Speakers for Kondo Ongaku... Please Help

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I would just live with what you have for six months and then see how you feel, especially as you are currently satisfied. Enjoy music vs the equipment for a while.

Reactions: Zeotrope and hogen

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I think I might take up your advise. Thanks! The search has ended…
Agree, but did you switch the amps around to get an idea what two Air Tights might sound like?

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
Agree, but did you switch the amps around to get an idea what two Air Tights might sound like?
I will next week when the audio guy come to setup the TT. I can’t do nothing with my limited mobility right now.

Audiolimits

Industry Expert
Dec 31, 2017
Laughlin,Nv
www.audiolimits.com
I will audition the WVL Son and Berlin next week from my most favorite dealer, also the Classic Audio T-3.4 from another dealer I just get to know yesterday. The Classic Audio dealer offered me to bring in the T-1.5 to Indonesia from his existing stock in the UK, but I don’t wanna say yes yet, although he said no commitment I am not the kind of person that would feel good if I put the dealer I just knew through the burden of importing for my audition and I ended up buying something else not from him entirely.

WVL Son seems to be a spectacular speakers based on the non existence of negative comments about it. If the Son works for me then I might be tempted to just order in its bigger brother London or buy the flagship Berlin he has on stock. I doubt Berlin will work though but will give it a try.

Although there are many excellent options for horn speakers mentioned here, if I can help it I prefer to get something I can audition first. Right now I can audition the following speakers locally:
- Classic Audio T-3.4
- Avantgarde Uno Mezzo
- WVL Berlin and Son (Field Coil not Horn)
Aside from the above speakers, Diesis Roma and Caput Mundi along with Volti Vittora and Rival SE are high on my list for the “buying blind/deaf” category of the selection (ie. if I have to buy blind/deaf between AA Duo Mezzo XD Vs. Diesis Caput Mundi I will pick the later)
A Friend of mine has the Classic Audio T3 older pair with single 15 inch woofer and Ongaku. It sounds fantastic. I'm ordering the new T 3.4 with Field coil drivers for my Ongaku

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I will next week when the audio guy come to setup the TT. I can’t do nothing with my limited mobility right now.
Any updates on your system?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
please do not mix different amps in bi-amping configuration. if you can afford use two pairs of kagura and g-1000. BTW I personally prefer a single pair over a bi-amp pair cause I think bi-amping causes many problems, solving a little. on the other hand using different amps is unacceptable and
best thing to do is getting a good speaker for your single amp instead of bi-amp IMHO.
Agree. You are also adding distortion if you bi-amp. That’s according to Herve at DarTZeel.
Look at more sensitive speakers that can be a better match for one Ongaku. Most don’t realize how power is really needed to play 105dB peaks, which is a minimum if you want to accurately reproduce most types of music. For instance, Art D at Stereophile once measured 107dB peaks sitting in row 5 at a symphony.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I will audition the WVL Son and Berlin next week from my most favorite dealer, also the Classic Audio T-3.4 from another dealer I just get to know yesterday. The Classic Audio dealer offered me to bring in the T-1.5 to Indonesia from his existing stock in the UK, but I don’t wanna say yes yet, although he said no commitment I am not the kind of person that would feel good if I put the dealer I just knew through the burden of importing for my audition and I ended up buying something else not from him entirely.

WVL Son seems to be a spectacular speakers based on the non existence of negative comments about it. If the Son works for me then I might be tempted to just order in its bigger brother London or buy the flagship Berlin he has on stock. I doubt Berlin will work though but will give it a try.

Although there are many excellent options for horn speakers mentioned here, if I can help it I prefer to get something I can audition first. Right now I can audition the following speakers locally:
- Classic Audio T-3.4
- Avantgarde Uno Mezzo
- WVL Berlin and Son (Field Coil not Horn)
Aside from the above speakers, Diesis Roma and Caput Mundi along with Volti Vittora and Rival SE are high on my list for the “buying blind/deaf” category of the selection (ie. if I have to buy blind/deaf between AA Duo Mezzo XD Vs. Diesis Caput Mundi I will pick the later)
Any updates?
I’m a client of WVL and can attest to their excellent customer service and attention to detail.
I would rule out the Classic Audio - they are in a different (Lower) league than the WVL or Avantegarde. When I see a speaker that costs more than $25K and is not physically time-aligned, I hit the Pass button.

Audiolimits

Industry Expert
Dec 31, 2017
Laughlin,Nv
www.audiolimits.com
Any updates?
I’m a client of WVL and can attest to their excellent customer service and attention to detail.
I would rule out the Classic Audio - they are in a different (Lower) league than the WVL or Avantegarde. When I see a speaker that costs more than $25K and is not physically time-aligned, I hit the Pass button.
I would disagree with your opinion of the Classic Audio T3.4 being a lower level than Avant-garde. Classic Audio sounds more real and can play all sorts of music. Avant-garde to me seems to Hifi ish. I have heard Classic Audio several times. I've heard it sound amazing and Ive heard it sound not so good. I believe it's in the choice of electronics, cables, and setup.
Haven't heard the WVL but they have peaked my interest.

Reactions: jeff1225

Audiolimits

Industry Expert
Dec 31, 2017
Laughlin,Nv
www.audiolimits.com
Has anyone heard the Destination Audio Nika. If so what's your opinion of them? They look nice.

Nakor

May 14, 2011
Has anyone heard the Destination Audio Nika. If so what's your opinion of them? They look nice.
I’ve heard them a few times at the Warsaw AV show, in 2018 I believe. R2R tape and Jadis 845 amps. They only played a handful of tracks from tape, so kind of limited sampling, but I enjoyed it a lot. One of my show favourites, for sure.

Audiolimits

Industry Expert
Dec 31, 2017
Laughlin,Nv
www.audiolimits.com
I’ve heard them a few times at the Warsaw AV show, in 2018 I believe. R2R tape and Jadis 845 amps. They only played a handful of tracks from tape, so kind of limited sampling, but I enjoyed it a lot. One of my show favourites, for sure.
That's good to hear. Did they play mostly audiophile type music? Or did they have any classic rock? I'm looking for speakers that can play it all. I've been looking at WVL which seems to be liked a lot out there and sounds very promising. Destination Audio,and Classic Audio.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: Bobvin

Nakor

May 14, 2011
That's good to hear. Did they play mostly audiophile type music? Or did they have any classic rock? I'm looking for speakers that can play it all. I've been looking at WVL which seems to be liked a lot out there and sounds very promising. Destination Audio,and Classic Audio.
I was going to say that they played some Blues Company, but I think it was actually Todor "Toscho" Todorovic's solo effort that year. Track 4 'Oh Lord' from this album.

I've never seen or heard any of the Classic Audio speakers. WVL I've seen in Munich, but never really got to listen properly.

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
I can vouch for WVL being able to do it all. I import the line into the states; feel free to DM/call/text if you're curious.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
A Friend of mine has the Classic Audio T3 older pair with single 15 inch woofer and Ongaku. It sounds fantastic. I'm ordering the new T 3.4 with Field coil drivers for my Ongaku
You wont regret it by far one of the most musical and easy to pair with almost any amplifiers.

Reactions: jeff1225

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Any updates?
Oh wow, how does one work out if a speaker is Time Aligned? Did you open it up and study the drivers or the Crossovers? Im curious to how you managed to trash one brand you don't own and prob not heard but praise the one you do?

Lower League? client or a staff @ WVL :cool:

I don't think I would have the balls to trash any speaker unless I have lived with them. These claims your making are misleading. I have both Full Field Coils T3.4 and T1.5. Iv lived with various speakers, Point Source, Single Drivers, Various Horns, electrostatic and various Studio Speakers both Active systems and passive.

I also Own The Line Magnetic Field Coils and have the LM3 which I would consider more romantic and coloured but very musical.

By Far The Classic Audio Speaker is my Fav till this date with the accumulated experience in circling speakers in the last 28 years. Which is still not much to some of the Titans on this forum but still should mount to something.

The Classic Audio Loudspeaker is the only speaker on the planet which has Beryllium Field Coil Drivers. To my knowledge so far no other Horn Driver has both in a single driver! No only is this is difficult feat to pull of it is by far one of the best horns iv heard to date and that includes those Giants from Japan!!!

John Wolff kept demoing his speaking with SS Power supply. The speaker sound Magical with Tube Power supplies.

Most of the claims you made just don't make sense you cant tell if the speaker is time aligned unless you have physically worked with the drivers and crossovers and measured it.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Any updates?
The Avantegarde is not physically time aligned and uses DSP to time align. In every instance the Classic Audio is a better speaker: better design, better construction and better drivers. The tweeter used in the Avantgarde costs less that $100.

Add the field coil drivers to the Classic Audio, and there is really no contest.

Reactions: Phantom-Audio

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Classic Audio Loudspeakers can do it all with extremely high spl level with out compression.

Iv tried Drum and Bass, Hip-Hop, Hard House, Rock, Classical Musical, Break Beat and EDM. i could not hit compression where the speakers feel stressed out, it just coast along and my ears give up before the speakers does.

Nakor

May 14, 2011
The Classic Audio Loudspeaker is the only speaker on the planet which has Beryllium Field Coil Drivers. To my knowledge so far no other Horn Driver has both in a single driver! No only is this is difficult feat to pull of it is by far one of the best horns iv heard to date and that includes those Giants from Japan!!!
FYI, ESD Acoustics has several speaker models using Truextent Beryllium diaphragms with Field Coil magnets. In fact, they make six different drivers that use both.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing