State of the industry - Roy Gregory Editorial

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
40 pages of text. Time for visuals

Here is < 20k of Altec A5 and Marantz 300b or a 417a amp he uses them alternately

And here is over a million. Add the real estate

The Altec sounds like obvious horn cupped hands coloration with no extension. I have no idea what it sounds like in real life but hope this isn't representative.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Interesting Ked

what I have heard is a lot of accuton driver cones, though they have a slight texture, they have much to admire sound wise
unfortunately this comes with exalted prices, given the expense of even the diamond tweeters , let alone other accuton drivers

I also have had a soft spot for the middle range Martens , have you heard these ? Mingus or Parker
You might want to check out the new Marten Mingus Quintet 2. I just received these speakers 1 week ago! And they are sounding great! Fast, dynamic and super detailed and transparent sound!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Believe High Fidelity, Aries Cerat audio system, Stillpoints, Symphonia horns, Concero amps, Impera - YouTube

Same system from same show with AV Showrooms. The "September in Montreal" from Anne Bisson is phenomenal on this playback.
piano doesn't sound very realistic but this Aries Cerat system sounds frankly bad with a binaural recording:

what does it mean? honestly not much to me. we can find good and bad videos of systems all day is my point. i don't understand the incessant worry about video. they are for amusement only

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I much preferred Acoustats compared to the numerous iterations of Quads, with the exception of stacked 57s. 63s and their later derivatives always lacked some transparency, which was always a major selling point for stats in the first place. The original 57 is much more transparent with gorgeous mids and fine resolution but was tonally unbalanced with weak bass...unless stacked.
he can't stack as he needs 5 feet, and acoustats are also tall

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Micro why dont you buy a 5 foot cone ls and put a dummy horn in front on them.
That way you ll have no more hassle on WBF and you ll be declared a good listener / excellent hearer instantly .

• Haha
Reactions: howiebrou

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
what does it mean? honestly not much to me. we can find good and bad videos of systems all day is my point. i don't understand the incessant worry about video. they are for amusement only

All the animated texts in a small font inserted at various points are something of a distraction to the music which admittedly doesn't need much focus.

Another 16 minutes of ... someone's 'channel' and electronic music. What did you learn from this for your 16 minutes? That there are people who "have so much passion" that they will spend big bucks on audio systems? Isn't that fascinating. Pardon my pearl clutching but if this is the new modern era of social engagement - which seems largely about itself -- you can have it.

And not a peep about the AS2000 turntable.
/rant

Last edited:
Reactions: ddk

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
piano doesn't sound very realistic but this Aries Cerat system sounds frankly bad with a binaural recording:

What it means is A) Setup still matters and B) You could easily tell that with the videos, so they can be used for something other than amusement purposes.

I hope we can agree that the two videos I posted sound excellent with a high degree of realism such that if you were in the market for a system in that price class it would encourage you to hear them live.

Now consider TAS using videos to supplement reviews. You have the words but if they can make high quality videos of the setups, as the reviewer heard them, then this adds a valuable extra dimension to the review. AV Showrooms does a pretty good job of this already as Peter B has standardized his videos with the equipment used and music tracks when possible. I think you get a reasonable slice of what a system sounded like IN THAT SETUP, which we know can often be poor at shows.

Can this boost the industry? Probably not but it could accelerate someone just getting their toes in to getting something really satisfying. It could lead to less merry go round as you can audition virtually a lot first.

Reactions: PeterA

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
he can't stack as he needs 5 feet, and acoustats are also tall
Ah didn’t realize he needed short speakers...in that case I would get an old pair of Acoustat X or model 4 (I think) with an updated version of their servo charge direct drive OTL amp and call it a day. Direct drive stat is still the most transparent and micro dynamics I have heard but big Acoustat panels (these models are wide but not tall) still have the best macro dynamics of any stats I have heard.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ah didn’t realize he needed short speakers...in that case I would get an old pair of Acoustat X or model 4 (I think) with an updated version of their servo charge direct drive OTL amp and call it a day. Direct drive stat is still the most transparent and micro dynamics I have heard but big Acoustat panels (these models are wide but not tall) still have the best macro dynamics of any stats I have heard.

That's the one like Gian has

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
obvious horn cupped hands coloration

Obvious cupped hands coloration refers to the experience of the duos you heard, and the Anima system?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Currently setting up temporary Raidho TD4.8's using the conrad johnson GAT2- ART monoblocks. ... :(
Was Raidho like a trade in for the Wilsons with money or you actually researched and sought these?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
The Altec sounds like obvious horn cupped hands coloration with no extension. I have no idea what it sounds like in real life but hope this isn't representative.
I agree there are clear difference , like one is in a tight basement and the other in an expensive treated listening room, and the presentations are very different , to me that’s it , ascribing some technical deficiency to equipment to one videos seems a stretch imho

my memory of Hugh with Herbie Hancock live, was a little more intense, and close and dirty, than the clean arid Wilson presentation , but ah that’s just my view and unsure what the source here was ?

Reactions: PeterA

wil

Jul 22, 2015
All the animated texts in a small font inserted at various points are something of a distraction to the music which admittedly doesn't need much focus.

Another 16 minutes of ... someone's 'channel' and electronic music. What did you learn from this for your 16 minutes? That there are people who "have so much passion" that they will spend big bucks on audio systems? Isn't that fascinating. Pardon my pearl clutching but if this is the new modern era of social engagement - which seems largely about itself -- you can have it.

And not a peep about the AS2000 turntable.
/rant
While I can appreciate the visual production value of this video, everything else -- from the butler ceremoniously turning on 10 components to the bland background music-- totally un-inspiring. I can't think of a better video to turn people off from high-end audio.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I tried to jump back into this and had to laugh that the state of high end audio is now supplemented by audiophile of the most ardent type spending their evening watching youtube video of other peoples systems. And making assessment of how great or bad the system is via the video. Its really quite entertaining on many levels from the outside.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I tried to jump back into this and had to laugh that the state of high end audio is now supplemented by audiophile of the most ardent type spending their evening watching youtube video of other peoples systems. And making assessment of how great or bad the system is via the video. Its really quite entertaining on many levels from the outside.

Rex, Do you think the power delivery improvement you made at Michael Fremer’s house could be captured on a before and after system video?

Do you think people have any interest in watching high-end audio show reports via YouTube videos?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Rex, Do you think the power delivery improvement you made at Michael Fremer’s house could be captured on a before and after system video?

Do you think people have any interest in watching high-end audio show reports via YouTube videos?
I am confident you can hear changes via a mic, digital upload to youtube, digital download to a Roku and playback through TV speakers.

I don't believe you would know anything other than the sound changed. Whether it was for the better or worse would be presumed by the host reaction and description of what sonic change they heard.

Reactions: Lagonda

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
And my comment was more based on a OP about High End Audion. You know, quarter million to half million invested in a stereo. Yet the conversation turned to audiophiles spending their evening's listening to computer speakers replay some other persons system. Its just sort of amusing on the surface.

Reactions: Solypsa

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Maybe you ask too much for them?

No, my prices are low and were public - I advertised them in WBF and other european forums. The ridiculous offers I got stay private, as they are private correspondence. My cj GAT and LP275 monoblocks easily sold with a lower devaluation.

I will put the Lamm's again for sale soon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing