Some interesting stuff at Munich 2016

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Probably the contender for best sound in the SS category was the Vitus room. Overall, according to me the best sound was a tie between the Absolare/Rockport/Kronos room and the Horn loaded Blumenhoffers driven by all ATM electronics. Will post pics of the Blumenhoffer room tomorrow . Many contenders for downright dull or mediocre sound

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 644
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 641
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 638
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 642
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 638

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Steve they sure look to be very large. I think this venue was purpose built for trade shows and not vacated hotel rooms like we see here in the states. I hope to attend Munich next year and see for myself.

is it my imagination or are the rooms at Munich all bigger than the ones in venues here in the USA

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve they sure look to be very large. I think this venue was purpose built for trade shows and not vacated hotel rooms like we see here in the states. I hope to attend Munich next year and see for myself.
I plan on going as well next year Marty. I am going to the Hong Kong Show in early August this year

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Steve they're way bigger than Axpona. Wish we had that in the US...

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Hard to know about the sound of the Apolyt but to place an LP or cue the tonearm you are going to have to be tall, use a step stool or build a room with a sunken floor.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Leaving out the Silbatone room as you can't buy much of what's in there my contenders for best "commercial" sound are (in no particular order);

1. Boenicke/CAD - some of the best digital at the MOC. Good tone and the music had the PRAT to keep you bopping.
2. Thrax/Dohlmamn - besides the to die for industrial design this room sounded great on both analog and digital. They put a lot of effort into treating so that's part of it.
3. Thomas Mayer/Wold van Lange - using analog only (when I have been there) and an open baffle with a field coil Lowther this was producing some good music and I am not generally a Lowther fan.
4. Illusonic - SImple room with a digital processor/preamp that blew my mind with capability and features. Would have written a check if I had the funds.
5. Broadman/Electrocompaniet - I have had a weakness for these speakers since they were Bosendorfer. I sat in the sweet spot far too long and I loved every minute of it.
6. Vaessen/Mytek - this demo was in an open area on the first floor, no reason it should have sounded good but anything Edith Piaff makes it good in my book.

There are probably a few I am forgetting. Will recheck tomorrow on a last walk thru.

There's lot's of stuff not playing, both serious and kind of funny if it weren't a real product but overall this show is massive and overwhelming. Will try to post some follow up pictures when I have access to faster internet.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I plan on going as well next year Marty. I am going to the Hong Kong Show in early August this year

I like Munich show a lot better than HK show which is really crowded

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Hard to know about the sound of the Apolyt but to place an LP or cue the tonearm you are going to have to be tall, use a step stool or build a room with a sunken floor.

Height 50" & can be ordered 12" shorter . I don't thk anybody need a stool unless they are really short

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

For the R2R lovers . Fr Hemiolia records

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
image.jpg

Massive

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Download your pictures to computer first. Are they rotated properly when you open them to view? Try other programs, if one isn't rotated properly then rotate it and save. This is driving me nuts.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
OK

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 640
  • image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 622
  • image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 620

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Thanks Bruce .
For those who is driven nuts by the photos I posted I suggest that u bypass this thread . It's an optional reading site.
I m postings from my hotel room late at night & don't have access to computer & such comments are not appreciated

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I took photos as suggested . With volume down & the effect is still the same .

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Just waiting at my hotel before flight home.
Travelled up w/Barry2016 (thanx for not letting me get lost), stayed w/Ron Resnick (thanx for putting up w/my snoring!) and met Sean/Sencha (hi!).
A few general thoughts. What is it w/all the "smooth jazz" being played in 90% of rooms, esp the horns rooms that seem to have no rock in the repotoire? Ralph of Cessaro didn't have a single rock lp to demo.
I will really have to bring some music next time.
Sounds of the show?
Far and away the best, the Dohmann/Ypsilon/Wilson room. I'm not the most massive Wilson fan, but the new Ypsilon hybrid monoblocks just made the room disappear as the s/stage extended metres in every direction. Dohmann tt a real contender. Standout was the Ypsilon cdp. Simple 16.44 rbcd, not upsampled etc, blew away other digital at the show by some margin.
Worst? The WE vintage horns. After the big build up for many years, I finally heard them, and wish I hadn't.
Big suprise personally? Meeting Sean Casey of Zu Audio fame (my speakers). One of the genuine nice guys in audio. Passionate, driven, and truly humble/down to earth, and we discussed a little personal project he might do for me. THIS i never expected...
More reports to come...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Thats why i hardly ever go to shows anymore , because you dont get an idea of what products really are capable or not capable of , light jazz/ vocals is more easy to get right
Chosing/ playing music what sounds good on a particular system is one of them , a lot of so called musical audiophile systems fall short when more demanding stuff is played , but music is off course chosen also because of what the targeted audience will play at home , its a " safe " choice
Most of the time a good dealer set up is better , if you have a big enough speaker to pressurize a big room i think a big room can be exxcelent

May be i ll be attending next year in Germany who knows , wherever its held , preferably with convergent and the new horch R2R ;) or lamm Set :) or dartzeel curious how that would sound...... or octave audio research many good choices

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing