SAT Direct Drive Turntable!

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Most reviews include the design philosophy and the construction materials of the component being reviewed -- often straight out of the marketing brochure, because this is the most efficient way for the reviewer to learn this basic background information.

The reviewer isn't writing for himself. I hope you're not offering a justification. Only the mediocre ones use ad copy. Sometimes Fremer digs into the technology with insight. Imo, it's Harley who does the best job of this. But you have to do your own digging to appreciate it. Tell the reader something they don't get from ad copy.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
The zero is already out. Assuming you’re talking about the TechDAS AF0
My answer to your question regarding what is up next for MF...TechDAS Zero; yep, that one PeterA...it will be a very tight fit in his room :).

vbw,
a

Reactions: PeterA

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Look at the bright side, you will at least listen to an entire side and not want to change it mid way

expensive 45 rpm releases are going to take a hit if anyone has to go thru the laborious vacuum on and off procedure to change a side every 9 minutes o_O

Reactions: bonzo75

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
My answer to your question regarding what is up next for MF...TechDAS Zero; yep, that one PeterA...it will be a very tight fit in his room :).

vbw,
a

OK I understand now. I thought he meant another super turntable is being designed and will be released in a year. I did not know he was talking about doing a review from his house of another one of these super turntables.

Reactions: ALF

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
It is my understanding there will be three of these statement tables...SAT, followed by the TechDAS Zero, and the third one? Maybe MF could chime in and share the name of the third one with us...

vbw,
a

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
It is my understanding there will be three of these statement tables...SAT, followed by the TechDAS Zero, and the third one? Maybe MF could chime in and share the name of the third one with us...

vbw,
a
I'm curious too.
What is this 3rd top turntable?

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
It was in his Petty unboxing video. Is it that?

that is not "this one".......and at first glance does not have the 'look' of a super uber level tt (unless it's only partially assembled). that turntable i referenced can be purchased at multiple levels, the 'all-in' version is around $300k USD. so maybe that picture could be a lower level version of it. i'm just speculating there. the tone arm in that picture looks DIY to me. so maybe that tt is something casual and not any finished product.

but really who knows. i was just making a guess with the data points i had in hand.

Last edited:

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas

It's in the background in this one

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I haven't said anything yet but the whole forum notices that you don't have a direct drive like Mike does
I just need to boast that my system sounds exceptional regardless of tt with or without suction..hehe.

But since you mentioned, I might have to buy a dd just to make MikeL keep looking at his rear view mirror. :p

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I just need to boast that my system sounds exceptional regardless of tt with or without suction..hehe.

But since you mentioned, I might have to buy a dd just to make MikeL keep looking at his rear view mirror. :p

that could only happen if you are towing me, with me facing backwards ;)

you run in the clear air Tang. smiling all the way.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Finally, the last sentence of this paragraph kind of sums it up for me, along with Fremer's descriptions of "black backgrounds". Is this the way we hear real music live?

I picked up on that in a different thread.

But the notion [blackness] is still alive if the ever wokeful Fremer is any gauge. He ascribes "seriously blacker backgrounds" to the SAT XD1 CF1-09Ti combination in his Stereophile 12/2020 review - which, by the way, did not thump or beat his Calliburn, but "'whipped it in every sonic way."

Fremer enjoys (and promotes) audiophile 'effects' - sonics more likely heard in a listening room than a concert hall. His reference tends to be other equipment.

Reactions: PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing