tall and thin...it could topple. It now sits on top of Ultra 5s...but the difference was not that massive for a ton more money. But its more that the Auralex is a steal than anything else.

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Hello, Have you tried resting the Amps on the Auralex Without the Stillpoints in place? If so, what were your thoughts of the differences?

Thanks
I would ask the same. There may be a preference of the Stillpoints for the Auralex, so without eliminating them, this comparison of the two platforms may not tell the whole story.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hello, Have you tried resting the Amps on the Auralex Without the Stillpoints in place? If so, what were your thoughts of the differences?

Thanks

I would ask the same. There may be a preference of the Stillpoints for the Auralex, so without eliminating them, this comparison of the two platforms may not tell the whole story.

Originally I tried without the Stillpoints. The Auralex was better sounding.

Having the Stillpoints provides a bit better performance, more with Auralex as it resolves more than the Symposium.

Previous photo without Stillpoints.

33511569264_ef042c1f41_b.jpg

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I'll let you know.
The Les Davis Audio constrained layer damping discs (made in Australia) made a considerable difference underneath my phono preamp.
Worth trying as they are inexpensive for the improvement they bring.
Available in the US as well folks.
I have no affiliation with the company by the way.

Another "budget" alternative is the Iso-Acoustics Iso Puck. About the size of a hockey puck and cost $30 per unit. I installed between the shelf on my speaker stand and my Joseph Audio Pulsars. IMHO, a very good value for the money. Available through Music Direct and Amazon with money back guarantee if you wish to return.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Originally I tried without the Stillpoints. The Auralex was better sounding.

Having the Stillpoints provides a bit better performance, more with Auralex as it resolves more than the Symposium.

Previous photo without Stillpoints.

Thanks..I may give them a try also then

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Totally agree with Auralex. I have the extra large which will take well over 200lbs. It sits under the sub which is also heavily mass damped with over 100lbs of weight on top. We used it under the Gryphon (also 200lbs+ incl mass damping on top). The only reason not to use it under the Gryphon long term is it is tall and thin...it could topple. It now sits on top of Ultra 5s...but the difference was not that massive for a ton more money. But its more that the Auralex is a steal than anything else.
Interesting to know.
Did you ever try the Auralex with the Antileon when you had it?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting to know.
Did you ever try the Auralex with the Antileon when you had it?

I did not have the Auralex under the Antileon...it started out under my Sub. But when i got a bigger sub, i got a 2nd Auralex and started experimenting with the extra one and discovered it also helped the Colosseum...but over time the weight caused the Auralex to start to lean in one direction which looked dangerously like the leaning tower of Pisa! So i got Ultra 5s and they have been stable ever since.

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
I did not have the Auralex under the Antileon...it started out under my Sub. But when i got a bigger sub, i got a 2nd Auralex and started experimenting with the extra one and discovered it also helped the Colosseum...but over time the weight caused the Auralex to start to lean in one direction which looked dangerously like the leaning tower of Pisa! So i got Ultra 5s and they have been stable ever since.
Yes I can understand that a leaning tower of Colosseum is very unsettling.....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes I can understand that a leaning tower of Colosseum is very unsettling.....

Absolutely! ;) I felt much better once I set it down slowly on the Ultra 5s. Even then, they are quite high, and the distributor is bringing Ultra 6s which he thinks will be better. The best would probably be an HRS M3X platform, but none actually have the weight bearing capacity without customization.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes no doubt these are superb isolation platforms/vibration eliminated!
I had major issues with bass vibration coming from the TT since it is quite close to the right speaker of the Ethos. Was looking all over the place for something that was within realistic cost and does an effective job, my what a marvelous job it does indeed!
Suggested & recommend by Bonzo...

However cost was not under $100, rather it was close to $200 for each platform. I am now using two Auralex Isotone platforms, one for the CD player and one for the TT. The TT also sits on 3 separate Nordost sort kones, this added device eliminates all unwanted vibration regardless of volume levels. The McIntosh mcd301 sacd player and Rega RP3 have never sounded this good!

I highly recommend the Auralex platforms, they will surprise you at what they do, and whatever it is, they work extremely well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing