SAT Direct Drive Turntable!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I hold an itch to respond to micro's comment better than you K.David. ;)

Tang

Same here, because then I would get a slap on the wrist.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Peter,

I think that this dubious definition is the source of many disagreements. Less sonic signature does not mean that it should carry more information. The process of sound reproduction is selective - the information carried in the recording is always manipulated, some information is fortunately lost during playback , as it would affect our enjoyment and illusion and other is enhanced, making it more easily perceived. One of the main problems of some digital is the excess of recording information, making it sound artificial and tiresome.

Consider for example, the stereo image. It would not exist as we like it if did not add the reflections in our room. It is known that this process will mask some information - it is why most professionals listen in the near field, in a very absorbent room.

The whole process of stereo is too imperfect and subjective to allow such dogmatic definitions. Except for those cases of evident coloration or distortion, rankings of sonic signature (our the damn neutrality) are meaningless as they depend mainly on listener preference.

You're confusing the issue Francisco, recording quality and playback quality are two separate matters. The media, LP, CD, tape, files etc., whatever their quality should be played back naturally without any or as little omission or enhancements as possible, I see that as the role and goal of the system. Sure one might have a sweet tooth and like some artificial sweetener there but too much saccharin on everything becomes tiring and a waste of both good and bad recordings.

david

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
6k for the technics motor and 100k for the plinth.
Hmmm, so it’s closer to $144k euro for the plinth then :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: gian60 and XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Reactions: the sound of Tao

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i think we need to remember that SAT succeeded in peoples minds as an arm somewhat due to the outrageous price. not saying it did not get favorable endorsements too. it surely did. but that price did keep it exclusive.....and desired. an aspirational product.

then he brought out new arms at double that price. not sure if any sold at that $50k+ number......but likely they did. so we should not be surprised at the audacity to charge those prices.

i have to say i admire his confidence.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
i think we need to remember that SAT succeeded in peoples minds as an arm somewhat due to the outrageous price. not saying it did not get favorable endorsements too. it surely did. but that price did keep it exclusive.....and desired. an aspirational product.

then he brought out new arms at double that price. not sure if any sold at that $50k+ number......but likely they did. so we should not be surprised at the audacity to charge those prices.

i have to say i admire his confidence.

Agree would your assessment Mike. The audacity of the SAT arm was backed up by some unique engineering approaches.

I believe this turntable represents something else.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I listened to a direct comparison between a SAT and the top Graham with the same top cartridge. They sounded so different that I easily understood that someone loving the SAT sound could be disposed to pay the high price. If I was mainly an LP listener I would surely dedicate more time to the SAT.

I will wait for more data and information on the turntable. Is it its sound as revolutionary as that of the tonearm? Lets us hope that Mike Fremer will repeat his generous sharing of hirez files, perhaps recorded with his Continuum and the SAT.

Anyway I admire manufacturers that are brave enough to display their high prices openly in forums and dealer pages and do not cache themselves behind the argument that if you have to ask the price you can't afford it. My applause to Mark Gomez on this one.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I listened to a direct comparison between a SAT and the top Graham with the same top cartridge. They sounded so different that I easily understood that someone loving the SAT sound could be disposed to pay the high price. If I was mainly an LP listener I would surely dedicate more time to the SAT.

I will wait for more data and information on the turntable. Is it its sound as revolutionary as that of the tonearm? Lets us hope that Mike Fremer will repeat his generous sharing of hirez files, perhaps recorded with his Continuum and the SAT.

Anyway I admire manufacturers that are brave enough to display their high prices openly in forums and dealer pages and do not cache themselves behind the argument that if you have to ask the price you can't afford it. My applause to Mark Gomez on this one.

Congratulate him for charging a lot of money for something? I don't get it. Congratulate him on engineering something spectacular? Absolutely.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
$168,000 without tonearm for this turntable is so stupid I'd be laughing it it was actually funny. What a joke.

It's much, much cheaper than an AF0 at $ 400,000. In fact, it seems a bargain. Why is it a joke? For all we know, it may be an engineering marvel.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
A bargain? Can't agrree.
I think it's basically a SAT plinth for the Technics mechanism+controller.
Well, sonically it can be very good but pricing it 2 or 3 times higher than almost all top turntables in the market needs not only courage but maybe a bit of insanity.

How much are the AS, Vygers ...etc which are all original designs and productions?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
A bargain? Can't agrree.
I think it's basically a SAT plinth for the Technics mechanism+controller.
Well, sonically it can be very good but pricing it 2 or 3 times higher than almost all top turntables in the market needs not only courage but maybe a bit of insanity.

How much are the AS, Vygers ...etc which are all original designs and productions?

I was just teasing.

And don't forget, that little nice curved lamp next to the turntable (photo in first post) is $ 20,000. After all, it is cryo treated, and it has run through five cycles of magnetization / demagnetization. That makes the photon flow so much more focused, and putting on the LP so much easier!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I wonder how much the SAT record weight will be? 6k or 9k?
At 168k, no margin to have it as part of the turntable package :p

Reactions: cuntigh

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Apparently the new SAT record weight is also the same price as an AF1P :cool:

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Ok it's a re-plinthed Technics - but I like the fact that the design goes along the GP Audio, and Rega Naid route of making a compact TT. Logic dictates that as things get better/more high tech they become more compact. I personally love the simple looks as opposed to 'audio jewellery'. That said $160K is an awful lot of live concerts in exclusive seats.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Anyone can get
It's much, much cheaper than an AF0 at $ 400,000. In fact, it seems a bargain. Why is it a joke? For all we know, it may be an engineering marvel.

Although you were teasing, considering all you know (very, very little) we can not exclude that the SAT turntable can be an engineering marvel.

The engineering constraints of the SAT turntable were much more strict tham the AF0 - less weigh, smaller are and a lower cost. If the turntable can subjectively rival the similarly priced units it is surely an engineering success.

Surely no one expects miracles in this hobby. However considering that a significant number of audiophiles with good credentials - I know of a few - tell us that the SAT is the best available tonearm, I will not discard any hypothesis at the this moment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing