State of the industry - Roy Gregory Editorial

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
You only counted one?

At that moment, I was referring to one specific post Karen Sumner had just made that brought up specific topics relevant to this particular thread, so I shared the reference. On a completely separate matter, yes she has made other interesting posts also.

Manufacturers participating in an online audio forum with hobbyists is another aspect of the current state of the industry.

Hobblecreek

Jun 23, 2018
Colorado
Given the ebb and flow of this thread [from the state of the industry to marketing (both on-line and in print) to manufacturers to reviewers (both on-line and in print) to horn loudspeakers and back-and-forth through each again], it might be appropriate to end the topic by coming full circle – Roy Gregory just posted this past Saturday (04/23) an in-depth review of the Avantgarde Acoustic Trio G3 Loudspeakers and SpaceHorn Subwoofers (in sum, he is a definite fan and I will freely admit that I am a fan of his work, past and present).

Last edited:
Reactions: jep123 and PeterA

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Given the ebb and flow of this thread [from the state of the industry to marketing (both on-line and in print) to manufacturers to reviewers (both on-line and in print) to horn loudspeakers and back-and-forth through each again], it might be appropriate to end the topic by coming full circle – Roy Gregory just posted this past Saturday (04/23) an in-depth review of the Avantgarde Acoustic Trio G3 Loudspeakers and SpaceHorn Subwoofers (in sum, he is a definite fan and I will freely admit that I am a fan of his work, past and present).

I have seen several reviews saying the Trio g3 is something special, I believe they have had a major upgrade , and are also offering a current mode option, which is also a trend, with a number of manufacturers offering this , bakoon , krell, dartzeel, Halcro, bmc, CH precision .

also horns which are old technology also seem to be new again , especially in expensive systems, but hornloading which is common in pro speakers, is increasingly seen in domestic speakers in the lower price brackets

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Fortunately it is a mere glimpse of the amount of gear being sold although personally I wouldn't touch Nordost with a barge pole.

Are you afraid of being enamored with the Odin's? I had the Odin Gold power cable for a couple of days in my system and regretted seeing it leaving, but audiophiles learn how to forget fast! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Pokey77

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
Are you afraid of being enamored with the Odin's? I had the Odin Gold power cable for a couple of days in my system and regretted seeing it leaving, but audiophiles learn how to forget fast! :rolleyes:
I don’t know how you can unhear something. If a component or wire you audition in your system is better than what you have it is EXTREMELY hard to forget.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
No, not at all. Just not my cup of tea. Hunger games it is not.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I am not really much of a believer in cables especially pcs as to me the benefits make no sense , I guess that is a change in the industry megabuck cables costing more that components ….Odin being a great example of megabucks ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am not really much of a believer in cables especially pcs as to me the benefits make no sense , I guess that is a change in the industry megabuck cables costing more that components ….Odin being a great example of megabucks ;)

Interesting. What is the criteria that you use to determine that the benefits make sense? I hate spending money in power cables - all that money just to supply a single frequency of 50 or 60Hz - but unfortunately they do things in a system that no other component do.

Megabuck cables have a meaning in a megabuck system.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
You’re right. For me PC are the most important of all cables on a set up.

Reactions: Pokey77 and Lee

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Sure. They have to be good.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Sure. They have to be good.
Interesting. What is the criteria that you use to determine that the benefits make sense? I hate spending money in power cables - all that money just to supply a single frequency of 50 or 60Hz - but unfortunately they do things in a system that no other component do.

Megabuck cables have a meaning in a megabuck system.
Electrical they make no sense as a benefit, nor has anyone being able to show a benefit electrically, as long as they are electrically safe, and ampere appropriate to the device , in fact many megabuck cables, have not been tested to be safe, they forgo the cost of certifiaction, despite their enormous price

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
The electrical installation and quality you feed your gear is the most important part of the hobby
A bad electrical supply (quality) can make an expensive investment in audio sound sad.
But this is not for being discussed here. It is widely known.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
The electrical installation and quality you feed your gear is the most important part of the hobby
A bad electrical supply (quality) can make an expensive investment in audio sound sad.
But this is not for being discussed here. It is widely known.
I am discussing the rise of very expensive cables in the state of the industry,
it is based on a false belief that you have just professed, which is also part of the state of the industry, things that make no sense being pushed !

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
That’s also true. An expensive cable doesn’t mean good.
And of course the prices in the industry are completely mad. Not only for cables.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
You’re right. For me PC are the most important of all cables on a set up.
Yes. I consider power, power cables, and interconnect cables as the foundation for a stereo. Build a good foundation and any gear attached to it will work at its best.

Reactions: joaovieira

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Electrical they make no sense as a benefit, nor has anyone being able to show a benefit electrically, as long as they are electrically safe, and ampere appropriate to the device , in fact many megabuck cables, have not been tested to be safe, they forgo the cost of certifiaction, despite their enormous price
Does any of your electronic components make any sense "electrically"? IMHO the high-end does not make any sense electrically - we pay very expensively for distortions and noise that please our preference. Power cables are not different from other components. We know they sound different in our systems. Just because we can't correlate what we listen with measurements does not imply they do not carry electrically benefits. Shunyata people have written a nice and interesting technical white paper on the reasons why power cables affect sound quality - have you read it?

Most things - almost all of them - do not make any electrical sense in our hobby. Tubes, for example, are an electrical nonsense! :)

BTW1, all my power cables are certified. Nordost, Transparent and Audioquest, to refer just to three known brands are all certified, otherwise they would not enter the CE market.

BTW2, what are the "electrical benefits" of audio signal cables?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Shunyata people have written a nice and interesting technical white paper on the reasons why power cables affect sound quality - have you read it?

Francisco, after reading the white paper from Shunyata, how many Shunyata power cords did you buy and insert into your system?

Reactions: bonzo75

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Does any of your electronic components make any sense "electrically"? IMHO the high-end does not make any sense electrically - we pay very expensively for distortions and noise that please our preference. Power cables are not different from other components. We know they sound different in our systems. Just because we can't correlate what we listen with measurements does not imply they do not carry electrically benefits. Shunyata people have written a nice and interesting technical white paper on the reasons why power cables affect sound quality - have you read it?

Most things - almost all of them - do not make any electrical sense in our hobby. Tubes, for example, are an electrical nonsense! :)

BTW1, all my power cables are certified. Nordost, Transparent and Audioquest, to refer just to three known brands are all certified, otherwise they would not enter the CE market.

BTW2, what are the "electrical benefits" of audio signal cables?
I don’t think a paper written by a company making power cords is any level of evidence at all, funny you would even suggest that as an explanation
yes people prefer certain types of distortion I agree, but that’s also measurable

it’s good in Europe that they are certified by CE

i am not talking about preference of correlation, I am talking about it having no measurable effect at all
if you like a 300b yes you like the distortion profile, but I can also see that, and go ok that’s what it produces and you like it

with power cords it’s not really the same

we don’t listen to AC, the average home has 2-3% distortion at the wall, so you place you 2 metres of power cable after the 20 metres in your building, and given its high quality it conducts that 3% distortion beautifully to your audio device

but all that nasty distortion, is then converted to DC by you devices power supply , no more distortion

audiophiles are enamred to good power supplies, for obvious reasons

the majority of noise and distortion that predominant from any device is self induced eg the 300b amplifier , and has nothing to do with the power cord which can have no real impact in a well designed power supply , which most audiophiles would strive to buy

when I plug an expensive power cord into an competently designed audio device, we see nothing significant happen in noise or distortion profile or frequency response so there can be no preference as I say it doesn’t make any sense

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
And yet the diffe
when I plug an expensive power cord into an competently designed audio device, we see nothing significant happen in noise or distortion profile or frequency response so there can be no preference as I say it doesn’t make any sense
And yet the difference is so obviously there.…

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing